Microsoft Ready to Milk Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Microsoft Ready to Milk Fallout 3

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Microsoft is ready to <a href="http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/ ... 62129.aspx" target="_self">steal your lunch money</a>. With the release of <em>Fallout 3</em>, they are ready to jump on the wagon and pimp out downloadable content
</p><blockquote><p><em>After a ten-year hiatus, Fallout 3 made its return to the PC today. I&rsquo;d
like to congratulate the folks over at Bethesda. After a decade, the
bar was set pretty high, and they worked countless hours to make sure
your expectations were exceeded. Personally, I think the execution of
this classic PC franchise could not have been better. Fallout 3 is a
blast, and if you enjoy it as much as I do (I&rsquo;m betting you will), it
will keep you glued to your PC. </em></p><p><em>
This is the first title to support Games for Windows &ndash; LIVE since we
made it a free gaming service, and I can&rsquo;t think of a better title to
launch with. As you will see soon, we have some exciting updates just
around the corner. Updates that we believe will help make your PC
gaming experience even better, including a marketplace to let you
download more content for your games, a completely redesigned in-game
experience built just for the PC, and more. These changes are the
result of our focus in building a service PC gamers will love, and your
input plays a big part. We&rsquo;ve been listening.</em></p></blockquote><p>I can see the logic of DLC: it's a great marketing ploy and encourages replay. However, it makes gamers feel like when they buy the game, they're buying an unfinished product. Expansion packs feel more morally right. At least then, you're buying quite a bit of content, and not just some <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/04/bethe ... -backlash/" target="_self">horse armor</a>.
</p><p> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/">Voodoo Extreme</a></p>
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

Those feelings are going to be even harder here because there are quite a few bug with the game and everyone that was suckered into buying it are all butthurt and crying over in Beth's forums. ESPECIALLY ps3 owners.
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Whoever wrote that has a severely limited imagination, or is lying through their teeth for profit's sake(pick the latter).

I can imagine a few things that would make Fallout 3 universally better. Including shadows, and weather effects would have been cool. Also GTA4 would probably have been a more successful game to launch whatever it is they are launching with.

From the perspective of the game companies, DLC is much cheaper. There is obviously a huge amount of profit to be made. When a company puts in as much work as it takes to make an expansion, they have to invest alot in the product. It had all better be great, and look great before release or people may lose interest in the original game. It's a huge leap.

DLC doesn't take nearly as many employees to come up with. You don't need to manufacture anything, and you basically are just feeding the fanboys their scraps until the sequel comes out. In this situation, you can almost guarantee that not only will you be able to sell this content to the people who would have bought the expansion as well, but you can also bet that many of the players who would not have invested in the expansion pack would be more willing to spend just five bucks on some extra goodies.

It wreaks of corporate money men who sit and think all day about ways to screw people who admire artwork. People invest alot emotionally into videogames, and movies, but they forget that the people who make the big games and the big movies are also better at squeezing you dry of your cash.

I think its pretty despicable what gaming mags and sites have become. I don't care for myself, because honestly I play maybe four games a year. I buy maybe one. What pisses me off is visiting one of these sites or opening a magazine, and recognizing how it manipulates teenage boys to go out and buy absolute shit. These reviewers pretend to be actual fans of games but they are part of a machine that is degrading the whole thing. Instead of games being made for the purpose of long-term enjoyment and for the furthering and deepening of the gaming experience, we get truckloads of disposable garbage, that looks good but doesn't have any substance.

Well, that's my rant for the month.

What I'm after is the potential of videogames. That is what interests me, and is why I still check IGN every once in awhile to see what new shit has been thought up. It bugs me, though, to see obvious crap that is somehow sold to morons for the profit of dickheads. I see videogames already as a waste of money, i mean 60 bucks for an easily scratched disc!?!? but to see games being sold which offer very little just pisses me off. To see FPS after FPS come out, all with the same exact structure, frustrates me.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

Preach it brother. Amen.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

I agree. I too have recently saw how much of a waste of money it is and was. I agree with you
Our Host!