Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Moloch04 wrote:Look and feel wise, of the packaging, it definitely reminds me of FO 1 & 2. I have played every fallout game, from the greatness of FO1 to the horror that was FO:BOS. I am installing now, but I really think this game has the chance to be great. Good gameplay, excellent gaphics, good story, and the themes and some humour from the original Fallout. Honestly, does everyone hate it so much because it isn't an over head view, pixelated game? So what if it took 10 years and two companies, the it is here! Play and enjoy!
*facepalm*
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Well first of all, they fucked up the shortcut icon. If you break into the armory in Megaton, a robot attacks you and suddenly everyone hates you. Also, it autosaves everytime you enter/leave a building. VATS is kinda wonky and at the start of the game I got a sniper rifle which did triple the damage of my shit pistol and shit hunting rifle.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

Ahhhhh shit.

They put Harold in.

Edit: Links or it didn't happen
As you make your way through the decaying remnants of the District and its surrounding areas (you'll visit Arlington, Chevy Chase, and other suburban locales), you encounter passive-aggressive ghouls, a bumbling scientist, and an old Fallout friend named Harold who has, well, a lot on his mind.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3 ... ead-review
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
Moloch04
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Moloch04 »

entertainer wrote:
Moloch04 wrote:Look and feel wise, of the packaging, it definitely reminds me of FO 1 & 2. I have played every fallout game, from the greatness of FO1 to the horror that was FO:BOS. I am installing now, but I really think this game has the chance to be great. Good gameplay, excellent gaphics, good story, and the themes and some humour from the original Fallout. Honestly, does everyone hate it so much because it isn't an over head view, pixelated game? So what if it took 10 years and two companies, the it is here! Play and enjoy!
*facepalm*
If you are going to respond, at least say why you think what I said is facepalm worthy and what you think of the game.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Why should i? You're no different then any other "you hate it because it's not isometric and not turnbased etc." fo3 fanboy. Maybe you should have at least followed the development to have any idea why this game has nothing to do with Fallout.
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

Oh yes, the first wawe of sdf are here.
Last edited by Antimeasure on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

Won't last long. Not enough bloom on the forums here.
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Lock up your THOUGHT VIRUSES, children. :drunk:
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

You gain a perk every level, you don't get traits, and gun fights are easier without VATS. Wasteland feels kinda like a wasteland I guess, it's sorta cool running around and seeing blown up shit.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Subhuman wrote:I'm still not even sure which systems it's available on. I haven't played any new games in forever. I still only have a PS2 and a four year-old iBook. But I walked by an Electronics Boutique at the mall the other day, on my way to return a fairly ugly knit cap that I only bought because it was part of a sale, and I saw I giant cardboard standup ad for Fallout 3. And a part of me wanted to stop, and stare for a while, and reminisce about a time when I anxiously awaited PC Gamer's latest demo disc just so I could experience a few minutes of the latest and greatest gaming experience from the newest and hottest game developers at a time when the Internet hadn't completely taken over every facet of our gaming existence and the Spice Girls (or at least N'Sync) still ruled the pop charts. I missed that feeling of anticipation, of hallowed, hushed discovery when I finally installed the game and booted it up, of feeling like I was stepping foot into an entirely new world, a thrilling, scary one, the kind that can only be created by mad men at the top of their game willing to share their vision with an unsuspecting public. And I was disappointed that nothing in the gaming world has quite grabbed me since those days when I was a young, impressionable thing willing to bow down in reverence to any wise soul who could teach me exactly how to play the original System Shock on Windows XP. But I tell ya, that cardboard poster stirred something in me. I haven't been near a Fallout game in years, given that my current operating system (and life) doesn't permit me to, but I can say with absolute certainty that I cannot wait to get my hands on this game, to experience it for myself, to bask in the thrill of that familiar, terrifying, brilliant Fallout atmosphere after far too long a hiatus. I don't care what the reviews say, I don't care what y'all say. I'll decide for myself.

I'm drunk right now, can you tell>?
Well said. If we're going to get all nostalgic and start spouting cliches left and right then I'll get right on it: I really want to love this game. Fallout and Fallout 2 where games that defined a genre, introduced a hell of a lot of interesting ideas into my life and created an experience than I can still reminisce about with my buddies and other people who played the games. I've had dreams about the Fallout world, I've written some bad short fiction about it, I've ran roleplaying games set in the world (which were well received and fondly remembered by the players), so it's something that's now a part of me whether I like it or not.

I was actually entertained by the promotional materials that came out for F3; the signs pointed to Maybe. I'd be willing to forgive the 3D first-person view (which I hate in most games, let alone this iconic series), the typical BethSoft fetch/steal/join quests that litter their endless RPG-wannabe games and even the butchery of Fallout canon; but what I've seen so far is such a soulless Frankenstein's monster that it makes me weep. I've watched play video after play video and every time it hits me like a sack of gravel: it's a sad little pastiche, as if a mediocre 60-year-old painter was intentionally making copies of the Great Masters and using the power of a big marketing campaign to make everyone love these "new" works. It copies everything from the old Fallouts but the charm is as convincing as a prostitute's banter or a bartender's feigned concern. It's a clone, a body-snatched version, an imposter that tries and fails to recapture the glory. It may quack like duck and look like a duck, but it's a weasel.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Alright this thread was about your thoughts about Fallout 3 once you've played it. We all know it's probably gonna suck, no need to extrapolate.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

S4ur0n27 wrote:no need to extrapolate.
no need to play
I miss the good ol' USSA.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Main page newstory updated!
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Really, I like it as an FPS but not as a Fallout game. It's Oblivion with guns. They have a sword, some same voices from Oblivion, and the same shit from it like, you save a guy from drugs and his family doesn't care. They try to sell you their dumb shops shit. Brotherhood of Steel is apparently a group of super do-goods with a mini nuke launcher wtf. Only thing I like is the emptiness and killing people while listening to old music. The 10mm pistol sounds weak as fuck and I didn't know a guy with 19% BG skill could handle a rocket launcher, flamer, and mini gun like a pro. I took out centaurs and a shit ton of mutants.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Sums it up rather well.
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

The plastic box smells nice, kind of like a library.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Just got out of the vault and have to say it was probably one of the most boring beginnings to have in a game.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Mechanurgist wrote:
Subhuman wrote:I'm still not even sure which systems it's available on. I haven't played any new games in forever. I still only have a PS2 and a four year-old iBook. But I walked by an Electronics Boutique at the mall the other day, on my way to return a fairly ugly knit cap that I only bought because it was part of a sale, and I saw I giant cardboard standup ad for Fallout 3. And a part of me wanted to stop, and stare for a while, and reminisce about a time when I anxiously awaited PC Gamer's latest demo disc just so I could experience a few minutes of the latest and greatest gaming experience from the newest and hottest game developers at a time when the Internet hadn't completely taken over every facet of our gaming existence and the Spice Girls (or at least N'Sync) still ruled the pop charts. I missed that feeling of anticipation, of hallowed, hushed discovery when I finally installed the game and booted it up, of feeling like I was stepping foot into an entirely new world, a thrilling, scary one, the kind that can only be created by mad men at the top of their game willing to share their vision with an unsuspecting public. And I was disappointed that nothing in the gaming world has quite grabbed me since those days when I was a young, impressionable thing willing to bow down in reverence to any wise soul who could teach me exactly how to play the original System Shock on Windows XP. But I tell ya, that cardboard poster stirred something in me. I haven't been near a Fallout game in years, given that my current operating system (and life) doesn't permit me to, but I can say with absolute certainty that I cannot wait to get my hands on this game, to experience it for myself, to bask in the thrill of that familiar, terrifying, brilliant Fallout atmosphere after far too long a hiatus. I don't care what the reviews say, I don't care what y'all say. I'll decide for myself.

I'm drunk right now, can you tell>?
Well said. If we're going to get all nostalgic and start spouting cliches left and right then I'll get right on it: I really want to love this game. Fallout and Fallout 2 where games that defined a genre, introduced a hell of a lot of interesting ideas into my life and created an experience than I can still reminisce about with my buddies and other people who played the games. I've had dreams about the Fallout world, I've written some bad short fiction about it, I've ran roleplaying games set in the world (which were well received and fondly remembered by the players), so it's something that's now a part of me whether I like it or not.

I was actually entertained by the promotional materials that came out for F3; the signs pointed to Maybe. I'd be willing to forgive the 3D first-person view (which I hate in most games, let alone this iconic series), the typical BethSoft fetch/steal/join quests that litter their endless RPG-wannabe games and even the butchery of Fallout canon; but what I've seen so far is such a soulless Frankenstein's monster that it makes me weep. I've watched play video after play video and every time it hits me like a sack of gravel: it's a sad little pastiche, as if a mediocre 60-year-old painter was intentionally making copies of the Great Masters and using the power of a big marketing campaign to make everyone love these "new" works. It copies everything from the old Fallouts but the charm is as convincing as a prostitute's banter or a bartender's feigned concern. It's a clone, a body-snatched version, an imposter that tries and fails to recapture the glory. It may quack like duck and look like a duck, but it's a weasel.
Couldn't have said it better. My attachment to Fallout has absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay, but everything to do with the substance of the story, and the characters, the places, and real memorable choices I had to make. I think about the Junktown missions still. I can say that I found something out about myself through those missions! I didn't choose to do the "right" thing or the "wrong" thing. I chose the most profitable choice, and was quite proud of the fact that I played Killian and Gizmo, killed them both, and came out on top. I don't know how it was done, but that game had magic in it for me. I would love to feel that again, but it isn't there.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

AnneGwish wrote:Won't last long. Not enough bloom on the forums here.
badumtish
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Also, I submitted awesome picture into a contest a NMA, so go over there and say how awesome it is so that I win the shirt and become famous like my dead mother always wanted

Our Host!