Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=27">Top Story: Fallout 3 Released!</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>I'm opening up this news thread so you can post your thoughts about <em>Fallout 3</em>. Some of you may already have it, others may be waiting to pick it up or waiting for the mail to come! So post your thoughts by clicking the Comments link below.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Fallout 3!</strong> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'll post your general thoughts here, as DAC Community Quicky Reviews.</p><ul><li>Macky: <span class="postbody">I am astonished with the product on its own
merits, regardless of the Fallout legacy. Surprisingly, the game is
absolutely useless outside of the Hard and Very Hard settings.</span>
</li><li><span class="genmed">Edward_R_Murrow: </span><span class="postbody">Fallout 3 is an game screwed over by what
"Bethesda does best"; idiotic writing, terrible atmosphere, and way too
damn much dungeon crawling.</span></li><li>Myron: <span class="postbody">It's a really great game and i'm having a great time playing it but to me is not worthy of being called Fallout 3.</span></li><li>RAK: It ain't the Fallout we love and remember, but it is a perfectly acceptable and playable game.</li><li>Falloutian: <span class="postbody">Feels like a pretty good game, if bit too
much FPS. Constant crashing kills it all (on my PC which more than
meets minimum requirements). Name should had been Fallout 3D.</span></li><li>Jimmyay86: I just got into Megaton and I'm willing to give it a chance but this isn't Fallout beyond the in-game references and perks and shit.</li><li>S4ur0n27: It's not that bad, but it's still very much like Oblivion in a lot of ways, mostly the dialogues, lifeless NPCs, and a boring main quest.</li><li>OriahUlrich: Fallout 3 is a great game. I just wanted to play it this morning and that is what i loved from the old Fallouts. It just brings me in.</li><li>Spokomtonjdub: It's one part watered down shooter and one part watered down rpg. So in essence, it combines into a pretty mediocre experience.</li><li>Doc Hill: It's a decent game, it has flaws, but it's not crippling, and frankly....I like it.</li><li>Nofu: For some reason the locations I stumble across feel like hack-and-slash grind-em-up exp-mills. So far in F-3 the only &ldquo;dungeon&rdquo; I found interesting was venturing to the source of the fireants.</li><li>Maddmaxx: It fun and still has that Fallout flavor.</li><li>Dogmeatlives: It's actually kinda enjoyable as a game itself, thanks mostly to the environment and design done in the previous games, but there were times while I was playing that I longed badly for a 3rd person turn-based game.</li><li>Wolfman Walt: Game is a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I rented it on Wednesday and I'm already at the end without particularly paying attention to the main quest.</li><li>Nicolai: Kinda alright so far, I'm having fun with it.</li><li>MadBill: Compared to other Fallouts, it fails at almost everything. Compared to a glass of milk, it manages to hold its own. The glass of milk has higher replay value and a better storyline, but Fallout 3 has more graphics.</li><li>Jetbaby: It's not a shitty game, it's just very sub-par, just like Oblivion.</li><li>Jiujitsu: It's fun. Hard in Very Hard mode. Doesn't have quite the same feel as Fallout, but it's not way far off.</li><li>VasikkA: The dialogue is just tard. The thing with Fallout was that you could always find a dialogue option that suited you. In Fallout 3, I'm just trying to pick the least horrible line. It's almost as if I'm cheating myself.</li><li>Smiley: Unplayable due to freezes, plays like oblivion, in that all dialogue is about nothing, too much irrelevant gameplay and not enough sex.</li><li>Haris: So played it now, best game in a long time. This is the "fallout rpg" of new gen games that i waited for.</li><li>Senisterdenister: My two cents though, its an alright game, but it's not a good Fallout game.</li><li>Manoil: It's a new take on Fallout, yeah, but I would say in the end, they are retaining the spirit, feeling, and unlike past abominations, the continuity. Even more, they very well might be doing it credit.</li><li>Frater Perdurabo: So far, it seems to me that I'm playing an Oblivion expansion pack and not Fallout.</li><li>Pooperscooper: Just got out of the vault and have to say it was probably one of the most boring beginnings to have in a game.</li><li>[HpA]SniperPotato: Really, I like it as an FPS but not as a Fallout game. It's Oblivion with guns. [updated]</li><li>Moloch04: Good gameplay, excellent graphics, good story, and the themes and some humour from the original Fallout.</li><li>The Stainless Steel Rat: It is a good game. I'd even go so far as to say it's a great game. But it is not, and never really attempts to be, a recreation of the original Fallout brand</li><li>Pope Viper: Suck. Hard.</li></ul><p>

Last update on 12/30 9:37 PM EST. </p><p>If I missed you, be sure to PM me and I'll post your thoughts up
</p><p>
</p>
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Suck.

hard.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I will pick up my copy at 10:00 tomorrow morning. More soon (ya'll).
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

My copy should be delivered here tomorrow if Amazon is right about the guarantee release day delivery thing. My only concern is that they shipped it today and that would mean it would probably have to have overnight shipping but I only payed 6 bucks which included the release day delivery. I expect to be very disappointed tomorrow when it's not here, since overnight is usually at least 10 bucks or more.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

I'm still not even sure which systems it's available on. I haven't played any new games in forever. I still only have a PS2 and a four year-old iBook. But I walked by an Electronics Boutique at the mall the other day, on my way to return a fairly ugly knit cap that I only bought because it was part of a sale, and I saw I giant cardboard standup ad for Fallout 3. And a part of me wanted to stop, and stare for a while, and reminisce about a time when I anxiously awaited PC Gamer's latest demo disc just so I could experience a few minutes of the latest and greatest gaming experience from the newest and hottest game developers at a time when the Internet hadn't completely taken over every facet of our gaming existence and the Spice Girls (or at least N'Sync) still ruled the pop charts. I missed that feeling of anticipation, of hallowed, hushed discovery when I finally installed the game and booted it up, of feeling like I was stepping foot into an entirely new world, a thrilling, scary one, the kind that can only be created by mad men at the top of their game willing to share their vision with an unsuspecting public. And I was disappointed that nothing in the gaming world has quite grabbed me since those days when I was a young, impressionable thing willing to bow down in reverence to any wise soul who could teach me exactly how to play the original System Shock on Windows XP. But I tell ya, that cardboard poster stirred something in me. I haven't been near a Fallout game in years, given that my current operating system (and life) doesn't permit me to, but I can say with absolute certainty that I cannot wait to get my hands on this game, to experience it for myself, to bask in the thrill of that familiar, terrifying, brilliant Fallout atmosphere after far too long a hiatus. I don't care what the reviews say, I don't care what y'all say. I'll decide for myself.

I'm drunk right now, can you tell>?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

snip
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I'm not even gonna get it, so it must suck.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

I will suppress the urge to utter my thoughts as this would probably end up in a really ugly shitfest. :goatse:
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

For free lulz, go check out the tech support pages on Bethsucks forums..

Yeah yeah, enemy territory, suck it up. This is some classic shit here.
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

I'm venturing into the wasteland in a few minutes, I'll let you all know how this shit pile turned out.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Is it ok to post spoilers here? Coz if it is, please don't read or remove the following:

Fallout 3 sucks!
���������
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Well yeah, I knew thats going to happen. Did you get to the part where

Bethesda fails at game making?

END SPOILERS

edit: Fucking russians and their stupid fucking language. I somehow hit cancel instead of install when it was 100% installed? Lol?
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

snip
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
REVERANDPIP
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by REVERANDPIP »

give it till new year and it will be in the sales, its not gonna exactly sell out is it?
The Stainless Steel Rat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by The Stainless Steel Rat »

Actually, I think it'll do fairly well.

If the fan base is willing to listen to one of the old, ancient hardcore fans.

First, let me establish my qualifications: I was a member of the original Unwashed Villagers and once upon a time in 99 I did a sprite comic for this very site. Since then I have gone on to journalism as an editor, so I've learned a few things.

Now, on to my thoughts on Fallout 3: It is a good game.
I'd even go so far as to say it's a great game.

But it is not, and never really attempts to be, a recreation of the original Fallout brand.

In many ways I'd describe it like the new dawn of the dead movie: It's an awesome movie worthy of the name 'Dawn of the Dead', but it is not a George Romero dawn of the dead.

Instead, it exists as a larger, simpler, but still effective tribute to the originals.

Now, I'm not going into details here. I'm putting together a video review over the week and I've got an article I need off my desk in 25 minutes. But I will further back up the following thoughts later, in an article:

Visuals: Awesome. A

Feel: I'll give them a B- for attempting to hit that FO comedy, and the style is their own. With us old timers, some will love and some will hate.
Gameplay: Good, but with some quirks that can frustrate

Audio: Nice. (Note, turn off Radio when sneaking. They can hear it.) A

AI: Great, but can get a little glitchy. B-

Story: Enjoyable, and worth a round. Better than FO:T by miles, I'd put it below Fallout 1, 2 though. B+

Editors Tilt: I've waited for this game for a long time, and while part of me compains in a sixteen year old voice "but it's not Tim Cain!", I feel like the effort combined along with how they handled interplay allows me to put this at a A-

And as a final word: Don't hate Bethesda, Hate Interplay for purposely screwing the series.

-Signing off, the Rat
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

so you assholes actually buy the game after all bitching and moaning?

WAREZ LINK REMOVED
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

Just waiting for Razor or one of those guys to finish a decent copy of the game before I DL it. No point in wasting the HD space on a piece o shit clone that some ruskie did in his basement.
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
mcdonis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mcdonis »

Just got my copy today....

One thing of interest was the manual. The cover was an inmaged copy of the Fallout 1 manual. That in itself would have been cool had it been spiral bound and filled with orginial material. Instead its of same size and shape of normal PC game manuals.

So I guess it was kind of neat.
Moloch04
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Moloch04 »

Look and feel wise, of the packaging, it definitely reminds me of FO 1 & 2. I have played every fallout game, from the greatness of FO1 to the horror that was FO:BOS. I am installing now, but I really think this game has the chance to be great. Good gameplay, excellent gaphics, good story, and the themes and some humour from the original Fallout. Honestly, does everyone hate it so much because it isn't an over head view, pixelated game? So what if it took 10 years and two companies, the it is here! Play and enjoy!
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

Oh look it's shiny :nostalgia:

WAREZ LINK REMOVED
Our Host!