First 10 out of 10 for Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

First 10 out of 10 for Fallout 3

Post by Wolfman Walt »

<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a><br><br><p>It was only a matter of time, I suppose. The Official Xbox Magazine (AKA OXM) gave game a 10/10. The remarkable thing about this score though? They come out and say the game isn't perfect in their closing paragraph, stating:<br><br><em>"By now you've probably noticed that we're giving Fallout 3 a big 'ol score, so in interest in of quelling any outcry - no, this game is not perfect, in particular, we really wish that Bethesda had worked more on the dialogue system. In this post-Mass Effect era, it's dissapointing not being able to hear yourself talk and have to pick your dialogue options from big blobs of text. Other quibbles: NPC chatter often overlaps in a comfused tangle, the third person view is more than a bit crap, and we were always bummed that in such an otherwise detailed world, no one noticed the corpses of their friends who we'd just stealth killed. The biggest annoyance, though, is not being able to quick travel unless you're outside..."</em><br><br>It takes balls to give a game what can be defined as a perfect score, since they've admitted that there will never be a 11 out of 11 then spend a paragraph listing complaints that seem pretty remarkable in my book.<br><br>You can read most of the article <a href="http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgkj5.jpg" target="_self" name="http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... g">here</a> or pester <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45800" target="_self">NMA</a> about it since I first spotted it there.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Last edited by Wolfman Walt on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Sounds more like a 10/15 to me, eh.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

In this post-Mass Effect era
God damn, what the hell is with everyone labeling Mass Effect as the pinnacle of dialogue innovation these days?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Up = Good, Down = Bad. Conversation system genius!
mcdonis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mcdonis »

Silly me and here I thought 10\10 was perferct...

I love the new math...

So does Beth get to purchase the score or just the words in the review. Or do they charge more for both. And speaking of that how about the gaming mag industry just go ahead and standarize their method and make all overall scores buyable and the acutal review not. That way everyone is happy.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Basically the score. Here's how it works, atleast for Fallout 3 from what I've seen thus far. The reviewers had to review the game under Bethesda's supervision. If you read the review of French Magazine CanardPC, you can basically guess how it goes. You get invited and get told "We'll let you review _____ game, BUT you must give it __ or higher." Doing otherwise would cause them to deny the magazine previews, demos, early reviews, etc.

That's the inherent problem with the game magazine industry.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

snbip
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Stainless wrote:God damn, what the hell is with everyone labeling Mass Effect as the pinnacle of dialogue innovation these days?
That's what I was thinking. No comparison with the dialogue in the original Fallout? Oh that's right, they haven't played it.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

It's not really a required reading, a journalist isn't required to be a fan of the series. I'm sure DAC will write its own review where such issues will be fully addressed. :)
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

mcdonis wrote: I love the new math...
simple rounding error
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Up = Good, Down = Bad. Conversation system genius!
Even then, the outcome was pretty much the same.

**walks up that straight path**
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

In this post-Mass Effect era, it's dissapointing not being able to hear yourself talk and have to pick your dialogue options from big blobs of text.
How is picking an option that directly represents what the main character is meant to say worse than choosing short sentences and then having to sit through your Shepard's rants on angst and wrist cutting?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Cthulhugoat wrote:
In this post-Mass Effect era, it's dissapointing not being able to hear yourself talk and have to pick your dialogue options from big blobs of text.
How is picking an option that directly represents what the main character is meant to say worse than choosing short sentences and then having to sit through your Shepard's rants on angst and wrist cutting?
Well spoken.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Cthulhugoat wrote:
More importantly, what good is any dialogue when most situations are resolved via fisticuffs.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

"I had no option but to kill him."

:axe:
Manoil wrote:Well spoken.
ty
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Cthulhugoat wrote:
Manoil wrote:Well spoken.
ty
By all means, man. Shepard's attempts at sounding heroic or dramatic incited hours of laughter at his expense.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I would've been glad to voice the main character for Bethesda but they never asked me to.

:sadblinky:

Also, it's xbox magazine - easy breakdown:

It looks like a pretty good game - it's on our own console - we really wanted to give it an 8.5 or 9...but...it *is* the same people who made last year's GotY (or was that 2007 now...)

10/10. Perfect! (almost)

Also, is anyone surprised that the 3rd person view is shit? Ask anyone who played oblivion how long you could remain in 3pv - as long as you didn't want to talk to anyone or fight anyone, it was awesome cause you could see all your ubercool armor and the pretty graphixxx.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

cazsim83 wrote:Also, is anyone surprised that the 3rd person view is shit? Ask anyone who played oblivion how long you could remain in 3pv - as long as you didn't want to talk to anyone or fight anyone, it was awesome cause you could see all your ubercool armor and the pretty graphixxx.
lol you cry more newb cuz u cant rotate camera...haha...lol...newb...learn to xbxox.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

This is why you shouldn't read platform-specific publications. Ever.
WORLDonFIRE
Regular
Regular

Post by WORLDonFIRE »

hmmm,I have that issue.They have a picture of a female ghoul that looked like somebody :chaindeath: Her face.
Our Host!