Susan's Sunday night reviews : Max Payne

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Susan's Sunday night reviews : Max Payne

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I thought a few people 'round here anticipated the movie; I'm surprised nobody reviewed it yet.

Anyway, I went to see it tonight, and sadly it's pretty bad.

As a standalone movie, it's at best a badly directed flick with hints of inspiring ideas, and a boring ending.

But as a Max Payne adaptation, it's really a disappointment. They really overdid the Valkyrie thing; it was okay in the first few scenes where they scare off junkies, but at the end it looks like you're in the shitty movie with dragons and matthew mcconnaughtey.

And I thought the game was about gunfighting and being an impervious to bullets, coldblooded, disillusioned, badass cop? They turned this into a lenghty thriller. There are like 3 action scenes in the movie, and kind of short and uninspiring. It's sad because Mark Wahlberg does a good job, they got the art style right, everything is dark, snowy, gritty and slick.

John Moore screwed everything up, but it's not like it's surprising, coming from the director of Flight of the Phoenix?

Olga Kurylenko is ultra hot though, and I'm looking forward to Quantum of Solace because, in part, of her.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I was really disappointed that they completely did away with the Mafia plot.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I read some of the reviews on it and despite my best hopes of them just making the Valkyrie bits drug sequences they made it a supernatural thriller. I expect that Street Fighter movie coming out sometime soon to be a noir romance between Chun Li and Blanka.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

King of Creation wrote:I was really disappointed that they completely did away with the Mafia plot.
True. They completely changed the plot and the characters.

Vlad Lem is non-existant, Gognitti appears only as a self-depot place(?).
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

And the whole Nicole Horne thing was changed. Instead of her sending Valkyr junkies to kill the DA wife of Max, BB, a heavy set aging man, somehow manages to kill her and the baby and then escape through the second story window of the house with the agility of Spiderman.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I was looking pretty forward to this. Won't bother then. Thanks Susan :salute:

I already knew that vlad wasn't in there, because of the cast of characters thing. Which is pretty disappointing, since Vlad was a very well done character.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Hollywood never fails to fail.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

King of Creation wrote:And the whole Nicole Horne thing was changed. Instead of her sending Valkyr junkies to kill the DA wife of Max, BB, a heavy set aging man, somehow manages to kill her and the baby and then escape through the second story window of the house with the agility of Spiderman.
Ha, stop it D: The more I think about it, the less I like it. Basically, all the good stuff is in the trailer.

I totally disliked the way Mona Sax appears at the end, saves Max, then kills a negro, and then disappears without nobody seeing her, even though the whole place is being invaded by the tactical unit.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

I watched it and it was crap. I was throwing popcorn at emos, because it was too salty and because they were loud. I'm not surprised why they were loud... the movie was disappointing.
���������
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I was going to see it but it got even worse reviews than I expected so I didn't go. I'm sorry I couldn't have warned you susan.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I was going to see it but it got even worse reviews than I expected so I didn't go. I'm sorry I couldn't have warned you susan.
Bah it's okay. Someone has to sacrifices himself. For once, you're not the one. :salute:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I was thinking about maybe catching it at the cinema, but, eh, I guess not D:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yeah... depressing. I didn't see it, but... the simple idea that one of the best-written games to date was put into cinema and completely fucked over is more than enough to make it all worth skipping, curiosity-entwined as it may be.

The simple idea that there was never any whiny Jersey voice saying, "Jack Lupino wants ya DED!" is enough to bring a tear to my eye.
Shit happens.
Our Host!