Spøre

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Spøre

Post by Smiley »

This was actually fun, for about three hours until I had to design buildings and tanks, and play some dumbed down RTS.
After that the space-missions begin, and... it becomes like a grind for creatures, plants whatever, and you get nothing to show for it, other than a decked out spaceship.

Your uniquely designed creature becomes totally irrelevant around the village phase, and your armies (tanks/ships/airplanes) as well, when you enter the space-phase.

The whole "choice and consequence" is designed about way of life, rather than anything unique.

I think it goes something like this:
Cell: Herbivore / Omnivore / Carnivore
Creature: Social / Amenable(I think?) / Predator
Village: Friendly / Spur of the moment-esque.. whatever fits the moment / Aggressive
Civilization: Economical / Militant / Spiritual

I did a lot to stay friends with races, while I only wiped out those who attacked me first, and still I got the most aggressive path through all of those. After the village phase I thought "Fuck it" and went all out militant.

But other than that, there's no real consequence.. My people doesn't seem very powerhungry or militant now that I'm in space. The speech my people use isn't hard, ruthless and demanding, but cute and happy.

So in other words, it's like some of us predicted, lots of interesting elements, clashed together to become a chaotic mess without meaning, consequence or reward.

The game doesn't meet it's own standards at all, and the potential is utterly wasted.
Testicular Pugilist
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

:drunk:
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

havin fun with it atm, not bored yet
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Im in space too whiping out the Gnoxx. I thought it was a good idea untill I found out that they own every planet next to the center of the universe where you are suppose to get to.

I just blow up planets and whatnot and man after conquering some 60 of their planets.. it does get booring.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

i think this game would have been better off as a dedicated strategy game sorta like empire earth but more epic in scale. Discuss :eyebrow:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

i'm more excited about what someone else is going to do with the ideas. the game itself looks meh.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I thought the cellular stage was pretty fun, but then it went downhill. I barely made it to the civ section where it asked me to design my house, factory, car, toilet, etc. I quit after that. Just felt like The Sims with monsters and minigames.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It's retarded how the only difference between military and religion is the animations. If I get really bored I might download Spore later. But 99% of the impressions I'm seeing are all terrible.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

once again. Told you so.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's ok. I honestly think the worst part about it is the DRM. Gameplay is passable, not nearly as revolutionary as Will Wright hoped it'd be.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wolfman Walt wrote:It's ok. I honestly think the worst part about it is the DRM. Gameplay is passable, not nearly as revolutionary as Will Wright hyped it'd be.
fix0rz
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Have any of you bought it, or are we talking mainly downloads? The stock creatures / worlds don't really fit in well with my schemes. Also, it's certainly repetative as fuck in its' tasks, so in a sense I'm thinking it borrows that bit from Oblivion, where the shitty mmo-style objectives are supposed to push you out to try shit that's out of context with what you're supposed to be doing, thus increasing the funzies of the game. Never really went well with me, and it gets harder to do the further into the game you are, but it's a somewhat decent timewaster.
Last edited by St. Toxic on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I always had a problem understanding what spore is and I guess its because it looks like a whole bunch of different games smashed into one giant game but watered down. It never looked interesting either but maybe when they release a ton of expansions packs it will become good?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

edit; @toxic

I was honestly going to. I was hoping that this would be Maxis' big comeback.

But I got it from a friend who'd finished the download at my place, so I thought I might as well try it out.

2 things about it.

No DRM, which is a good reason NOT to buy any game.
And I found out the game didn't really have any replayability value...

I finished from cell to spaceship in one setting again yesterday, and again I ended up feeling cheated for the cell - village phase where you create your creature.

Meeting new ones doesn't have any surprises at all...
I would have imagined that a flight based race would have some vicious air-superiority, or one based on poisons and spikes would have some bio weapons..

Granted, that wouldn't be as kid friendly, but there's hardly any variation.
Last edited by Smiley on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Testicular Pugilist
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

St. Toxic wrote:Have any of you bought it
There was a discount of -21% at a local store if you'd preorder it... I did. I'm starting to regret it now, though.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

the hype got you
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk wrote:
St. Toxic wrote:Have any of you bought it
There was a discount of -21% at a local store if you'd preorder it... I did. I'm starting to regret it now, though.
You could just cancel it, y'know.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

The galactic conquest mode is like XXXX for people with ADD, and for those without, it forces it on you. What I been seeing, has issues.

Everything feels like it was stopped way short of the initial design specs, and then polished to a high gloss. Granted, I haven't seen too many bugs, but at the expense of a real game.

I think pooper's take is just about perfect.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

Wow i bought it too, and from all of this im regreting it. OMG fucking hype.
i too thought this was going to be maxis's comeback. fuck.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

I'm still curious to hear how auto-downloading content impacts on the game, or rather, "toy" as it were. The idea of altering the universe with subtle actions, while contributing to the multiverse at the same time, is still intriguing and is an idea worth supporting.
Our Host!