Are you going to buy Fallout 3?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

I will...

...buy the game.
16%
...buy the survivor edition.
13%
...download it illegally.
37%
...not get the game at all.
16%
...will buy the game once it's available for 20 bucks.
18%

Total votes: 38

the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

cazsim83 wrote:tl;dr hardly any of it.

lemme sum it up: Oblivion with Guns.

Did you like Oblivion? Would you like an Oblivion mod that let's you use guns, and makes everything look brown and ruined, instead of green and luscious?

Did you answer yes? Buy Fallout 3.

Did you answer no? Don't buy Fallout 3.

'nuff fuckin' said already.
there are spells and trolls in fallout 3?

and i thought i liked it already.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

the point for me is this: fallout 2 is one of the strongest arguments for games as literature. will fallout 3 continue that trend of deep storyline? no. there are other points but this is simply the biggest discontinuation.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Caleb wrote:the point for me is this: fallout 2 is one of the strongest arguments for games as literature. will fallout 3 continue that trend of deep storyline? no. there are other points but this is simply the biggest discontinuation.
i'm not going to say that FO3 does have that caliber of dialog.

but how can you possibly know it wont?
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Bethesda interviews.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Caleb wrote:Bethesda interviews.
link?

and what did they say our story will be crap?
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

how about scrolling the news archives? they confirmed quite a bit of consoletardation.
spacemoose
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by spacemoose »

I'm going to buy five boxes and burn them in front of the gamestop :gnasher:

really though, I'm not even going to torrent it
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Better idea - upload torrent w/ hidden virus that makes internet homepage meatspin or lemon party, etc.

yes/no?
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Caleb wrote:how about scrolling the news archives? they confirmed quite a bit of consoletardation.
i'm not going to look through every article looking for todd to say"ZOMG! STORY LINES ARE FOR DORKS. THE PLOT IS THE LIBERATION OF GENITAL CRABZ!!!"

if you don't have PROOF your point is moot
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:traits period is a dumbing down of table top RPG games. its there to make the game easier. (since you usually take traits the boosts your strengths, and the weaknesses are usually not even relevant for the character.
I wish Jinxed always made my games easier.

Heaven forbid that they actually put some work in and balance the things. Arcanum did this very well, as personally I was someone who always had a character who picked up a 2nd or 3rd skill style by the end of the game, depending on what I wanted to do. Fallout Tactics even did this reasonably well with mutant traits. There really isn't any reason why they couldn't sit down for 10 minutes and brainstorm about "this trait seems too awesome and not sacrifical enough... lets gimp it a little".

For a game series that had alot of freedom, they sure do like cutting down options.
i'm not going to say that FO3 does have that caliber of dialog.
but how can you possibly know it wont?
Bethsoft has never done decent dialog in a game. Ever. If you ask someone to make you a cheese sandwich and they piss all over it every time you do, what makes you think they'll actually make you a cheese sandwich the 5th time you asked for one? It's an application of logic that is in use (hopefully) every day. Conversely people expected good writing from BIS, because in the past they had proven they could. If they do pull it off, good on them. It only took them some 10-15 odd years to finally fucking do it.
Last edited by Stainless on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:
Caleb wrote:how about scrolling the news archives? they confirmed quite a bit of consoletardation.
i'm not going to look through every article looking for todd to say"ZOMG! STORY LINES ARE FOR DORKS. THE PLOT IS THE LIBERATION OF GENITAL CRABZ!!!"

do your research before boasting.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Caleb wrote:
the_BlackPipMan wrote:

do your research before boasting.
research the definition of boast before using it.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

You're fooling yourself if you think that the brains behind wikidialogue, the persuasion minigame, and the grey, inane shit that passes for dialog that Bethesda is known for is suddenly going to get better because the name Fallout is on the box.

Face it, the people who established everything that is Fallout, are, to a man, not at all involved with this game. You are however getting the entire team behind such LCD tripe as Oblivion.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Your cause for pride is to think that you have an argument. Sorry, but I can't see any misuse in my previous post.
Our Host!