Tom Chick blasts Wired

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Tom Chick blasts Wired

Post by cazsim83 »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p><a href="http://www.crispygamer.com/bios/about-t ... px">Crispy Gamer's Tom Chick</a> had quite a bit to say about <a href="http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/han ... l">Wired's latest preview of Fallout 3</a>. The post, taken from <a href="http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/">Quar ... blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><div><em>Man, that's really disappointing to read that stuff on Wired. I had my thirty minutes with the game today and it was over like *that*. I barely had time to meet a few characters, dig the combat against a couple of molerats and dogs, and do a little perking up, all the while tuned into a crackly broadcast playing some Billie Holiday. Based on these preliminary bits of awesomeness, I couldn't even begin to comment on the quality of the writing. Because pretty much all I've seen are a few dialog choices.

It's a mystery to me how Earnest Cav. can make pronouncements like he's made based on the thirty minutes of time we get at E3. That's a pretty sad smear job.

As for likable characters, heck, I really liked two of the people I met. The black guy in the cowboy hat who you saw in one of the early screenshots is the sheriff of Megaton, a town built around a crater with an unexploded nuclear bomb -- Fat Man style -- at the bottom. He was your standard-issue small frontier town sheriff, but plenty likeable, even when you're trying to sass him. I also liked Gob, the irradiated ghoul bartender, who's obviously supposed to be a sympathetic character.

Anyway, nice work, Wired. :( I guess they're hiring from NMA, or RPG Codex, or wherever these goofballs spawn from.

-Tom</em></div><div><em><div>Hey, he's been to the Codex!</div></em></div></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Where does the crater come from when the bomb didn't explode? :?
���������
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Uhh, maybe because Cavelli didn't do any combat? Thirty minutes is plenty of time to see if the dialogue is shit and the NPCs are cookie-cutter shells. If you avoid the combat, Tom.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

So the combat is too bad to let the press see it then?
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Well apparently 30 minutes is still enough to call it "game of the year" for some.
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Basically it's the same old, if you're not licking the nuts of a developer in a preview (Or even a reviewer) you're a heretic in the gaming journalism community and should be chastised properly. It just so happens that with Fallout, you get a community to lump such undesireables into to descredit their opinion than genuinely discrediting it.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

And DAC is not mentioned :(
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

NMA have infiltrated Wired magazine to launch a devastating smear campaign against Bethesda. Such is the hatred for Fallout 3. News at 11.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

DAC have infiltrated NMA who have infiltrated Wired magazine to launch a devastating smear campaign against Bethesda. Such is the hatred for Fallout 3. News at 11.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

entertainer wrote:Well apparently 30 minutes is still enough to call it "game of the year" for some.
Yes 30 minutes and $5000 moral loosener.

We are not mentioned because you can't write fuck in gaming mags.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

who the hell is tom chick anyway
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

nobody of any importance - this was just kind of like reporting that Rob Schneider made a new movie :eyebrow:
Our Host!