Polish PSX Extreme FO3 preview

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Polish PSX Extreme FO3 preview

Post by Ausir »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

The July issue of the Polish PSX Extreme magazine has a Fallout 3 preview, based on the same London demo as all other recent previews in Polish press. While the previewer (Bartosz "Zax" Dawidowski) is completely sold on Fallout 3 hype ("Fallout 3 will ensure an unprecedented level of immersion in a virtual world. And it will do it with such class that it can be rated pretty much only in comparison to itself"), he is also fairly competent about Fallout and Fallout 2.

Aside from the preview itself, there is also a frame about the Polish Bethesda concept artist, Adam Adamowicz, and a short interview with Pete Hines.

Some interesting bits:
* At 16 we select our perks [Note: he probably means traits, unless they were merged with perks] - e.g. Bloody Mess or Good Speaker. Pete didn't want to say what the rest of the perks will be.
* No word on whether children will be killable - when asked, Pete was evasive.
* No romances.
* The enemies are the most frightening in the history of RPGs and the game can be treated as a survival horror.
* We will often have problems with lack of clean water or food. The Geiger counter will sound pretty often. Hines says that when he plays the alpha at home, he is pretty much never fully healed - he's always either wounded or radiated.
* Eating food is not mandatory, but food increases your HP. However, you should look out for radiated food. Sometimes you will have wonder whether to eat radiated food, even with low HP, since the consequences of radiation are even worse.
* Radiation is a much bigger problem in FO3 than in previous games. It drastically decreases your combat abilities, and can even lower your skills permanently.
* Destructability of the environment will be unprecedented for RPGs.
* There will be around 50 different weapons.
* While we'll be able to find e.g. Power Armors early on, they will be in pretty bad condition (low CND bar) and will require extensive repairs or will get broken quickly.
* The role of Charisma is lower than in previous games, Fallout 3 relies on combat much more than FO1 and FO2. However, we'll be able to use stealth throughout most of the game.
* Many weapons can be constructed based on schematics.
* If you have your weapon on your shoulder, you can run and the NPCs are not aggressive. If you equip it, you can only walk.
* Jumping has no influence on the combat system, it's just for avoiding some obstacles.
* Enemies will not adjust their levels to that of the player. If you come to a certain place when your level is too low, you're expected to die.
* There is no gambling, you cannot participate in slaver raids nor guard caravans.
* No locations are randomly generated. However, depending on which way you'll head, some scripted events will appear there, e.g. you will encounter Dogmeat early on regardless or where you go.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I don't think I'll ever quit being annoyed by them playing up the survival/horror bullshit.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Unfortunately Bloody Mess has been changed to a perk in addition to a slight damage bonus. Glad charisma is a motherfucking DUMP STAT. Rejoice.
Last edited by Aonaran on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Re: Polish PSX Extreme FO3 preview

Post by VasikkA »

Ausir wrote:* No word on whether children will be killable - when asked, Pete was evasive
* There is no gambling, you cannot participate in slaver raids nor guard caravans.
Lower ESRB rating -> Higher profits -> Happier shareholders :jew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wacky though that you can't guard caravans? It's not like it's evil.

Also, what the hell?
:pete: wrote: Destructability of the environment will be unprecedented for RPGs.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

:pete: wrote:unprecedented for RPGs.
Totally not condescending.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Hrm, I seem to recall blasting shit all over a certain town in a certain game of a certain genre. Destroying that environment, so to say. Can't recall ever seeing such a scale of wanton destruction in any other game since. "Unprecedented" - the statement perks my nipples gratuitously.
Rub rub.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

but can I set Africans on fire or will I have to wait a week for Far Cry 2 to scratch that itch!? :dance:
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

I can light Africans on fire without that, but i might get in trouble.

Also : The only rpg element we will find in fallout 3 is an explosive one.
Our Host!