Gamer.no previews Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Gamer.no previews Fallout 3

Post by cazsim83 »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>A Norwegian gaming website, <a href="http://www.gamer.no/">Gamer.no</a>, has put up a very critical article regarding a recent preview they did of Fallout 3, which can be read <a href="http://www.gamer.no/artikler/fallout_3/ ... 0">here</a> if you understand Norwegian.</p><p>Here is a translation done by <strong>ericjones</strong> of <strong>NMA</strong>:</p><blockquote><p><em>It's hard to believe that the guy who showed us the game, Pete Hines, was from Bethesda's PR department. Firstly, he didn't seem particularly enthusiastic. Secondly, he had chosen to put emphasis on, in my opinion, irrelevant details.

Ok, it might be a bit funny that you as a newborn can cry at the touch of a button. It's also somewhat charming that you say "dadda" by pressing the same button when you reach three years of age, but what the hell does that have to do with good role-playing design? If this is the way the designers think, then we've come off on the wrong foot from the very beginning, and I can swear that the developer of Fallout 1 and 2, Interplay, will be turning in their grave (or "in their Linux partition", as the preview says).
(...)
At this point, the game is introducing us to dialogue. Like many other RPGs, Fallout 3 uses a dialogue-tree that lets you choose how to respond to other characters in the game. You can always choose between several alternatives, and it's usually fairly easy to see which alternative will evoke what response. If we are to believe Hines, the dialogue-trees are of no significance for the development of the character during the game. The different possibilities for dialogue are there solely to let the gamer play the way he wants and provoke reactions from other characters.
(...)
The graphic user interface also seems like it's been subject to prolonged radiocative exposure. When it comes to the design, there is a huge gap in the level of artistry between the beautiful, detailed areas and the way the game gives you information on-screen.
Ugly shades of green, boring menues and counters(? - I believe this means the HUD) were some of the most annoying aspects of the game. This is 2008. I expect that a game that is supposed to transmit a lot of information by text and counters, will do its best to make this part of the game look as good as possible. If you're making the player passive, it's necessary to make his time as interesting and functional as possible.
(...)
Who is this game for? That was the question that occured to me after Hines' presentation. It doesn't seem to be a game for those who traditionally have played Fallout. By that I mean hardcore PC-gamers. Fallout 3 is significantly "consolified". It's very well possible that this makes Bethesda able to reach a larger audience, but they should be careful not to marginilize (or overlook) those who loved the first two games.
(...)
Fallout 3 seems to be a nice RPG from the developer who gave us Oblivion, but I get the feeling that the game has very little in common with its predecessors except for the name. It seems to be an RPG that's typical for its time. Its getting closer to being a shooter, and it seems to want to help the player out a little too often.</em></p></blockquote><p>Seems the closer we get to the release date, the more gaming sites are becoming slightly critical of things they've seen in Fallout 3 - perhaps they're trying to make up for all the hype they spouted about Oblivion before it's release date. </p><p>Only time will tell whether Bethesda has listened to the critics, and taken the good advice to heart (and the development meetings).</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

I am physically incapable of imagining just how completely craptastic this game is going to be.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Norwegians do not fall for the hype. Respect. B)
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Norway '67 B)
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

That's a pretty terrible translation alright :google:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, it's a pretty terrible language, amirite?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

To paraphrase a science-related quote:

"Fallout 3 is not only more craptastic that we imagine, it is more craptastic than we can imagine."

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: Gamer.no previews Fallout 3

Post by MadBill »

cazsim83 wrote:Ok, it might be a bit funny that you as a newborn can cry at the touch of a button. It's also somewhat charming that you say "dadda" by pressing the same button when you reach three years of age
And once you are set out on the world, it is the same button that is used for interacting (read: shoot) with the world (read: orc-mutants). Choices are limited otherwise their fan-base might become confused.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Republican Space Rangers of the Post-Apocalyptic Fallouty-verse
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

OnTheBounce wrote:To paraphrase a science-related quote:

"Fallout 3 is not only more craptastic that we imagine, it is more craptastic than we can imagine."

OTB
OTB is back? :drunk: :hug: :drunk:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Of course - DaC is where all the cool kids hang out.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

OTB
Magnificent.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

OTB
sup OTB?
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

"I know not with what weapons Fallout 4 will be fought, but Fallout 3 will be fought with flaming swords and portable nuclear launchers."

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

:rofl:
���������
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Killzig wrote:sup OTB?
Nada, 'xcept me still whoring myself out to the enforcement arm of the capitalists. :D

Are you still fighting the good fight, or have you decided to hang up your mantle of punk and settle down?
Vassikka wrote:"I know not with what weapons Fallout 4 will be fought..."
:lol:

And they will be powered by Micro Mana Cells...

OTB
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

i'm in the bitter/acerbic too old to bother/too young to care stage. how many deployments? where to?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

:heh: That stage, eh?

I think it's funny that a card carrying member of American Athiests who has supported Nader in the last two elections and will continue to do so in this upcoming one is wearing the digital monkey suit...

I like to tell people that, "I'm so fuckin' punk I joined the Army."

This time around I've been deployed once, to Iraq for 15 months. I'm getting ready to spend Xmas in the Fertile Crescent, though. Last time I was in West Rashid (south-western Baghdad), who knows where I'll end up this time.

I did come up with a new law while I was down there, though. OTB's Law: If something can blow up, it will blow up...usually near me.

OTB
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

that's nice. My friend is currently serving his 3rd tour in Iraq (4th overall, 1 over in Opium-Land)...

Nader eh? You watch the documentary about him that was released recently? 'An Unreasonable Man' I think it was called, interesting stuff. None of that Citizen advocate stuff going on these days in DC. Probably because of assholes like me. :drunk:
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Army is for those who can't afford to be creative.
���������
Our Host!