Dumbest newbie mistake ?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Just barely managing to fend off a pack of exploding brahmin with only a few HP left, and then eating my 6th toe instead of using a stimpak.
Siegfried
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Siegfried »

Biggest noob mistake I've ever done? (Also my fondest memory)

Probably my first time playing the game in Necropolis.

I saunter up to the Super Mutant all fancy with my leather jacket and 10mm SMG and I think "Hmm, I can take this guy", I click my gun to burst and let loose a volley of lead :D but to my dismay the counter reads something like "Super Mutant receives 4 damage", my jaw drops as my party and I get taken down by the mutants.
Khan Noonien Singh
Regular
Regular

Post by Khan Noonien Singh »

Wasting any skill points on unarmed, throwing, first aid, doctor, gambling, or barter.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

j4yCE wrote:I knew! har har har! everyone makes a mistake! I was 13 years old when I first played the game, and had to start over at least 5 or 6 times before I got the hang of it :S
And you are 14 now, right?

Fuck dude.
Khan Noonien Singh wrote:Wasting any skill points on unarmed, throwing, first aid, doctor, gambling, or barter.
Unarmed breaks the game, dunno wtf yer talkin about.

My biggest mistake was saving over my last save right after pulling aggro from vault city by stealing from someone, but not realizing it until I loaded the next day and had to backtrack twelve thousand hours.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Pherdnut
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by Pherdnut »

Giving the SMG to Ian just 'cuz he said he could use one competently.
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

Tagging outdoorsman. How useful was that!
cdoublejj
Respected
Respected

Post by cdoublejj »

jimmypneumatic wrote:Playing with jet and feeding it to sulik, vic and cassidy on a regular basis.

Bwhahahahahahha thats funny.

My screw up was I didn't under stand that you could end combat after the temple of trials and trying to killing all of the villagers.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

sarge112 wrote:Tagging outdoorsman. How useful was that!
In FO2 it was very useful. You could use it to avoid encounters, especially with ...

Enclave.

If in bad hp/ammo state avoiding Morton Bros could also be helpful.

I don't know if it helps avoid bad luck encounters like Toxic Waste Dump.

It wasn't noob mistake that I found out about that one, I chose a Jinxed 1 Luck character.

My first in FO2.

Was fun.

Shoulda picked melee instead of unarmed. (Sharpened Spear + Heavy Handed trait gives good power very early on.)

S 6 P? E6 C2 I 7+ A10 L1 Heavy Handed, Jinxed. Tags: Unarmed, Outdoorsman, Speech.

Also kind of a waste I picked Jinxed since 1 Luck gets you Pariah Dog eventually. It gives you Jinxed for free.

I remember I wasted my first perk on the free level perk.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Yeah, outdoorsman was useless in F1, and what the hell is with having to search for water when I have like ten canteens?
does this work
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

Wow we are acutally talking about fallout :holyshit:
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Amazing isn't it...:salute:

EDIT: we need an icon for this :holyshit:
nobuo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by nobuo »

My first time through FO1, I took the quest from the BoS to head to the Glow. I didn't pack any radiation stuff, except a Geiger Counter. Saved a lot once I got there, even over my backup save. Went through all the different floors, had all sorts of rockin' gear. I saw the radiated message, but because I didn't die quickly, I didn't think there was any problem. Heck, I probably played chess a couple of times with Zax. Went to head back to the BoS, took two steps on the world map and died. Had to start over from zero. I put the game down for a week before I came back.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

nobuo wrote:My first time through FO1, I took the quest from the BoS to head to the Glow. I didn't pack any radiation stuff, except a Geiger Counter. Saved a lot once I got there, even over my backup save. Went through all the different floors, had all sorts of rockin' gear. I saw the radiated message, but because I didn't die quickly, I didn't think there was any problem. Heck, I probably played chess a couple of times with Zax. Went to head back to the BoS, took two steps on the world map and died. Had to start over from zero. I put the game down for a week before I came back.
Same here actually. I was really pissed off. Although I had a save from BEFORE I went to the Glow, but it was still a bit of a pain. After that I killed a million billion intergalactic jews with my pee.
Echoes
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Echoes »

playing FO1 for 1st time i didn't realised till about middle of a game (well..main quest :P ) that for reloading i don't have to enter inventory (also i didn't know that there exist burst mode etc ;] )
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Running up on a guy with a minigun trying to melee him, after my ammo went dry and I got frustrated... got dropped feeling like swiss cheese
Patrick
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Patrick »

Hmmm,

Killing everyone in my tribe

Planting explosives on the First Citizen

Forgetting to drop the explosives next to the door in the temple of trials and exploding :3

Helping the Overseer instead of joining the mutants D;
Speed_demon
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Speed_demon »

Strangely enough, aside from:

=constantly forgetting to put my weapons away in junktown (agro'd the gaurds so many times)
=Giving Ian the SMG
=Trying to keep dogmeat alive (it added 1000 reloads to the game)
=Not following the "script" of the game and attacking anyone not doing what I wanted
=killed the skulls cause I couldn't figure out how to get evidence on them
=attacked mutants and centaurs with pistols and an SMG and got my ass kicked
=stealing shotty shells from the cops in the hub and having to reload on a slow PC every time I got caught (low steal skill, high greed :P )

FO2 went off without a hitch, aside from not finding Sierra until after I had BOS armor and killing cassidy with superstims lol
Adventuring in the wasteland on a daily basis
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Attacking hubologists at level 8 with inadequate equipment, i mean come on how dangerous can a bunch of guys in dresses be?

Trying to kill the bridge keeper barehanded, i mean COME ON! how dangerous can someone in a dress be?

Taking WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much jet, psycho, and buffout all at once and then finding out it makes you bleed out of your face.

Finding out that arm wrestling a mutant when you have 3 strength gives you a free blowup doll. COOL, FREE STUFF! come on dude i was like 7 how the fuck could i figure that one out.

Testing plasma grenades with 50 throwing skill.

Fire gecko's barehanded, come on, how dangerous can purple geckos be?

Taking jinxed and then assuming my brand new $30 000 gauss rifle would last more than about 2 shots.

Leveling up to level 67 in fallout 2 with no cheats/ hax etc cause i was expecting the boss to be really hectic. I swear i shot him like 3 times with a bozaar and he fucking exploded. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get to level 67. I killed round about a million aliens, floaters and centaurs. Deathclaws are the best cause you can get like 7000xp off one fight if you are lucky, but they can still kick your ass when you are level 60 so be careful.
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

Well if you tell Sulik to "charge" with an SMG it works pretty good usually. I never use burst anyway for select fire small guns, or up close ONLY. I prefer well aimed shots to the head, eyes, and groin. Even if it is just single shots with the assault rifle, if you have Small Guns high and Action Boy x2 then you can do a lot of damage with very little ammo.

By the way, does Action Boy require an Agility of 8? Sorry I don't have the manual and don't feel like looking it up.
Our Host!