Emil's Interviews

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Emil's Interviews

Post by cazsim83 »

<strong>[ Person -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Emil Pagliarulo">Person: Emil Pagliarulo</a>

<p>Emil weighs in on various gaming topics in a podcast which can be heard <a href="http://www.gametheoryshow.com/index.php ... 6634">here at GameTheoryShow.com</a> - or you can read a 2-page briefing over at <a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... ><p>Here's an excerpt from <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/05/0 ... tion/">the bethblog</a> -</p><blockquote><p><strong><em>Next-Gen: Because it&rsquo;s different for every game designer, give us your idea of what storytelling is in games.
</em></strong></p></blockquote><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em><strong>Pagliarulo: </strong>I think it changes all the time. I think even with the release of GTA IV it has even changed again. Who knew that GTA IV would progress narrative in videogames. I don&rsquo;t think anyone saw that coming. But for me story in videogames is about writing for the medium. It&rsquo;s getting people who understand videogames and how to craft a story for videogames, so that you have a mix of a solid narrative that the player can understand and be involved with, while using the medium of a videogame to let the player craft his own narrative. I think there&rsquo;s a mix of both, and you need to have people who understand the medium in order to do that, or to give the player what they want in that regard.</em></p></blockquote><p>I recommend the podcast, as it gives a much better feel for what Emil is trying to convey, and has a lot more information than what you read over @ Next-Gen.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://bethblog.com/">Bethesda Blog</a></p>
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

It's cute that they think they're making a Fallout game.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I'm actually re-listening to the podcast now on Jukebox (please someone recommend something else - I'm starting to hate it - I just use it because it's easy to burn CD's on...) and I heard a couple of things that really pissed me off. Allow me to quote some of it - maybe someone can tell me if I am just hearing it wrong.

-----Emil was asked, "...is there any truth to some people's opinion (...hardcore fans...) that with games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, that are targeted to a very large console audience, that it has been ...'dumbed down', or maybe more positively, more accessible, is there any truth to that, have you made concessions for the mass market.

-----"You know, it's funny - I look at Fallout and when I play it everyday, I sometimes think 'You know, there's a lot of old-school, hardcore PC stuff in there too,' and part of me thinks 'God is this too inaccessible for console players, there's a lot of dialogue to read, just hacking computers and looking through things like that,' and I don't know sometimes I think it's the opposite so I don't feel like that, no, y'know, no, I dont."

(Shortly after, the interviewer gives a mention to NMA)

---I think there's a discussion over @ NMA about this right now but I'm pretty wiped and ready to go to bed, so my brain is fuzzy. Anyhow, it makes me sad -#1 that it seems Emil is worrying about the intelligence level of console gamers (twitch gamers - I hang my head in shame at thee) and #2 - disappointing to think someone out there is going "Y'know, this game makes you work for stuff too much, let's make it easier and faster and y'know, bag that dialogue, cause man, that's just a lot to read. Let's try something else like "The train's at home on the raaails....", but y'know, Fallout-y.

I may be rambling, because it's late, or because that's par for the course, but it still ticks me off a bit.

quick edit - yeah, there is a post about it right now.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

just hacking computers and looking through things like that,' and I don't know sometimes I think it's the opposite so I don't feel like that, no, y'know, no, I dont."
Am I sleep deprived or is this gibberish?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

CloudNineGT wrote:
just hacking computers and looking through things like that,' and I don't know sometimes I think it's the opposite so I don't feel like that, no, y'know, no, I dont."
Am I sleep deprived or is this gibberish?
It's how Bethesda justifies wiki dialogue in Fallout 3; Fallout dialogue is too inaccessible for console players.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:It's cute that they think they're making a Fallout game.
I don't think anyone could have put it any better.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

What a dick-head.. YOU are DUMBING the GAME DOWN you JACKASS! You are making a less difficult game so that it appeals to an audience that might not be Role-playing fans! That is dumbing down! You think a game designer would have the sense to understand that concept.

Sure, Fallout is difficult if you're not paying attention, but that's what the fans like about the game! You have to get the details!

Everything about your game is smaller than the original! Smaller world, less dialogue... you have failed in a big way sir! But it's perhaps not your fault.. it's probably just that dick in your ass.

and how did GTA progress narrative?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Dogmeatlives wrote:and how did GTA progress narrative?
presumably he's talking about how in GTA4 the missions you get are less 'discrete missions' that you go on by going to a specific place or guy or whatever, and are instead more integrated into the rest of the gameplay. anyone who's played a crpg proper will know that's not new, though it is an important development for that type of game, surely.

nice doublethink on emil's part. can we become a gta iv fansite already?
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

i know i might get shot for saying this...

but...

in my opinion the only conceivable way they could come close to making a decent fallout game, with first person...would be akin to bloodlines. playing thru it again, and i must say...if they revamped the system and such...well...it wouldn't be HORRIBLe at least...but they'll fail anyhow.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Well there's a difference between a good game, and a good followup to Fallout.

I think Fallout 3 will be an alright game.
It wont seem like a GoTY candidate like, say, Bioshock but still entertaining and probably worth the money.

As for a good follow up though...

Veteran gamers who grew up with oldschool games have a very keen nostalgic feeling about how a game has to improve or at least match up to their predecessors/previous games of same genre/type.
Or even how much they have to improve, because if you've been playing games for 20 some years, like some of us have, you've kinda tried it all and you get harder to impress.

Classics are classics, they will always be like that and the chance of a good followup a decade later is slim at best.
Especially when you're taking a product that has a specific fangroup, and try to stretch it to please everyone.. You end up pissing off fans, and confusing the shit out of new players.

Also the market of game developing has changed from "Hey wouldn't it be cool to make a game based on this idea?" to "How can we squeeze this brand as much as possible, and deliver it to as big as audience as possible?"
(Although I personally believe that Bethsoft isn't all that bad in this regard)

Add the fact that the whole thing is taken over by someone else with other visions and ideas...

Facing these things, they're pretty much asking for a kick in the face.
Personally, I would've gotten as much as the old design/idea crew back as possible, and stick very strictly to the canon. It might seem very shut off to new players, but it will give them the incentive to read up on the old games and canon and suddely they'll realise what a big world it is.

THAT'S what a new classic will be born out of.
Our Host!