Alien invasion in my house

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Alien invasion in my house

Post by Mad Max RW »

I haven't seen anything like this in a long time, but I killed 2 crawling around my weed and bathroom in the last week:

These fuckers are the size of a fucking hand when their legs are stretched out and it gives me a bad case of the creeps. I know bugs. I've killed just about everything, but for the past year since I first spotted one under my washer it's had me stumped. Until today. They're called House Centipedes and are actually good to have in your house. They eat other nasty bugs and keep the place clean. Unfortunately, I get chills up and down my spine just thinking about them so they have to die.

That was the problem identifying the ugly bastards. Every time I stomped one there was nothing left but a leg or two. And they move so fast you can never get a good look.

What's the best way to kill them? Get any duel ant/cockroach spray and soak the corners of walls around your bathrooms, laundry rooms, under radiators, and the basement. Turn the lights off, wait a few hours, and you'll find at least one curled up in a death pose that would make Shakespeare proud.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

At least you don't die when you get bitten. I on the other hand, found this sitting on my water bottle a few days ago. Looks like someone tried to assassinate me. :P

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factSheets/redback.htm

Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

curses, foiled again...
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Wikikikipedia wrote:House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants and other household arthropods. They kill their prey by injecting venom through their fangs.
Sounds like a powerful ally to me. B)

If household bugs is what they eat then maybe you should get rid of the other bugs?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Doubtlessly they would make fine pets and bodyguards. Quite very in their inconspicuousness. :drunk:
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Jesus fuck! Where the hell do you mongrels live? :?
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Dude be glad most of you don't live in Australia, they have every fucking nasty ass insect and arachnid in the universe. Like wandering spiders actually attack your ass.

We get these motherfucking massive preying manti here, like 15-20cm long luckily only out in the veld, not dnageroud or anything but if you piss them off they fucking whack you with their talon thingies (cant remember the name of an insect's forearm).

Then we get red romans, harmless, but OMF I am shit scared of them.
http://seds.org/~spider/Spider/Spider/arachnid.html

fucking HATE them.

we also get button spiders (like everywhere) and a few violin spiders that cause gangrene when they bite you.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm in Connecticut! You'd think a creature as ugly as that was only found deep in South American jungles or some shit.

About killing the other bugs in my house, good point, except I keep everything immaculate. This time of the year a few wasps always work their way through windows and maybe a spider or two but nothing else.
I'd consider myself lucky. When I was a kid, one of the houses I lived in further north was infested every year by millions of ladybugs. They looked like the typical ladybug but these assholes bit! It was horrible how they were drawn to the corners of ceilings and made writhing masses of disgusting like miniature Zerg hives.

Oh yeah we get praying mantis, too. Here in the city they make nests full of small green ones. The further north you go they get to the size rabidpeanut describes.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

ZERGRUSH!!1

I will post pictures of creatures I commonly find within and around my dwellings:

cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

lol @ the last one - cute.

god bless desert climates where you only have to worry about scorpions and heatstroke
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

We have absolutely zip creepies here, and I'm ever so thankfull for it.

Found a scorpion in the bathtub though when I was in Croatia a long time ago.
On the 16th floor. I smell a conspiracy.
Testicular Pugilist
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I hate all insects and I often get scared when I see a spider, for a long time I couldn't kill them and had to get my mom or dad. We usually have our outside of the house sprayed once maybe twice a year which helps keep the bugs away and shit, but you will often find that once you get rid of one kind of insect another one pops up because of the lack of the one you just killed. For instance if you kill the ants then spiders will show up.

You guys should get your outside of your house sprayed, If i was living in Australia I would have like a chemical moat fill with RAID.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The creature which is pictured in Mad Max's first post is the the basement centipede. It's such a vile and sneaky thing. I basically live with a nest of them. They use the shadows ingeniusly. I see about four or five a week. I don't kill them anymore, it's a waste of time.

I'm turning that into a haiku

BASEMENT CENTIPEDE

the basement centipede
such a vile and sneaky thing
I basically live with a nest of them
They use the shadows ingeniusly
I see about four or five a week
I don't kill them anymore
it's a waste of time.
Last edited by Dogmeatlives on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Hey Max, I found one of those things in my shoe about a week ago. Needless to say I pulled my old hockey stick out and smashed that little bastard and threw my sneakers into the washing machine.

But you're not alone, I've never seen them before until now as well.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

send them to Africa as food
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

i'm in the same boat as pooper, i'm scared shitless of all kinds of insects, especially anything bigger than your finger nail that bites or stings or what the fuck ever. i especially hate spiders, if i lived where dreaddy does they wouldn't even have to bite me because i would probably die of fear. spiders that kill? that is some seriously scary shit
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

fuck pooper, i would be more scared of that dude in your avatar than any creepy crawly you run into.

We apparently get scorpions were i live but i have never seen one myself.

We get a fuck load of cobras though. Ringhals :

dogs come home blind and shit, luckily we dont get any of that aussie shit over here, i would fucking move, they get 9/10 of the world most poisonous snakes there, the other one lives here, Black mamba : aggressive motherfuckers.

>>>Some guy got one in the sleeping bag he was in and they managed to get a bunch of antivenoms to him(he had not moved cause he knew there was a snake in with him). 2 people grabbed him by the shoulders and 2 grabbed the bag, and in the second they had to pull him away from the snake he had been bitten 11 times.<<<

>>><<< indicates a rumor don't know if it is true but you know how these things start.

Those things are fucking scary as shit. They rarely attack people though, you have to be pretty fuck stupid or unlucky to end up near one.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Bugs usually only annoy me rather than provoke feelings of intense fear. For the most part I don't mind them.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not about to go buy one a beer and chill or anything, and I don't approve of them crawling all over me.

Luckily we don't have too many crazy bugs around where I live, we have a few black widows and the occasional recluse, but what we do have all over the place is these guys:

Called Hobo spiders and while they don't really kill people, they can cause flesh to die around the bite in some people, causing nasty scars.

We also have plenty of ticks, and some giant pine beetles that I believe are called Sawyer Beetles and are perhaps the clumsiest flyers I've ever seen, I remember getting a welt when one flew into me as I rode my bike when I was a kid.

Oh and stink bugs that smell like rotten apples and bananas, they're everywhere during the fall.
Our Host!