The Firearms Thread

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

ahh, i see. when you fire the gun you fall down, there for escaping the return fire... inventive.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Here's the dealio... I wanna get a gun. I've never fired one before. I wanna spend maybe 400 bucks. What do you fuckers suggest? I want to become handy with it in the event of apocalypse. Played too much Fallout I guess. So, what do you guys think? Nothing too flashy but I want stopping power. I have seen people get shot with tiny pistols.

I was also wondering whether size of the shooter has anything to do with it. I am not a big guy, my arms are relatively stringy despite the manual labor I perform so I don't want to be blown through a wall firing the gun.
I also live in new jersey and have heard that I don't have to register a shotgun but I do with a handgun. I would like not to be registered as owning a gun with any government agency:paranoia:.

So them's the facts, help me get started on my long road to eventually shooting off a finger. :flamed:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Speed_demon
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Speed_demon »

Drunk_Squid wrote:
cazsim83 wrote:oh god, who let DS out of the cellar!?!?!@? :aiee:
Don't worry, I will post in a civilized manner as long as I am "out of the cellar". The point is, the nature of my posts were due to the fact that I was asshated to begin with, I wasn't asshated for acting like I was in there, duh.

Just found this randomly. I am wondering if this kid is serious or not:

I want to see the video of him simultaneously breaking his arm, smashing his eye, and falling over and cracking his head :joy:

NOTE: Medusa revolver FTW

EDIT: Dogmeatlives, find out the REAL local laws from a court house or something, and if it's a go, I'd say get yourself a 12 gauge shotty. Remington 870 is one I hear of often, no personal experience though.

If you can, go shooting at a range, get a feel for how the bugger shoots before you buy, I would suggest looking into 20 gauge and .410 since you mentioned you are not a huge guy. See the difference in the shooting recoil and control, and weight it against the absolute damage the fucker can do. Also, talk to the old shooter guys, they usually know whats best.

Happy shopping :dance:
Adventuring in the wasteland on a daily basis
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Here's the dealio... I wanna get a gun.
I'd say for an inexperienced shooter, go for .12 gauge shotguns. Ammo is everywhere, doesn't take much to aim and hit something and it's actually quite a capable tool in many situations. Home defence, sure. Duck hunt, of course. Zombie attack / post-apocalypse wasteland, definitely. Most have a 6 rnd magazine if you buy them from USA, 4-round-limit in most of Europe, I think. Shorter (18" or less) barrels make them easy to carry around, faster to take a snapshot, move around corners etc.

Or then you could just buy a chinese assault rifle (ak-74 equivelant) for 700 $ and learn to shoot at a 150 m firing range. Lever- and bolt-action rifles in .22 LR are good for learning to shoot as well. Handguns are almost always rather expensive and they're more difficult to handle, unlike many people seem to think. Then there's the whole law-thingy and the difficulties of getting one. I personally still value one slow shot that hits from a range more than 14 shots that all miss. Personal favorites, I guess.

Brand new shotguns:

Mossberg 500 J.I.C. -> http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /51340.jpg
~ 400 $

Remington 870 Express -> http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... xpress.asp
~ 370 $

Mossberg 500 pump-action all purpose -> http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /50120.jpg
~ 340 $

Winchester Speed Pump Defender -> http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 12252l.jpg
~ 300 $
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

For learning to shoot (and inexpensively) you can't go wrong with a .22lr either rifle or handgun. Ruger makes 2 fine examples of both, but they are a little bit more pricey than some of their competition. The Ruger 10/22 is an all around American favorite. Many people have learned to shoot with this rifle. I got mine brand new in the box a couple of months ago for about $230 then got some ammo and an extra mag bringing my total up to $250. Also there are so many aftermarket parts (stocks, triggers, springs, barrels, sights, scopes hell you name it) made for this rifle that you can customize it to just about any task. Plus .22lr ammo is VERY inexpensive (a brick of 500 rounds for about $20).

Although for learning, you may want to find a bolt action that makes you break your cheek to stock weld every time you shoot. It will help you with those faster shots and with target acquisition.

A 12 gauge shotty is always a good investment plus the ammo is cheaper than the other bore sizes. They kick a lot more than a .22 but they kick everyone regardless of size.

If you find that you prefer the rifle, once you get confident then get a Mosin Nagant rifle. You can find them just about anywhere for around $100 bucks and you can still buy surplus ammo for them for cheap(er) shooting. Just make sure you inspect the bore, chamber and stock for any serious corrosion and you should be fine.

For handguns, start shooting with a Ruger MK 2 or 3. They're .22lr and so you can learn the basic fundamentals real cheap. After that I'd suggest a Makarov pistol. You can find them for around $250 and buy a .380 conversion kit for them making them affordable, plus the one I shot was accurate as hell (for a handgun).

In the end go with what feels comfortable to you and when starting out your collection go with function over form. A lot of guns look really cool but don't shoot well. (Desert Eagle) Of course that's just my opinion and I'm sure you'll get lots more advice.

Also, don't go to Duck and Cover to find out about shooting. Go to some of the dedicated shooting forums out there and you'll find more advice then you know what to do with. Great questions though, and I hope I helped you Dogmeat
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I can only imagine the difficulty of handling a pistol. While it would be helpful in situations, it just seems less practical than a shotty. Especially in an emergency situation when sure aim may be hard to muster.

The Winchester pump defender seemes like the way to go. I appreciate the advice.

and just for shits and giggles, you think a thompson(tommygun) would be legal to own in Jersey?
Nevermind, it is legal. It's just illegal to own the drum magazines in Jersey. That takes all the fun out of it.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Hands down without a doubt...

AK-47 for the apocalypse. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE

I picked up a Romanian WASR-10 for $425...bayonet, 4-mag carrying pouch, sling, and 2 mags

Shotty-wise as previously stated some of the mossberg's i'd find well priced on sale at around $315 for a home defense model, includes heat shield and bigger clip.

pistolwise... it might sound weird but i've fired a few glocks, s&w's, H&K, and I would personally have to say though it goes against logic with a larger .45 round, the 1911 kicks the least and is by far the most accurate, along with intense stopping power. They aren't terribly cheap but as far as handguns go, you can't go wrong w/ a 1911.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

get a mossberg 500 12guage, dosent kick to hard with the 2 3/4 shells, and is capable of the 3in mags, and there is a FUCK LOAD of accessories
for it, even a 10 round snail clip and tactical rails and pistol grips and
fold out but stocks with pistol grips, pistol grip pump handles ...ext ext ext..
stock, its around $250, but that fucker is tough as hell, mine is still
shooting fine after 2,000 + rounds through it and not a problem , i have a scope on mine and a slug barrel and a 10 round snail clip and a fold
out buttstock with a pistol grip on it to.

if you want a rifle, get an sks, good gun, lots of options, and its in your price range.

if you want a good hand Gun with stoping power and wont knock your ass down go with a ruger 9mm or 40 cal , i hear ruger is getting better with quality... and there in your price range... hell order a ruger catalog, there free , look around .

Taurus makes some FINE weapons, id back them any day, order a catalog from them to, its free check there website, you wont even have to call them, there is an online order form.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Speed_demon
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Speed_demon »

50 million Ak-47s worldwide :crazy:
Adventuring in the wasteland on a daily basis
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

yea but with an AK the only way you can hit the broad side of a barn is from the inside!.

Mosin nagant and SKS and mossgberg 500 12G shorty ftw
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

True -- if your rifle's old, used and has a bent barrel. Kalashnikov family rifles are rather accurate in my opinion.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

Goretheglowingone wrote:yea but with an AK the only way you can hit the broad side of a barn is from the inside!
Think before you post, seriously. You may learn to decide to not post at all as a consequence of that. I am looking forward to this. :paper:
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

My AK was more accurate than my M-16A2 when I was in the Army. True the zero tends to float a little bit, but I put some teflon tape on the threads of my front sight post and fixed that little problem right away. The AK-74 actually out performs the AR series of rifles. Plus they don't jam. Better weapon in my book.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Another fun plinkster, Henry lever-action:
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001l_levercarbine.cfm
priced ~ 300+ $
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Moisin Nagant FTW, nothing in this world as accurate, or intimidating.

7.62x54r.net
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

im also fond of the marlin 45/70 lever action,
good rabbit hunting rifle.... it guts em, skins em and de bones em all at the same time...
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Goretheglowingone wrote:im also fond of the marlin 45/70 lever action,
good rabbit hunting rifle.... it guts em, skins em and de bones em all at the same time...
Does it cook em with some onions and coriander as well?
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Goretheglowingone wrote:Moisin Nagant FTW, nothing in this world as accurate, or intimidating.

7.62x54r.net
... except maybe the SVD?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

.. or NSV? Fun to fire, at least.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

I have to buy "permission" to have a gun.
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Our Host!