Trigger/feature wish list part 2

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Trigger/feature wish list part 2

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, I for one would like a Remove Objective and/or Change Objective action. This would make it easy and not-too-ugly to make a twist in the map's storyline, since once an objective is added, the only way for it to change is using the Complete Objective action, and in most cases, that won't do.

Such as if the PCs are tasked with assassinating some NPC. If the PCs get to the NPC and find that he/she is already dead, the objective should change to "Find the person who killed the NPC before you got there"

Currently, if one wants to do that, one has to "complete" the first objective so the player knows that they no longer have to worry about the NPC. But since the player didn't really kill the NPC themselves, it would be a tad confusing if the objective was "completed."

A feature I would like is to be able to have more than one tiles folder open and accessible at the same time (like they have in the StarCraft editor). It's a pain in the backside to keep changing folders back n' forth n' such.

Oh, and having the tile and sprite editors would be handy :twisted:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Trigger/feature wish list part 2

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:A feature I would like is to be able to have more than one tiles folder open and accessible at the same time (like they have in the StarCraft editor). It's a pain in the backside to keep changing folders back n' forth n' such.
Why not just use Tile Sets? The feature is bugged in the editor and you'll need to dl an utility - or is it a batch file? - to place quotes in the proper places or do it manually (the utility won't work if you're using Win ME, though).

Your idea for remove/modify objective is "nifty". I'd say the best way to do it w/the extant tools would be to have the objective completed and to augment that w/either forced speech from an NPC on the map, or to use World Text, perhaps using the title "Narrator" if you're going for the more RPG-oriented approach rather than the military-organization-on-series-of-missions approach.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:the utility won't work if you're using Win ME, though).
Well, guess what? :P
OnTheBounce wrote:perhaps using the title "Narrator"
Perhaps... but still, I'd much rather have a Change/Remove Objective action :)
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Hey, I'm "Respected" now! It's about damn time! :lol:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

i like MV's idea for changing objectives. it helps to add plot twists.

i forgot if this was brought up before, but can karma be used as a trigger in the game, other than changing the ending?
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote: Well, guess what?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that you're running Win ME... (If I'm wrong, do I get more guesses? :wink: )
Max-Violence wrote: Hey, I'm "Respected" now! It's about damn time!
Don't pay attention to forum titles. They lie... :mrgreen:
War Bringer wrote:...[C]an karma be used as a trigger in the game, other than changing the ending?
Yep, sure can. This is one of the easier Trait/Stat qualifiers to use, too. Since only the Main Character is awarded Reputation when the "Gain Repuration" trigger is used you don't have to worry about making very small zones that only a single character will fit into. You can simply use the "Quantity Player" trigger and the zone can be set to "Anywhere".

You can use this type of trigger for all kinds of things. For instance, you could have someone like Paladin Lancelot standing around and instead of just giving him a single click speech node, you could write up several that reflect the character's Reputation. If the Rep was high (at least for that point in the game), you could have lines like, "I've heard only good things about you." If the Rep were low you could have lines like, "Fuck you, I don't talk to scumbags like *you*..."

You could also use this to have certain quests available only to characters w/good, bad, or indifferent Rep. I'm not going to say that "the only limitation is your imagination," I will say that there is a lot that can be done, especially if you're the type that likes to fiddle with rules.

Cheers,

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote: I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that you're running Win ME...
Yep! You get a cookie! 8)
OnTheBounce wrote:
Don't pay attention to forum titles. They lie... :mrgreen:
Oh? ... ... ...... ............ ... :cry:

I forgot all about checking/changing reputation! I could've done some cool stuff in Jailbreak! ARG!

Oh well, that's what Rebellion is for :)
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote: Yep! You get a cookie! 8)
All right!

Um...are we talking baked goods or TXT files here? :?

BTW, I'm in the same boat. I was pissed when I saw the Win ME wasn't included in the list of platforms that supported the batch. Then again, I never wanted Win ME in the first place, having been satisfied w/Win 98 SE. TYVM, MS for having crammed all of this down our throats... :roll:
Max-Violence wrote: I forgot all about checking/changing reputation!
This is one of my favorite things to do. Rather than having a few things that affect your Rep in big ways I've gone for having lots of little things affect your Rep in little ways.

OTB
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

OnTheBounce wrote:This is one of my favorite things to do. Rather than having a few things that affect your Rep in big ways I've gone for having lots of little things affect your Rep in little ways.

OTB
Wow. That just opens up a load of ideas, like not being able to finish a town/mission without completing a load of "good deeds" to earn karma.

here's another question (it might be an obvious one, but it's easier asking since I'm already here)

Can the "goto" trigger thing do its ... well, thing ... after a condition is met? What I'm wondering about is the possibility to create little quests that you goto. In the original series, you'd automatically goto a quest just after talking to someone.
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

War Bringer wrote: Can the "goto" trigger thing do its ... well, thing ... after a condition is met? What I'm wondering about is the possibility to create little quests that you goto. In the original series, you'd automatically goto a quest just after talking to someone.
Yes, absolutely. However, you'd have to have the player transported back to the World Map after finishing the sub-quest, rather than using another "GoTo Mission" trigger. Unless you do it this way, you'll end up having the game reload the "town" that the player received the sub-quest in from the original mission file.

OTB
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

Post by Chaos »

Max-Violence wrote:Well, I for one would like a Remove Objective and/or Change Objective action. This would make it easy and not-too-ugly to make a twist in the map's storyline, since once an objective is added, the only way for it to change is using the Complete Objective action, and in most cases, that won't do.

Such as if the PCs are tasked with assassinating some NPC. If the PCs get to the NPC and find that he/she is already dead, the objective should change to "Find the person who killed the NPC before you got there"

Currently, if one wants to do that, one has to "complete" the first objective so the player knows that they no longer have to worry about the NPC. But since the player didn't really kill the NPC themselves, it would be a tad confusing if the objective was "completed."

Well i have an idea have it so that a trigger will go off at a certain amount of time into the mission and the trigger will make the person you have to find kill the person your supposed to assasinate and use the add objective when this happens and set the other objective to complete when you find the body.
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

How about a trigger condition something like this:

If explosion happens in zone

This would be great for simulating an exploding entity when a grenade or rocket or even a trap explodes in a discrete zone. Then you could have an action which would switch a wall entity with a broken wall entity for example which would allow access into a previously inaccessable area.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

There would be some problems with this idea I'm going to suggest, but could you do this wall behave like an actor with so low HP that each one of this weapons/explosives would kill it and you need to provide only an "everyone dead in zone" trigger?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, that may work. I'll have to look into it to see how it could be implemented and what problems may appear.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

:idea:

I'd also like a way to specify how many of an item to give when using the 'Give item from NPC to Human' and 'Give item from Human to NPC' actions without having to have an action for every single item (handy for money, ammo, etc.).

Oh, and OTB: I was talkin' 'bout baked goods :)
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

How about this one for a trigger action:

If Unit XXX is next to Unit YYY

I can't tell you how crappy it is to have to have an NPC stay stationary so that you can interact with him in a specific zone. This could be great for where you have to hunt down a wandering NPC to give him something or talk to him.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Yes indeed.

Click speech would work for that, but not nearly as well as 'Unit X is Y yards/meters/whatever from Unit Z' would be.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I'd also like a "Copy Player Index" function in the PI Editor (the thing that pops up when you click Player...).

The ability to copy a PI from one number to another would be so very handy when making patrol routes.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

The ability to zoom out (and back in, of course) would be so damn useful in determining how one's map looks (and what the minimap render'll look like), it's almost funny. If someone could figure out how to run the editor in a higher resolution than 1024x768 (which is what the editor runs in... I think), that'd be a start.

Um, is it just me, or am I the only one posting in this thread anymore?
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Max-Violence wrote:The ability to zoom out (and back in, of course) would be so damn useful in determining how one's map looks (and what the minimap render'll look like), it's almost funny. If someone could figure out how to run the editor in a higher resolution than 1024x768 (which is what the editor runs in... I think), that'd be a start.
FoT can be run in whatever resolution your computer can run in.
Run a shortcut with -w in the command line. It will start windowed, so then you can mazimise it to fit the screen. The level editor adjusts and shows more of your map.
It does run a tiny bit slower, though.
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
Our Host!