Griefing

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Smiley wrote:I like ganking low-level nubs in STV.

Actually that's not true, I like ganking their "uber geared" main characters, AFTER I kill their low-level nubs. When they come running for revenge, they still can't take me, and that's what makes it sweet.

Of course, I never start a battle. I conviniently justify going on a zone-killing spree even if they only make a /spit macro on me.

Ahhh.. nerdraging. iz fun.
Nerd rage being caused by a 'gasp' NERD.
If you hit 60, you are a nerd. End of fucking story. You go past that and well, make your own conclusions.

I hit 45 with nearly every char type and race. After that, the game is shit unless you invest entire days grinding. You gotta be a total toolbox to spend 8 hours running one goddamn instance also.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

The real Slim Frady wrote: I never got the point of that. Imo, being lvl 70 in STV is the biggest waste of time.
World PvP. Since you can't find it in outlands, I guess you have to find it elsewhere.
Honestly though, I never go there unless I have business.
I was boosting a friend of mine, when he was attacked, and I took revenge on the rest of the zone for it. Including a couple of fellow griefers who kept attacking Grom'Gol.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote: Nerd rage being caused by a 'gasp' NERD.
If you hit 60, you are a nerd. End of fucking story. You go past that and well, make your own conclusions.

I hit 45 with nearly every char type and race. After that, the game is shit unless you invest entire days grinding. You gotta be a total toolbox to spend 8 hours running one goddamn instance also.
I spent more than a year getting to 60, because I missed out on early leveling, so I took it very casually. When the expansion hit, I took off full blast, finally seeing some purpose to my druid.
I've visited fellow players in my own country and in Croatia, where we didn't even play a minute of computer. We went on a drinking binge, which in my opinion is much "worse", but just as fun.

It's funny how going full out nerdy gets you good friends who you know intimately before even meeting them.

Feel free to discredit me for being a stereotype or optimist. At least I'm having fun =D

Also, the game is much more "casual" friendly than before. You haven't even begun the game if you haven't even reached 60. It starts there, be it pvp, raiding or casual play. You pretty much threw away your time if you couldn't bother to finish any of your characters.
Of course, now it starts at 70. And time between levels has been decreased, since you get more xp for quests, and you need less to progress as well.

Playing an MMO when it's new always has its drawbacks, the people who jump from game to game always get bad impressions.
Testicular Pugilist
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Question: how do MMOs handle dial up slowpokes?

Does it even out everyone's speed in a certain area?

Could a ranged attecker outside of slow-zone exploit the situation?

Would a dial-up clan working together create a pocket of "slow-time".
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Redeye wrote:Question: how do MMOs handle dial up slowpokes?

Does it even out everyone's speed in a certain area?

Could a ranged attecker outside of slow-zone exploit the situation?

Would a dial-up clan working together create a pocket of "slow-time".
If you have a crappy connection, you will be at a somewhat advantage, but this is strictly endgame niche and generally, you should be able to play "fine" with about 300ms max.

You will be at a disadvantage, since you will have less time to react to interruptions, etc (certain raid bosses require very precise timings of actions, which if not performed timely will wipe the entire raid).

Oh and like Smiley said, WoW is much more about the community. Yes, WoW nerds exist, but it's not as necessarily bad as you think (reference, South Park WoW episode). I joined an all Estonian guild and when I went back home, we organized massive drinkfests with like 50+ people, was fun and you get to meet some great people. It's the community that keeps people playing WoW.

And also, the game does start at 70 indeed. I cannot emphasize this enough, but you won't believe it until you actually get to it. Yes, getting to 70 is a massif pain in the ass (I hated the game until then, I have no idea what kept me going), but after that it's worth it.

I quit playing around November last year due to university, but just logged on last night to a friend's account and played around for like 15min. WoW really is an awesome game. If you have ever played an MMO and enjoyed it, play WoW, it's about as good as it gets.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

There are a lot of possibilities in that game...

The obvious two parts are PvP and raiding, which have their rewards..

Battlegrounds are pretty nice in their own way.
Playing them with friends is by far the best, and giving the opposing team a whooping is very enjoyable.
BG's give honor, and allow you to acquire very good gear at a steady pace. I guess you could call it grinding, but if you genuinly enjoy playing, you get your gear before you know it.

Arena provides the "pro" play part of WoW, where planning, tactics and long hard work can get you in tournaments.. Some say that skills don't count in WoW, but this is where the good players are cut from the masses.

Raids are where being part of a team and a social gathering mean everything.
Either things work or they don't, but being positive, honest and making an effort will get you far, and will likely get you friends.
This is where the prestige and the best gear is, however hollow that might seem, this is what the main part of the game is.

Then there are the other, less explored parts of the game.. Some of which I enjoy a lot.

The lore is vast and very interesting to follow. Reading the books and playing the previous games offer much for the player to pursue.
Spending time after reaching high levels, exploring and completing quests, makes it a lot easier to enjoy, rather than getting the feeling of grinding your way through the content.

An unofficial side to the gameplay is exploring places where you aren't meant to go. I've been to more than forty places that are hard to reach, setting personal records time and again in reaching high points, unknown places, bugged areas and other interesting places.. Through walljumping.

Point is, there are a LOT of ways to have fun in this game, covering a lot of interests, and even more so when the next expansion hits.
Testicular Pugilist
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

I am definately not looking forward to the expansion. Just because my character, into which I've invested A LOT of time, will practically become obsolete. I will leave my druid as it is at level 70, and if I ever start playing again, will make a new character, taking this one to 80.

Anyway Smiley, how's your raiding going? Last time I remember, you guys were still doing Gruul. Got SSC and TK clear by now?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

I know how you feel.. since I have a beta-key, I'm 90% sure I'll get into WoTLK beta, and get to see what Death Knight is all about.
If I like it, I'll dump my druid and take that class instead.
I'm fairly sick of my feral getting shafted in the ass every patch. Developers are outright negligent and rude when it comes to shamans and druids =/

Leaving my druid behind is not something I look forwards to, I've spent a lot of time getting special items for her, including the Murloc Suit which is a real morale booster in any situation.

There are rumors of a new Arch-Druid hero class, maybe that will be interesting, or druid related?

Progress is pretty fine. I disbanded the guild I led, since most people just left us for more progressed guilds as they got gear.
I jumped to an SSC/TK guild, and went with them all the way to assgalore and gurtog bloodboil kills, as well as making officer in record time, trying to "save" the social aspect of it.
I gave up in the end, and joined a guild that's been around since server-start, back in 05, and also 3 of my friends were there.
We're up to MH down and Gurtog our next goal in BT.
I got my first piece of T6, helm no less..

The most interesting right now is our ZA runs, which are within time limit on all 4 bosses. We get bearmount each time we go, and hopefully I'll get my DPS ring from third chest soon, since it's the best currently, even better than the MH rep ring.
I don't mind grinding for things, but getting specific loot from a timed event where the PvP - stamina/resilience ring has dropped eight times out of ten, is not exactly thrilling.

As for gear wise, I'm doing pretty well. Since there's little difference between the tier sets, I'm using T4 for tanking in BT, and T5 for temporary DPS. I'll switch around all gear when I have 4/5 T6, make that tanking, dump T5 in the bank and make a mix gear for DPS.
Testicular Pugilist
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Well, I was just speaking to my guildies on IRC and I might just get back into raiding, but very, very lightly, like 1-2 raids per week max. If I cannot contain myself, I just won't pay for another month. Not even sure if I'm going to do this, I might see in a week or two.

Oh and the Death Knight bullshit is really missing me, I'm definately not hyped about that. Maybe because I feel that it's going to be a class eliminator or something, and you know, it's the weak spot for us druids.

Yes, Feral can use some attention, but right now I am not complaining. It has it's uses in PvE, albeit pretty limited (I won't comment on PvP, that's a disgrace).

Nice progress by the way. When I quit sometime in November, we had 4/5 MH and 3/9 BT, but now my guild has cleared MH and is up to RoS in BT (down to 20% in last phase, should drop tonight), so I have a lot of bosses to catch up with.

Oh and for your Feral sets, use T5 for tanking, definately. As you get T6, use that for DPS. You hit the armor cap at T5 anyway, so all that T6 gives you is a little extra dodge and little stamina. It's not worth it. Just socket T5 for tanking and T6 for DPS, that's what every feral is doing. Grats on T6 helm by the way.

I'm currently using full T4 for tanking, general rogue gear for DPS, and T5 equivalent for resto (I raid as resto, only respec feral if there is a shortage). Will hopefully start hogging BT loot as soon as possible. Also, I've been hogging Kara + SSC + TK Moonkin loot. Have something like +1000 spelldmg and I've never ever specced balance.

I think I might have to go back to ZA, as much as I don't like it. Just some really awesome gear drops there. Oh and as much as I hate arena, I'll have to farm my S3 mace. My friend is in #1 2on2 and 3on3 teams in the battlegroup, so I'll just have to do 2 weeks of arena to get that, won't be too stressful hopefully.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

What every feral is doing, is not exactly the right thing to do. I know the armor caps before, because it caps on T4 already. T5 has less armor due to set bonuses.

I'll use T6 for tanking, because we'll probably need the best in sunwell, and it'll be great for the next expansion. As for DPS set, T6 isn't exactly the top gear. I'll be using mix gear, which will have me at max hit cap, high crit, high expertise and a shitload of AP. 2 pieces of T4 for the energy bonus, which is unparalleled. T6 2 piece bonus is worth nothing, I don't even use mangle, since I have a mangle botter.

Next upgrade; straight to T6. I might not be the best geared feral on the server, but I'm definately one of the most competent =)
I've declined two full-clear guilds to stay in this one, since we're having so much fun.
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Gentlemen, please.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Get a hobby.
Testicular Pugilist
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Smiley wrote:Get a hobby.
I have a hobby. I play games. Multiple. Ever changing. Never boring.

When I played WoW, shit like SM took way to fucking long. I can't imagine the runs that took 8 hours to complete. Gnomer's excessive runs as an example. Any game that requires that much time invested has something very wrong with it.
And even if the game has gotten better, I still have buddies who only BG because the time involved in instances is massive.
I'm not spending time mindlessly grinding for 10 hours so I can get levels.

I detach my mind enough at work.
I want my time at home to be entertaining and drug fueled.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

get a bot - WoW actually is quite a bit of fun, I just refuse to pay $15 a month or so for one game.

Regardless of your views using a bot, it only took a week (mebbe less I dunno) to get past level 50 for him.....

I'll pass along the addy if you're interested, if not...meh.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:
Smiley wrote:Get a hobby.
I have a hobby. I play games. Multiple. Ever changing. Never boring.
I didn't direct that at you. There's no sacrilege in not playing wow.
I gave an honest opinion and explanation of why WoW have many possibilities to be fun. In your case, you gave up before reaching the point in the game where it actually begins.

8 hours of SM is not exactly likely. First off, there's a reason that it's divided.
And you were either in a pick up group, or with inexperienced players.

And playing any mmo, isn't exactly an exclusion of other games.
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!