Playing past the ending in Fallout 1.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Communazi
SDF!
SDF!

Playing past the ending in Fallout 1.

Post by Communazi »

I know a mod exists that allows you to continue playing but I own the OS X version of Fallout 1 so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for me. I've decided to replay the game but I always thought it sucked that you couldn't continue playing after the overseer exiled you. There is a very informative walkthrough (http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html) I read to see if there were any aspects of Fallout 1 I missed. Near the end of the walkthrough it states this:
So you thought killing the Overseer was funny? Here's an additional twist: use the moment you have before he appears to turn your character in another direction. When the times comes to shoot, your character will fire the gun in the direction he or she is currently facing, and the Overseer still gets hit! That's gunmanship. It's also possible to use this time to run to the world map (if you manage to click on the exit grid before the game takes control away from you, you'll get away). Now you can continue playing the game as long as you don't return to the Vault 13 cave map. When you come back here, another Overseer will appear next to the first one! You only get to shoot one of them, though. He's worth 250 xp, by the way
The thought crossed my mind a while back but I could never actually achieve what is describes here. Has anyone actually gotten this to work?
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Communazi? That's interesting...
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

The guide also states that:
If your character is a Berserker or Childkiller, or has the Bloody Mess perk or low karma (-2 or less), you'll automatically draw a gun (in fact a 10mm Pistol is newly created for you) and shoot the Overseer as he's walking away. If you don't, and want to kill him anyway, you can press A for combat mode as soon as dialogue ends, then grab your favourite weapon and let him have it.
So you can choose the Bloody Mess trait or be a badass and you'll have the possibility to continue playing after then ending. I haven't tried that trick you mentioned, so I don't know about that. Also, if there are differences between the PC and OS X version, I can't say.
Liam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Liam »

actually being a berserker just means you'll kill him automatically :/

I didn't try the running thing. It should work, though, just press A fast enough after the turn ends. Then again, what's the point if most of the wasteland has already been killed by you?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

i think you needed a lot of AP for this since you wont make it to the exit grid in one turn, and you can't go to combat mode very many times without the game ending. i could be wrong though, it's been a while
Our Host!