Dev Diary at the Fallout Website

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Dev Diary at the Fallout Website

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>The Official Fallout webite over at Bethesda has been updated with a <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/d ... 09.08.html" target="_self">developer diary</a> from Lead Designer <strong>Emil Pagliarulo</strong>. There's a lot of interesting information and concept art about the new Brotherhood of Steel. Highlights:</p><blockquote><p><em>...So it really didn&rsquo;t come as a surprise to anyone within the
Brotherhood of Steel when the order&rsquo;s ruling council, based in Southern
California, decided to send a contingent of soldiers all the way to the
East Coast, with two important objectives: </em></p><ol><li><em>To
scour the ruins of Washington D.C., once the nation&rsquo;s capital, and
recover any and all advanced technology. After all, D.C. was the home
of the Pentagon, the very headquarters of the United States Department
of Defense. Who knows what secrets &ndash; or equipment &ndash; they left behind?</em></li><li><em>To
investigate the reports of Super Mutant activity in the area. Could
these creatures be somehow related to those that fled eastward after
the Master&rsquo;s destruction (as depicted at the end of Fallout 1). Or were
these Super Mutants something else entirely?</em></li></ol></blockquote>
Check out the whole thing <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/d ... 09.08.html" target="_self">here</a>. Definitely worth a read.
<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

hopefully someone can enlighten me if my assumption is incorrect, but here goes:

i always assumed that when the vault dweller destroyed mariposa and the cathedral the majority of the mutants died as a result. i figured that the mutants who survived and fled east were a tiny group? not enough for them to be the common mook enemy that they appear to be in f3?

also the bos was a very small organization with no more than 200 or so members at the time of f1, and 80 years later, in f2 it was in decline and was even smaller. how or why would they bother sending anyone to the east coast?

i havent read the fallout bibles in years so i guess my assumptions could be false
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Re: Dev Diary at the Fallout Website

Post by popscythe »

King of Creation wrote:Definitely worth a read.
*cough*terrible justifications written after writing the terrible plotline*cough*
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

I just get more depressed the more I read about Bethesda's necrophilic raping of a once great franchise.

Fuck them in their collective asshole.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

johnnygothisgun wrote:hopefully someone can enlighten me if my assumption is incorrect, but here goes:

i always assumed that when the vault dweller destroyed mariposa and the cathedral the majority of the mutants died as a result. i figured that the mutants who survived and fled east were a tiny group? not enough for them to be the common mook enemy that they appear to be in f3?
The main mutant force was hidden in the mountains.

This is referenced at least once in FO.

I just can't remember where.

also the bos was a very small organization with no more than 200 or so members at the time of f1, and 80 years later, in f2 it was in decline and was even smaller. how or why would they bother sending anyone to the east coast?
Yeah, that's a poser.

Assume that the non-splinter guys helped build the airships for the splinter guys and then packed all of the splinter guys on board...

How many airships did the BOS send east in the [non-canon] tactics?

A dozen? Less? How many people in each? A dozen?

So there must have been a lot more than 200 BOS to start with.

I assume that the BOS would have encouraged reproduction but also encouraged planned births due to being in a vault.

Still, they could have had a total population of close to 1000 by the time of FO 1.

FOT splintering takes 20% off...

Maybe this could work.

But no way are they going to have an East Coast presence unless some genius rediscovered radios.

The BOS may have spread the gospel via AM just like ... now.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

here goes a positive comment: I like the art
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Here goes a more positive comment: omg this game rocks, i loved oblivion lol its liek so much fun i cant wait graphix are unbelievable so cool im now playing halo3 but cant wait for fallout3 lol i dunno whi its '3' but lol i love it
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So they're continuing the Tactics/FOBOS storyline? :?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

asdf
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

But Elder Owyn Lyons had another priority, one he considered more important than his original directive or any orders received since – the protection of the innocent people of the Capital Wasteland.
Say whaaaaaa?
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

edhead wrote:
But Elder Owyn Lyons had another priority, one he considered more important than his original directive or any orders received since – the protection of the innocent people of the Capital Wasteland.
Say whaaaaaa?
qfe
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

after reading the dev diary, im actually comforted. game mechanics are still a huge issue, but as long as beth takes care to explain carefully and sensibly the reasons for the brotherhood and mutants to be on the east coast, i can probably go with that
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

johnnygothisgun wrote:as long as beth takes care to explain carefully and sensibly the reasons for the brotherhood and mutants to be on the east coast
And the reasons why BOS is such a faggy, knightly, non-canon organization in Fallout 3.
PiP

Post by PiP »

edhead wrote:
Say whaaaaaa?
this gets 5 Chucks out of 2 Herves
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

I don't know, maybe I'm not reading behind the lines here enough, but why is everyone still saying that the BOS is some crazy knightly order, set to protect the innocent? According to that dev post, the BOS are still the same technophiles they've always been, and the "Outcasts" are the BOS everyone be hatin' on.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

No, it's the other way around. The Outcasts are the isolationistic technophiles, while the Capital Wasteland BOS are chivalrous kinghts.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

entertainer wrote:whi
you totally won me over at "whi"
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Ausir wrote:No, it's the other way around. The Outcasts are the isolationistic technophiles, while the Capital Wasteland BOS are chivalrous kinghts.
Oh.

Oooohhhhh.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

(insert random hate-based insult)
���������
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

maybe we can mod the game to change all references to BOS/FO1/FO2 to something new, East-Coast based. Might wash the lousy taste out.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Our Host!