Amazing new speech tree system!!!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
MagnumOpus
SDF!
SDF!

Amazing new speech tree system!!!

Post by MagnumOpus »

A new speech tree system has been developed that will allow modders to create complex dialogue interactions with a simple series of triggers.

A comprehensive tutorial can be found at the following link.

http://magnumswastelandprojects.wikispa ... eech+Trees

There is also a link to on this site download the test map used to create this tutorial.
Last edited by MagnumOpus on Sat May 12, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

The map works fine. Dragging stuff from the inventory to do dialogue choices is kinda weird. Way better than the original static dialogue, still. Good job!
MagnumOpus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MagnumOpus »

Yes, dragging and dropping stuff isn't as nice as just clicking on which choice you wish to make, but once you get used to it, its pretty nifty. I'm hoping that with a new speech tree system in place that allows for complex dialogue, people will have a renewed interest in modding for FOT.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Looks great. It's what FOT always needed.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
MagnumOpus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MagnumOpus »

thanks for the kudos. requiem for a starfury diserves a lot of the credit too. he helped me out tons.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Well..well..well

Finally hope for Tactics
Much better then clicking the 1 or 2 entitiies on the screen...much cleaner.

I have a couple of hundred hours on the editor....and many many maps and thousands of speech files....

The reason I gave up is the lack of a full speech tree...
I want to tell a story ( with options and consequences)...and not just make another map....

So....maybe I'll get back to work....

Anway to keep the entities at the top of inventory?
Or at least together?

Seems they might get lost...be like " Now where did I put the damn A?"

I noticed they were bunched together when you started...then I realized your inventory was empty.

Or are the entities given and taken away at each converstaion?...no that would be way too hard to write.

I know...a backpack or something that is openable in inventory...no..wait...can't do that either...

Could have called it the bag of knowledge..or something...

Anyway ..I'm reinstalling the editor as I type and hunting down all my maps, mods, custom entities, sprites, tiles etc...and D/Ling the ABCD entities...

I understand the speech tree very well....I even have about 4 hours of recorded conversations and speech...
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

ogreb wrote:Anway to keep the entities at the top of inventory?
Or at least together?
If you make the entities using the 'GenericItem' option, then they'll be in the 'Other' section if the player uses the inventory filter.
ogreb wrote:I understand the speech tree very well....I even have about 4 hours of recorded conversations and speech...
I can't remember if the display world text automatically plays sound files like the default click speech, mission briefing/debriefings etc. You might have to add a play wav action along with the display world text.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Hey!
I remember you!

You put up with all my dumb questions when I first started...

I'd have to re-do all the actual speech as the story has changed mightly since I began and then gave up!

So thanks for the speech trick ( You too Magnus!)

What is it about people willing to spend so much time and effort to make ( and still make) mods and campaigns for this ancient game?

What is about these games I should say?

I have a
Q6700
4 gig ddr 2
8800 GTX
and a widescreen LCD

I can play any game out at pretty much max....yet I still find myself playing Fallout...and Tactics..
And now I'm about to devote a couple of hundred hours making a campaign for it...???...that maybe only a handfull of people will ever play?!

I must be insane....

I will use the generic item trick to keep them together...

You guys must have no life...just like me! ha ha

Keep up the good work....and thanks again!
MagnumOpus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MagnumOpus »

glad you like the speech tree system. its actually the first project i worked on for fot.

origionally i was just trying to work on a yes/no system. requiem kept giving me links to different info related to speech trees, and somewhere along the way it dawned on me to try a multiple choice system.

at first i was just gonna do it with clickspeech, but requiem came up with the idea of using world text which was much better, especially since you can put a big ass picture of whomever it is that you're talking to in the world text window.

it would be nice if we could figure out how to mimic talking heads. i think it was requiem that suggested using .bnk movies. perhaps with some clevar scripting something could be created that looks similar, but thats a project for another day.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

I had tried a different speech system earlier...

You put the entities off the screen and when you entered speech the entities would magically appear on the screen next to the avatar...
Then you could click on either entity to activate triggers , speech etc...

It was just too much work...

The lack of a speech tree was the main reason I gave up...
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

this is probably the coolest thing that's ever haappened to FOT
does this work
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

One thing that should be noted is that world text entries like holodisc entries need a title to keep them seperate in the pipboy log screen. That title can be the player's option from the previous branch so you know which response you took.

For example

max_1_W = {[img]\n\n
Hi there I'm Max have you seen my dog Dogmeat around?\n\n
<Cr>A. I saw a scrawny mongrel back that aways, it had a red bandana around it's neck. Is that your dog?\n\n
<Cy>B. Sorry I haven't seen any dogs for ages.\n\n
<Cm>C. The only dogmeat I've seen went in my belly, quite tasty it was too.\n\n
<Cc>D. Who cares loser, drop your weapons and empty your pockets or I'll blow you away.}

title_max_A_W = {I saw a scrawny mongrel back that aways, it had a red bandana around it's neck. Is that your dog?}

max_A_W = {[img]\n\n
Yeah that sounds like Dogmeat, can you lead me to him?\n\n
<Cr>A. Yeah sure follow me it's not far.\n\n
<Cy>B. Sorry I haven't got the time, but he's not far just down the street and around the corner.\n\n
<Cm>C. I'll consider it if there's a reward going.\n\n
<Cc>D. Who cares loser, drop your weapons and empty your pockets or I'll blow you away.}
INDIANOS
SDF!
SDF!

Post by INDIANOS »

You see requiem_for_a_starfury i am the one who helped you to understand that the mute human player
is wrong for an NPC dialogue tree .

Do you have the honesty to admit it or you will say that you are the one who found this mistake ?
I see from the time you corrected it that you changed your opinion after my post and after
4 hours and 20 min .

You had to write to this topic for 6 monts and 20 days now you saw what was wrong.You see that if
a human suggests can help others to fix some problems
(I helped you with my topic to see that)

You always sayng to my topic that my way is useless and nothing who is the wrong here ?
If you fix this problem and it will work with a demo mission (the human player will have voice and
not be mute and the pipboy screen shows each dialogue tree for each different NPC to different screens)

Then i will say that is good way i am not like you who rejects everything different i only say in
its situatiuon what i believe it will make it better.

We are different people . I respect other players work if they respect me .
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Yeah you pointed out the problem, only in trying to defend your system by attacking this one. If you really were trying to be helpful you would of contacted Magnum or posted in this thread in the first place that the log file was jumbled up. Only a real idiot or an attention whore tries to do one better (and fails) rather than report a bug.

I never use the log file so yeah I never noticed that there was a minor problem, so thanks.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Jim the Dinosaur
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Jim the Dinosaur »

B)
Like petals
Falling from a dying rose
So does my tears

-Smiley
Manoil