Thoughts on Ghouls...

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Yeah, Plutonius is one, but they could have different religions like humans do. Plutoinius is probably the ghouls equivalent of Christianity.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

But ghoul's "Christianity" can wipe out a whole country :D
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

not unlike the in the past as christians have done
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Remember that Ghouls were Carrion eaters in Fo. mabye you'd like to port that trait across.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Possible, I had similar ideas. Also I intend to portray them as being weird(but probably not weird in the way you might think) and have developed different factions and levels of technology.
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

were ghouls subjected to forced evolution virus, or high levels of background radiation? (AKA fallout) if so the latter then the whole idea of an increased lifespan is a joke........ 200yrs+? hahaha!

-Richy
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Richy wrote:were ghouls subjected to forced evolution virus, or high levels of background radiation?
Ghouls are the result of exposure to the FEV after they had been exposed to radiation, although not enough to kill them, or give them radiation poisoning.

Glowing Ones are the result of Ghouls being exposed to high levels of background radiation after they had metamorphosed into Ghouls.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Just to clarify for all those people who think otherwise. Harold (from fallout 1&2) is a mutant right? He mutated as a result of exposure to FEV when the master was born from his friend, Gray. He is NOT a ghoul. Am I right people?
Cakes
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cakes »

right. according to the fallout bible, harold was exposed to FEV, but the ghouls as a whole were created from the vault in necropolis when its doors didn't close when the bombs fell. which i guess means radiation exposure.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I'm not sure that all ghouls come from the Necropolis Vault. It's been implied in the Bible that the experiment of leaving the doors malfunctioning resulted in Ghouls creation, but one can argue that these circumstances(low radiation exposure+FEV) were met multiple times, so ghouls could actually emerge from all corners of the continent.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

I gotta wonder.
If a vault is supposed to hold thousands of people, where is all the living space at!

I mean, when you go into V13 or any other vault in Fo1/2 there doesnt look like there's much living room.

My guess... the elevator goes down to levels 4-20 or something but you aren't allowed down there because the top three decks are for management personnell (and are in charge of keeping the vault running... sort of like janitors and machinists... the overseer is on level 3 anyway), and the lower levels are for the "civilians".

-----
If the necropolis vault held thousands of people (ghouls), then it isn't completly out of the question that most of the ghouls in the game came from V12... the bakersfield vault was pretty damn desolate by the time the vault dweller got to it... that's 80 years the people would have had to leave the vault and spread to other areas (like midwest).

So how would radiation have gotten in the vault anyway? Judging from the archetecture, V12 would be really hard to get contaminants into because of the fact you have to go through the water pump building and a buffer chamber (the one with the hole in the floor) to even get to the room near the entrance.

I'd have to say that the main source of contamination probably would have been food - scrounged up from the outside and carried in by lazy vault dwellers (not wanting to grow their own food - why go to the trouble if exposed already... self-fulfilling prophecy), or water... because water could have seeped in or came in thorugh the air - water vapor from the nearby sewers (carrying in all sorts of radioactive byproducts which get inhaled).

How did the FEV virus reach bakersfield from the west-tech facility anyway? Isn't FEV a non-air cummunicable virus? It could have reached there by contaminating the water table but I doubt it... bakersfield is uphill from there... :x
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Sirgalahadwizard wrote:If a vault is supposed to hold thousands of people, where is all the living space at!
Maps aren't literal representations of locations. Rather, they are abstracted representations that show the areas that are relevant to the adventure. According to the FO Bible, each Vault was designed to hold 1,000 people. Needless to say the maps of vaults in the game aren't nearly big enough for that.

Note also that none of the towns would "work" they way they are mapped out. For instance, there wouldn't be nearly enough food produced in the Wastes.
Sirgalahadwizard wrote: If the necropolis vault held thousands of people (ghouls), then it isn't completly out of the question that most of the ghouls in the game came from V12... the bakersfield vault was pretty damn desolate by the time the vault dweller got to it... that's 80 years the people would have had to leave the vault and spread to other areas (like midwest).
Being a standard vault, V-12 held 1,000 people. Not all Ghouls came from this vault, but it seems to have been the main source of them. There was an exodus from Necropolis following the events of FO1. Check the FO Bible for details.
Sirgalahadwizard wrote:So how would radiation have gotten in the vault anyway?
V-12's function defect - as part of the gov't's experiments w/the vaults - was that the door didn't seal.
Sirgalahadwizard wrote:How did the FEV virus reach bakersfield from the west-tech facility anyway? Isn't FEV a non-air cummunicable virus? It could have reached there by contaminating the water table but I doubt it... bakersfield is uphill from there...
I'm not sure about this one. If it isn't addressed in the FO Bible you might want to drop Chris Avellone (CAvellone@Blackisle.com) a line and he can find the answer for you and/or post it in the next edition of the FO Bible. He's busy w/the IWD2 project right now though, so cut him some slack on replying.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Our Host!