Thoughts on Ghouls...

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Thoughts on Ghouls...

Post by Flamescreen »

I'm starting the creation of a new campaign about ghouls soon and I wanted your people feedback. What do you think should be the way ghouls live, eat, their philosophy, their tech level etc.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

uhm...want to see what i think character-wise:ghouls were once human also,right? so maybe keep this in mind so we don't create total radiated 'Monsters'. can accentuate on how major ghoul characters are still, fundamentally, attempting to clinge to the last vestiges of their former self- yeah! like vampires from white wolf's masquerade.

i don't think they especially HATE humans or other races, their instinctive-reaction toward humans and the other denizens of the wasteland might best be described as 'wary'. when i look at the computer controlled ghouls, i always get the "sad...i'm so unfortunate-why must i be amongst those who got so badly radiated...type of self-pity" feeling. maybe it's just me, but they seem to lean toward passive co-existence, more so than as aggressors. what do you think?

how come they have so damn high IN & PE? i still don't understand this. might this (IN) affect tech level?

...could they have high tech level because they are 'more peaceful' than other more aggressive races?=our own world history has shown us time and time again... peaceful co-existence and diplomatic attitude(eg. most western rulers/civilisations/empires) have proven ultimately more beneficial in the long run than pure invasion strategem(genghis khan/mongols). the mongols burn most of everything to the ground after they conquer (i know this for sure, as i am a descendant of Gray Wolf, however distant), whereas in a peaceful civilisation, the benefits reaped from Constructive Development are far much greater. ??er... anyway....you...know....what i'm tryingto say man?

how they should eat : very disgustingly! on the aspect of their feeding habits, i should think, (disregard what i said about their human side), they just shove shit into their mouths(if they still have full working mouths)/holes in their faces with their fingers. uhm...noisy and messy

hope u grant me some leeway if what i think of ghouls is very different from your perception flamey
TONIGHT THE AGE OF MAN COMES TO AN END
godspeed@c4.org
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well I understand the high intelligence, alas those ghouls've been living for hundreads of years and their brains are most likely been effected positively by radiation.

But I can't understand the perception-thingie... If their eyes are rotten and their hands shake, how the hell can they be great snipers in Fo:T?

More INT boost and lower the PER bonus!

Ghouls are wise, ghouls are fun and ghouls are smart... Did I say it already? Ach, well I don't mind.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

Also, a penalty to Strenght and Charisma too. They should have a very good Intelligent bonus cos they lived for so long, they prolly gained alot more experience than a normal human does.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

i think that ghouls should be peacefull and live basically like humans. the ghouls in your campaign should be peacefull but have one or two nutcases, just like humans. and have some massacar of ghouls by some evil humans. that could bring out 100 years of penned up anger in an instant
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

If you wanted to equate ghouls to any form of character in a standard RPG setting, id have to say the closest thing that comes to them is the elves. They aren't beautiful, and they aren't graceful - but they are frail, live to be hundreds of years old, are particularly intelligent, and are probably smaller than a normal person (size degenerated when turned into ghoul).

They've had a good 150 years (depending on which fallout you're talking about) to soak up information, not to mention things they may have known from before the war. :twisted:
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

If you become a Ghoul-friend, you can get some free 'sloppy ghoul action' at the nearest brothel.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

Sirgalahadwizard wrote:If you wanted to equate ghouls to any form of character in a standard RPG setting, id have to say the closest thing that comes to them is the elves. They aren't beautiful, and they aren't graceful - but they are frail, live to be hundreds of years old, are particularly intelligent, and are probably smaller than a normal person (size degenerated when turned into ghoul).
or...dark elves!!! hmm maybe githyanki/githzerai in physique...

[smiley, if you're reading this i'm sure you know what i mean...]
godspeed@c4.org
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Thanks for the feedback people, i agree with most of your views and some are pretty much identical to my own. Keep posting! More on their ways of thinking and possibly food habbits. Would you think they could eat stuff that humans couldn't because of radiation/FEV effects?(Like poisonous herbs or somethin'?) I mean the survived the apocalupse didn't they? So what would really poison a ghoul, other that a Rad-scorpion sting perhaps?
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

BloodGod wrote: i don't think they especially HATE humans or other races, their instinctive-reaction toward humans and the other denizens of the wasteland might best be described as 'wary'. when i look at the computer controlled ghouls, i always get the "sad...i'm so unfortunate-why must i be amongst those who got so badly radiated...type of self-pity" feeling. maybe it's just me, but they seem to lean toward passive co-existence, more so than as aggressors. what do you think?
That's only to be expected as everybody else seem to either enslave or kill every ghoul they encounter.... Thanks to their extended life spans, I think they take the 'long term view' on most matters. As they could live for around 200 years, they'd be far more willing to co-operate on a project that might not 'pay off' for 50 years or so.

Whatever their personal beliefs and preferrences, they know they're no match for a well armed group of normal humans or SMs and therefore try to be useful to whatever groups they meet in order to avoid being at the wrong end of an assault rifle....I definitely think ghouls have their own agenda, but day to day survival requires them to keep their plans well hidden.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

uh.. i was wondering . . . uhh has . . . anyone ever found Babs .. 'cute'...in a...a...a morbid way..? i mean,.. sometimes?!

damn, i must have overdosed myself on reading too many of pyro's posts....i'm like getting addicted to it...
godspeed@c4.org
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

BloodGod wrote:uh.. i was wondering . . . uhh has . . . anyone ever found Babs .. 'cute'...in a...a...a morbid way..? i mean,.. sometimes?!

damn, i must have overdosed myself on reading too many of pyro's posts....i'm like getting addicted to it...
As long as you don't start fancying the critters, you'll be alright! Check out Pyro's mystery link #1 in the Wasteland to see an artist that has major 'critter' issues.....
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Since this topic is about ghouls, can anybody tell me what armor does ghouls wear? My Babs is wearing Enviromental Armor, and it sucks cos it reduces alot of the skills.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

They wear special ghoul armour that cannot be bought, only found on other ghould recruits.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

There's also a special encounter that yiu can buy one peice of ghoul armor.

I think it's the "bazaar" one.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

i'd think that one or two ghouls would be really angry about the fact humans arent frail and stuff but some would feel they are supperior
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

A good place to get the feeling of hatred towards ghouls is Springfield on Fallout Tactics. Sounds very close to the segregation laws.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

you'd have to think about what religion ghouls would be.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

True, you would need to get deep into their way of life to find that out.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Ghoul's religion?

Do you mean the Plutonius? :wink:
Our Host!