Fallout 3 Q&A is up

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Fallout 3 Q&A is up

Post by Urizen »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=17">Top Story: Big Fallout 3 Updates</a> | More info on <a href="#Todd Howard">Person: Todd Howard</a> | More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>The announced Fallout 3 <a target="_blank" href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... >Questions and Answers session</a> with Todd Howard is up on the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ">Official Forums</a>. Some quotes that may be of special interest to fans of the original series:</p><blockquote><p>
<em><strong>"Is unarmed combat in? If so, is it lethal or does it knockout your opponent? [Waterchip]</strong>
</em></p><p><em>Yes, it&rsquo;s in, and yes, it&rsquo;s lethal. It&rsquo;s a big part of the game, and as far as game balance, it&rsquo;s our goal to make melee as viable as using guns in killing off enemies. It&rsquo;s something we&rsquo;re obviously still balancing, but I expect melee to be more &ldquo;lethal&rdquo;, as getting near an opponent can be more difficult, especially if they have a gun, but at the same time, you don&rsquo;t have to worry about your ammo counts, so that&rsquo;s an immediate benefit to melee."</em></p><p><em>
<strong>"Is combat playable in the zoomed out third person ("almost iso") perspective and how will VATS work from it, meaning - will it zoom into FP or something else? [kaos] </strong>

I&rsquo;d have to say &ldquo;no&rdquo;. Combat&rsquo;s not really playable when you zoom the camera all the way back and point it down. You can try, but it&rsquo;s not meant to be played that way, because you still have to aim at the center of the screen, and at that point, the center is the ground. It&rsquo;s playable from 1st and 3rd person, but closer-in over-the-shoulder 3rd person. Regarding VATS., it does zoom in on your target, from your eyes, so I guess you&rsquo;d say it is a &ldquo;1st person&rdquo; view. So if you&rsquo;re playing in 3rd person and enter VATS, you zoom in on the target, and when you&rsquo;re done, it flips back to your 3rd person view. It happens pretty fast and it&rsquo;s smooth. I kind of see VATS as its own view." </em></p><p><em><strong>"Will you have the written descriptions of items or just the visual? Granted, the visuals work just fine for me, but I loved the descriptions from the earlier Fallouts about how nasty the bed looks or whatever. Will there be something like our beloved text box anywhere in the main HUD? [anonymous] </strong>
</em></p><p><em>We just show the object name, like &ldquo;nasty bed&rdquo;, but in general, I think if we&rsquo;re relying on text to describe how something looks, sounds, etc, then we screwed up not having that come across naturally with what the player is seeing. It annoys me whenever we have to resort to describing something like that, even in Oblivion, with, say a journal describing how I feel or what I am seeing&hellip;it should just happen naturally."</em></p></blockquote><p>Take a look at the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... 135">whole thing</a>. It answers a few more questions, and it's a good read. </p>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Fallout 3 is going to be sooo awesoem
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Why bother choosing questions if you're "not ready to talk about it" yet?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

faction action/interaction
an amazing fragment[/quote]
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

exbawks
Serious Business.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

King of Creation wrote:Why bother choosing questions if you're "not ready to talk about it" yet?
Because we chose the questions, not Bethesda. In that sense he talked more than what I was expecting.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

next time ask him more serious questions about his dicksize and stds
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

I think if we&#8217;re relying on text to describe how something looks, sounds, etc, then we screwed up not having that come across naturally with what the player is seeing.
ever heard of multimedia? it's when you use different media to reinforce each other. like if you have a scrapbook with pics in it, you can write something underneath a picture so people knows who's in it. sounds great, huh? but i guess if it were up to you, we wouldn't have books anymore either, just pages filled with 3D images.
todd, you suck. try reading a book some time, okay?
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Thor Kaufman wrote:next time ask him more serious questions about his dicksize and stds
That's a deal :salute:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Urizen wrote:
I think if we’re relying on text to describe how something looks, sounds, etc, then we screwed up not having that come across naturally with what the player is seeing.
ever heard of multimedia? it's when you use different media to reinforce each other. like if you have a scrapbook with pics in it, you can write something underneath a picture so people knows who's in it. sounds great, huh? but i guess if it were up to you, we wouldn't have books anymore either, just pages filled with 3D images.
todd, you suck. try reading a book some time, okay?
Because stimulating the player's imagination is so pre-gen. Why use words when you they can shoot some POLYGONS at you instead?
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Emil Pagliarulo, the lead designer, does the bulk of the writing. I can’t say enough good things about his stuff, it’s fantastic. We both wanted to do a father/child thing very early on
:jerk:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Thor Kaufman wrote:next time ask him more serious questions about his dicksize and stds
4in/herp

don't ask how I know.

//applies valtrex to face.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

also, feral ghouls ARE IN. i'm not kidding.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

um Todd Howard um Todd Howard we call him a coward :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Briosafreak wrote:
King of Creation wrote:Why bother choosing questions if you're "not ready to talk about it" yet?
Because we chose the questions, not Bethesda. In that sense he talked more than what I was expecting.
Well they got a crap-ton of questions. They could have at least picked a bunch that they could fully explain. I'm sure there were enough.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

King of Creation wrote:Well they got a crap-ton of questions. They could have at least picked a bunch that they could fully explain. I'm sure there were enough.
That's assuming that the content they have planned in the game is 1. longer than two hours. 2. more complicated than what we've already seen. Do not, I repeat do not be suprised if DC, megaton and an "end area" are 90% of the game in a "now that you've finished DC, you can go to megaton but beware adventurer, you can never come back!!!!" format.

So my answer to your question is that the interview covered absolutely everthing in fallout 3 besides listing the 37 npc's you can talk to and writing down their entire dialog tree, or an item list or something.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

King of Creation wrote:
Briosafreak wrote:
Well they got a crap-ton of questions. They could have at least picked a bunch that they could fully explain. I'm sure there were enough.
Nah, they only got twenty questions, with five optional ones, chosen from the 100 or so available from the feedback on the community. Those twenty five were picked by Blintzer following the advice of a few others (Ausir, Brother None, me, etc).
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

A bugger that they decided to include karma points, as an indicator of good/bad. I had hoped for the game to take a step away from such clear distinctions.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

VasikkA wrote:A bugger that they decided to include karma points, as an indicator of good/bad. I had hoped for the game to take a step away from such clear distinctions.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the impression they're including karma points which are specific to factions -- kind of like the regional reputations in fallout 2, which makes more sense than a big ole universal karma number.

presumably it would be impossible to have a high karma with all the factions in the game.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, the GTA karma system is somewhat better than the one used in Fallout, but you'll ultimately end up doing quests for either good factions(BoS(which actually should be neutral, but Beth will presumably miss this)) or evil(Raiders, Slavers). I'd prefer more ambiguous and more indirect results of the player's actions than some queer +2 rep. Faction A and -2 rep. Faction B pop-ups upon completed quests. The whole faction concept reeks TES.
Our Host!