Fallout 3 is Serious Business!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Fallout 3 is Serious Business!

Post by Alexander »

<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Emil Pagliarulo">Person: Emil Pagliarulo</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Not being <strong>silly</strong> is something that lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo apparently feels very passionately about. This is what he told <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 3&skip=yes" target="_blank">PC Zone</a>:</p><blockquote><p><em>There are some people who say that making an 18-rated game, and
especially making a Fallout one, should be about sleeping with the
hooker, then waking up with the venereal disease. A lot of that stuff
personally, to me, veers into being a 12-year old dungeon master.
</em></p><p><em>Some of it feels right and some of it feels wrong. We're appealing
to an adult audience and it's a tough call. I mean, once you have groin
shots you're approaching a level of silliness that, if you're not
careful, can pervade the whole game.</em></p></blockquote><p>So, there we got it on black and white: there will not be any groin shots in Fallout 3... there will, however, be weapon erosion but that is serious.</p><p><strong><u>Update:</u></strong> It seems that a <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 3&skip=yes" target="_self">small article on PC Zone</a> was the source for the quote. Thanks to <strong>Killzig </strong>and <strong>Briosafreak</strong>.
</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/death/vide ... aku</a></p>
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Any serious ticket bots. And serious British accent Mr Handy. And serious "violence done right is fucking funny." And serious "nice hat, Calamity Jane."

Yeah

DEAD SERIOUS.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

What he's trying to say is that the company is afraid to put sex in the game because they'll get yelled at by all the parents of the 14 year olds that buy the game. I don't know anyone (12 year lods included) that would really find a VD in a videogame that funny. and again it depends on the implementation. If the game treats it like " You got CRABS, LOL!" then it's cheesy middleschool shit. If the way it feels to have the disease is portrayed accurately and unnexaggerated, then it becomes a sort of poison or something that affects the player's stats. Sure you might get a quick chuckle that your character has a VD but what harm does that do? All it does is add another danger to wastelasnd life, another facet of the game that helps the believability of the the world that much more.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Emil has syphillis endstadium

Seriously

fake edit: that reminds me of the talk between ze dweller and Phyllis the nurse in the Vault City Vault, something like, "If I wanted to tell you my name, I'd shout it at you, Syphillis or whatever your name is"
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Wasteland had VD.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Brother None wrote:British accent Mr Handy.
How did a robot with a British accent end up in Washington? Why would Vault-Tec, a presumably American company, manufacture a robot with a British accent?! Dead serious, indeed.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Bethesda's Fallout 3 reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed.

���������
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I still think blinding someone gives rise to lots of tactical possibilities and nice variation in combat. Some weapons would gib them, but, say in melee combat, a lunge for the eyes wouldn't make the head all explodered.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

Its disturbing that they lack the ability to see all the sily little tings in the original Fallout games and put all of it into one big picture, and THEN realize that it wasnt the groin shots alone, or the killing of children alone, or any of the odd querks that featured in Fallout was what made the game great!

ALL OF THEM, in the right amount, came together in unity and made a holy grail!

Bethesda completely lack that ability to grasp that!
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Dreadnought wrote:Image
���������
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That's actually a pretty cool car. :rolleyes:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Mr. Teatime wrote:I still think blinding someone gives rise to lots of tactical possibilities and nice variation in combat. Some weapons would gib them, but, say in melee combat, a lunge for the eyes wouldn't make the head all explodered.
you're also not even touching on the possibility that your target could be wearing some sort of helmet where the only place to "gib" them would be to get a good shot in the eye. Groin could easily be used to cause enemy to stagger, drop a weapon, or drop to the ground momentarily. There's really no good reason not to have them beyond their rabid desire to cut corners where they can. It's the same as them not allowing you to customize your weapons.

Oh look, you have to carry around 5 identical rifles to use to keep your "in-use" rifle in tip top shape. It's like another layer of ammo refilling. But , no, you can't customize your gun. You can't add a scope, or a muffler for some stealthy sniping, you can't find some sort of trigger mechanism on another gun to add a full auto fire mode or anything of the sort. Sounds like this would be more fun/useful/appropriate in a PA world than making a one time use lunchbox bomb or finding a giant nuclear catapult that's only really practical for the scripted miniboss fight in Gears of War.

Could the game still be fun? Yeah. But they sound fucking ridiculous when they keep harping on "not cheesing it up" and then go on a few paragraphs later to mention something about an eyeball rolling down the street lawlalwal or calling the sheriff a "dick" hahaha edgy. :drunk:

PS - I submitted this with a better headline: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18370

and Briosa has found the source of the quote:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 3&skip=yes
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Killzig wrote:PS - I submitted this with a better headline: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18370
Asinine Sound Byte c/o Pags
Haha. Well, I did not see that, sorry. I consider most of his sound bytes asinine, though... so it becomes sort of redundant, actually.
and Briosa has found the source of the quote:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 3&skip=yes
Thanks, I have updated the news item with proper links and credits.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Sounds good. Fallout 2 went too far with bad humour and suffered as a result.

Groin shots.. Hell, it's just a personal choice. I see no great humour in it, I just liked the freedom of shooting someone where I want to. I recall an event in Junktown involving waking up at the Crash House to find a gang member had taken a prostitute named.. Cynthia(?) hostage. If you talk to him, anger him, end up fighting, it's satisfying to shoot him in the crotch.

All the same, it doesn't really have much value, and is a lot harder to implement into Fallout 3 that it would have been for the originals. Plus they seem to have an emphasis on targetted shots causing critical damage in the form of dismemberment, and short of becoming pointlessly obscene, in detail, you can't easily simulate a gore/dismemberment crotch-shot.

What would you ask for..?

"For the love of God, and All that is Holy... MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!!! O.O"

Edit: Eyeshots however are a bad omission, particularly in a game with mutants of that size.. Fighting such a creature with, say, a BB gun, would be ridiculous.. But if you blinded it you'd have a good chance of escape. Headshots and eyeshots in the context of low-power weapon + huge, sturdy enemy are two very different things, removing the excuse of 'If the head explodes, what's the difference?'.
How did a robot with a British accent end up in Washington? Why would Vault-Tec, a presumably American company, manufacture a robot with a British accent?! Dead serious, indeed.
- American stereotype for English butlers. Take Alfred from Batman as an example.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Dreadnought wrote:Bethesda's Fallout 3 reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed.

qfe, totally :che:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

yay! Susan's back!

Just remember, kids: "The internets is serious bizness" - and so are crappy Bethesda rip-offs.

I for one am drooling over RE5
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Dreadnought wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:Image

!
���������
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Dreadnought wrote:Bethesda's Fallout 3 reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed.

best comment on Fo3 I've read in a good while :yes:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'd say it applies, but I actually kinda like that car.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

I saw big sections of texts and scrolled down till it talks about homers car again :drunk:
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Our Host!