Few words (not) about Fallout 3 from Tim Cain

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Few words (not) about Fallout 3 from Tim Cain

Post by JHMN »

<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=12">Top Story: Fallout 3 news</a> | More info on <a href="#Tim Cain">Person: Tim Cain</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Here's what Tim said asked for comments on F3:</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>Hey Brendon, I'm not commenting on the Fallout 3 game. Since it's been almost ten years since I worked on the original games, I am not sure I am even in a position to accurately review it. Besides, the end of Troika marked the end of my public career. I will still make games, but I will let other people market, demo and otherwise shout their goodness into the airwaves.</em></p></blockquote><blockquote><p><em>Rest assured that I plan to play Fallout 3 when it comes out. I am as expectant as any fan, but I am going to reserve comment and judgment until I can play the finished game.</em></p></blockquote><p>In the opinion of <a href="http://www.gamernode.com/News/3420-Tim- ... index.html" target="_blank">GamerNode</a>, it would be better to wait until the release of the game so as to be able to express judgements about it as a whole, like Cain suggests.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Maximous
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Maximous »

Right...lets all go out and buy it...then review it amongst ourselves....highly unlikely for myself.

http://www.ausgamedev.com/index.html
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

As GamerNode points out, maybe it would be better to wait until the release of the game to express any judgements, just as Cain.
Fantastic. Who is this SDF now? Teatime's younger brother? His buttbuddy? You grab random people now and give them newsposter status? Good fucking going, DACK.
Serious Business.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Yes, because everyone knows the most useful time to criticise a game is after release.

Who hired this guy, Teaspoon?
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

He's a guy from Polish DAC that also started to post news in the English section recently.
Mutateman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mutateman »

I'll reserve judgment on the game until my brother plays it. If he likes it, then I will know it's crap.

Seriously, though, it may be a good (or even great) action game (and if it is, I may purchase a used copy of it, a couple of years from now), but it seems pretty clear to me that it's about as far as you can get from a Fallout game without turning it into Hexen.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Brother None wrote:Yes, because everyone knows the most useful time to criticise a game is after release.

I needed newsposting help since I'm going to be pretty much MIA for the next few weeks as I move to Taiwan, and he volunteered to post English news as well as his normal Polish news.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

I think it is normal in the game industry to be polite and NOT comment on other developer's work in progress. And maybe Tim Cain also has career in gaming to think of not ruining??
please support http://www.gamerdad.com - the
voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

support democracry - please visit
http://www.whydemocracy.net/home
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Maybe. But when you read what he says you can kind of tell he's unhappy with what they're doing when he says this,
... but I am going to reserve comment and judgment until I can play the finished game.
You can see that he probably doesn't like what they're doing with it right now, but won't directly say it until he can verify that the game, and what they're doing to it, sucks.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

i`ll make a mod for Fallout 3. :dance: and everything is gonna be good again. lots of UZIs, prostitutes and other good stuff.

(TESA TRAILER IN 492 DAYS!! webside under produktion.)
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Koki wrote:
As GamerNode points out, maybe it would be better to wait until the release of the game to express any judgements, just as Cain.
Fantastic. Who is this SDF now? Teatime's younger brother? His buttbuddy? You grab random people now and give them newsposter status? Good fucking going, DACK.
King of Creation wrote:
Brother None wrote:Yes, because everyone knows the most useful time to criticise a game is after release.

I needed newsposting help since I'm going to be pretty much MIA for the next few weeks as I move to Taiwan, and he volunteered to post English news as well as his normal Polish news.

Hell, just make Ausir or koki or susan newsposters, hell make me a newsposter again even.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Where's Tim working anyway?

Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

PsychoSniper2 wrote: Hell, just make Ausir or koki or susan newsposters, hell make me a newsposter again even.
I am an admin, I can post news, I'm just too lazy.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

just make me admin ffs >:(
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by JHMN »

Sorry for trying to be too objective, I've done it since I was criticised for being too biased on DAC PL. I promise to choose words better and more appropriately in the future. What was really meant is not that it paying/buying the game is necessary to have a right to assess it but to wait for the end of the works on it so as to have a possibility to take a looke at a finished product (who knows, maybe there will be a demo this time). Besides, Cain's words can be also considered as a veiled criticism, like he is not saying a word not because he works for another company but because it's not worth commenting.
war, war never changes...
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Haha. Great choice for an English news poster, KOC.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Like someone already said, Tim was probably just being professional... he probably wouldn't want someone commenting on his unfinished work, though it is apparent that it is a failure.

However, it would be nice if developers were a bit more open to community input when they take on a long standing license with a loyal fan base. Like Blizzard is doing with SC2.
Why do you paste this everywhere!? Signature phantom sensations...
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

JHMN: this might be a shocker, but...you don't have to post your personal feelings in the newspost. You could stick to just posting news.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Where's Tim working anyway?
NCSoft.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

^__^ Frackin' Koreans are eating up all the good developers...and turning them into anime.

Developers should be professional. We can be assholes. Though some days I kind of wish the games industry had the whole East Coast/West Coast black gang feud thing going, complete with nightclub shootings and source code sabotage.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Ausir wrote:
PsychoSniper2 wrote: Hell, just make Ausir or koki or susan newsposters, hell make me a newsposter again even.
I am an admin, I can post news, I'm just too lazy.

Meh, maek me a newsposter again.

I make no claim of objectivity, but Ill try HARD to keep goatse out of the newspost (off of the front page at least, assuming the submissions work like they did last time I had access ....... )
Our Host!