IGN's E3 Fallout 3 Impressions

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

IGN's E3 Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p><a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/803/803937p1.html" target="_self">IGN </a>has posted their impressions of what they saw of Fallout 3 at E3. Highlights:</p><blockquote><p><em>The demo hadn't changed and neither has our high impressions of the
work that Bethesda was putting into reviving the Fallout franchise.</em></p><p><em>...</em></p><p><em>Having seen it once before, we were impressed this time with some of
the details we missed the first time around. To begin with, the faces
look much more realistic and varied. Where the faces in Oblivion
sometimes looked a bit mushed and repetitive, those in Fallout 3 have
much more lifelike detail.</em></p><p><em>...</em></p><p><em>we learned a bit more about the Tunnel Snakes, the gang of bullies who
inhabit the Vault, and the object of their attention, the young girl
with whom you've had a lifelong friendship. We won't spoil the details
of the story, but the connections definitely add some weight to the
story.</em></p><p><em>...</em></p><p><em>The final chapters of the demo, as the character joins up with Sentinel
Lyons' platoon and meets Mr. Burke atop the Galaxy News Building played
out exactly as they had during our previous viewing but they were no
less dramatic or thrilling even though we knew what to expect.</em></p></blockquote><p>Read the whole thing <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/803/803937p1.html" target="_self">here</a>.
</p>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So E3 is underway? :out of the loop:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

A lifelong relationship with a girl which is gonna be part of the story? Sounds like a bullshit story to me. Add to that that you're also looking after your father... wow. ORIGINUL.

They could also make it so your character has forgotten who he is, and then add lightsabers.

Also what's up with joining the BOS so early? I hope the demo's story isn't actually part of the final product. The Fallout 1 demo did a good job with that. Even if you had played the full game and finished it, you'd still enjoy the demo.
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

S4ur0n27 wrote:A lifelong relationship with a girl which is gonna be part of the story?
I wonder how will that turn out if your character is female.

EDIT: typo
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

So does this mean you're limited to play as either a guy or a dike?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

maybe the dudes are after you if you're a chic :persecution:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Maybe they just reverse the gender if you play a g-who am I kidding? You're stuck playing a guy.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

edhead wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:A lifelong relationship with a girl which is gonna be part of the story?

EDIT: typo
It would probably just turn into a guy. Most likely you will have a guy and a girl friend and depending on your gender they will flip flop between your love interest. I can't believe there is going to be a love interest in fallout.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

it sounds like its sort of forced on you, and thats pretty dumb. fallout was nice because you were sent out of your home with an assignment, but that was it, there were no stupid ties to your character that were out of the players control.

what if my i want to play a character who has not had a lifelong friendship with this girl? too bad
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Really I don't see what the big deal is with having the character have a friend in the events before the game. They did it in the first game to some degree with the other Vault citizens you meet the first time you go back, and to a greater degree in Fallout 2 with all of the pre-established relationships with various family members in Arroyo.

The question we should be asking is not, "Do we really have to associate with this person?" but, "Will we have the option to completely reject that relationship if we choose to and treat her however we wish?"

The answers to both of these, respectively, are "Yes," and "Of course not. Youz guys need girlfriends."
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

senisterdenister wrote:So does this mean you're limited to play as either a guy or a dike?
No, I'm sure there'll be choices and consequences in the character creation process. In addition, you can dye your hair in 27 different colors.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

the modoc gf was kinda cute
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

I'm not reading this thread 'coz it's full of story/setting spoilers D:
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Hey KoC there are a lot more previews now, check my blog.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Briosafreak wrote:Hey KoC there are a lot more previews now, check my blog.
No, check NMA!
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

And the Bethesda Blog!
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

And DaC!

...oh wait
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

edhead wrote:
:hot:

Nice blog, briosa.
Branching dialogue tree, different choices/chances of success based on charisma and speaking skill.
Poor INT will NOT affect your dialogue choices.
Damn. At least they've got something affecting it.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

So my face looks exactly like Mech's avatar right now.

God damn you Bethesda. I honestly feel the exact same way as I did when someone forced me to watch the 40 MINUTE AMAZING RADIANT AI OBLIVION GAMEPLAY VIDEO before TES4: Obliterate your own franchise came out.

You remember it? The one where they very obviously scriped a lady to do three or four tasks in her house, drink a potion, then kill her pet with fire inside her home for making noise?

The one that exemplified the fact that Oblivion was not only going to be trash, but that they couldn't even (however hard they tried, must have took hours to script that shitty video with a special NPC they had to make for it) cheat their way into making it look good!

So why do I feel like that now? Because you are going to be forced into a shitty linear plotline which because unlike Fallout you can't choose to take your violent revenge on the people who spawned you (they are invincible) you get to follow the bouncing ball through three or four Stalker-eque linear half an hour long/large areas, eventually get bored and attack an npc, realize they won't die then stop playing. That is, unless you really, really wanted to play motherfucking Red Steel (the most terrible gimick FPS in history, aside from Oblivion and now FanOust3) again, with shitty fucking fable-style character creation, lockpicking minigames where pushing a pin in the wrong sequence causes your metal lockpick to shatter , and insulting people with a motherfucking pie chart is the only way to get them to like you.

Fuck.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Briosafreak wrote:Hey KoC there are a lot more previews now, check my blog.
Yeah, sorry...I've been away most of the day, and it's late now so I'll post them in the morning.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Our Host!