Joystiq's E3 impressions

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Joystiq's E3 impressions

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong>

<p>Read 'em <a target="_self" href="http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/11/joyst ... /">here</a>. Not much new stuff, but here's what there is:</p><p> </p><blockquote><ul><li><em>The two-headed Brahmins make a return, and Pete Hines told us after the demo that Rad Scorpions are also coming back.</em></li><li><em>The toughest weapon in the game will likely be the Fat Man, a portable launcher that lobs nuclear grenades.</em></li><li><em>We've seen Super Mutants; as to the existence of the more folky mutants from previous games, Hines would not comment.</em></li><li><em>Random encounters are making a return, but Bethesda isn't ready to say how.</em></li><li><em>Action
points, used for the turn-based combat mode V.A.T.S., are being
designed to regenerate fast enough so that gamers can use it almost
exclusively for fighting.</em></li><li><em>Speech options and convincing utilizing the Speech are still there, noted by the [ Speech 29% ] tag besides a talking option.</em></li><li><em>Computer
security will be done via a game best described as akin to Mastermind,
where you have a list of words (embedded amongst gibberish "code") and
you will be told how many letters you have right.
</em></li><li><em>"We
spent what I refer to as an obscene amount of time on [the PIP boy menu
screen]." said Howard. More pixel shaders used on it than all of Oblivion, apparently.</em></li><li><em>You can zoom the third-person view out to give it the camera view akin to the previous Fallout title.</em></li></ul></blockquote>Ok, so if this is true, and it's not just a gimmick, using VATS exclusively is a good sign (but again - could be an unpractical option like the isometric view sounds to be). Though as I understand it, AP recharge is based on agility, which could mean that if you want to play in a more TB mode, you have to build your character a certain way, which - well, doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.<p> </p><p> </p><p> And minigames are good, in my opinion - makes lockpicking or whatever more interesting, as long as they're relevant and not totally left-field (eg. the persuasion one in Oblivion).</p><p>Most powerful weapon in the game makes me cautious - in FO1/2, this depended on where your skills were, availabiulity of ammo, and so on. Though I imagine this will be true here, or else they wouldn't have seperate gun skills.
</p><p> </p><p>Anyway, I realise I'm pretty much the sole Fallout fan who's reasonably optimistic about the game, with the thought of what FOBOS was in the back of my mind and seeing that this clearly ain't it, but there is stuff to be positive about, if you look. 'Course, there's the negative stuff too, but I figure as a fanbase, we've got that covered. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

It's not a "TB mode", just RTwP. Don't buy the hype.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Ausir wrote:It's not a "TB mode", just RTwP. Don't buy the hype.
yeah, true enough.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

What happened to our beloved cynical and mean Teat :(
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Like I said, I can be cynical, I just think the fanbase has got that covered. As a fantastically awesome games journalist, I feel it my solemn duty to offer differing viewpoints for your discussion and deliberation.

you dig?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I rather have no minigames for lockpicking and speech than have the shit they had in oblivion, damn was it silly. I just liked pressing "3" and then clicking a door or whatever, like in FO.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Mr. Teatime wrote:you dig?
How much did Pete pay you ?
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

okay okay okay, i`m gonna buy it, now leave me alone, enough spoilers already. :gnasher:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

when was teat ever cynical?

and yeah, I'm actually expecting an improvement on Oblivion. Have been since omg full dialog trees. :dance:

I'm still calling it BethOut though.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

ugh. changed my mind. i refuse to buy it, after seeing those pictures:

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/bethesda-e3-2007-party/
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

man, maybe they don't have hookers and blow at these dev parties :?
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Like I said before the minigames just sound booring I also just prefer pressing the lockpick over and over again. I wonder when we'll see the demo footage?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

action trip says new screens and videos tomorrow.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

DaC-Sniper wrote:ugh. changed my mind. i refuse to buy it, after seeing those pictures:

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/bethesda-e3-2007-party/
:aiee:
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Killzig wrote:man, maybe they don't have hookers and blow at these dev parties :?
If by "hookers" you mean "middle-aged short men" and by "blow" you mean "gaming nerds in t-shirts" then Yes, yes they do.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Re: Joystiq's E3 impressions

Post by popscythe »

Action points, used for the turn-based combat mode V.A.T.S., are being designed to regenerate fast enough so that gamers can use it almost exclusively for fighting.

Oh great, bullet time that's really, really, really easy to whore to never get hit, ever so that just like the other TES games you don't need to actually use your statistics for combat, just some gimick, and hey! More Oblivion minigames that are vaguely related to the process at hand. (Hacking a computer by playing word find. Awesome.)

Sounds like Custer's Revenge.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: Joystiq's E3 impressions

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Teats wrote: And minigames are good, in my opinion - makes lockpicking or whatever more interesting, as long as they're relevant and not totally left-field (eg. the persuasion one in Oblivion).

Anyway, I realise I'm pretty much the sole Fallout fan who's reasonably optimistic about the game, with the thought of what FOBOS was in the back of my mind and seeing that this clearly ain't it, but there is stuff to be positive about, if you look. 'Course, there's the negative stuff too, but I figure as a fanbase, we've got that covered.

So you liek mini games AND your optimistic about the game ......... seriously teabag, how much is pete paying you ?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Heh, Teabags so vilified :revolution:
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Brother None wrote:Heh, Teabags so vilified :revolution:
Well he gets on me for trolling a few beth sites.... but kiss's their ass here...... ......

If teh shoe fits ..........
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Brother None wrote:Heh, Teabags so vilified :revolution:
Depends. If you count the babbling of a lone gun crazy who likes to call other peoples' opinions his own as vilification, then, yeah, I'm vilified. Otherwise, well, things are pretty good :)

PS. Psychosniper, the reason I'm thinking about banning you is not because you don't like Bethsoft, or jack off to guns. It's because you come across as a bit of a post-happy idiot, and those two in combination don't make a good result. If you stopped to think a bit before splurging yourself onto the keyboard, you might have less to rant to me about.
Our Host!