Eurogamer Interviews Emil and Kathode

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Eurogamer Interviews Emil and Kathode

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Emil Pagliarulo">Person: Emil Pagliarulo</a> | More info on <a href="#Gavin Carter">Person: Gavin Carter</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p><a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78871" target="_self">Eurogamer</a> has posted a very nice interview with <em>Fallout 3</em> Lead Designer <strong>Emil Pagliarulo</strong> and Lead Producer <strong>Gavin Carter</strong>. Highlights:</p><p>On moral ambiguity: </p><blockquote><p><em><span class="whoistalking">Eurogamer</span>:
What about the moral dimension of Looking Glass games? Does that permeate into the Fallout development?</em></p><p><em><span class="whoistalking">Emil Pagliarulo</span>: It does. One of the
mantras of the Thief games is a big grey area. Garrett is the ultimate
anti-hero. That's really important you know. If you want to play like
that, we want to support that. As Todd [Howard, executive producer]
mentioned, we originally started supporting good, and supporting evil,
and we realised how important neutral was, and how viable of a gameplay
path it is, and how many great games like the original Thief supported
that. That's really important to me.</em></p></blockquote><p>On differences with Oblivion:</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="whoistalking">Gavin Carter</span>: I feel like when people
see it's first-person they're going to say, "Oh, there's Oblivion. It's
Oblivion with guns." But honestly there's not a single thing we didn't
look at and think, how are we going to do this for Fallout? We stripped
out our entire character system. It's all Fallout now, with specials
and experience, it's not skill based. The whole questing system is
Fallout. There are different paths to all the quests, you can lock
yourself out of quests. It's not like Oblivion where you can say, "I've
just started in the Fighter's Guild, but I'm the Grey Fox." There's
nothing in the game that we haven't looked at as its own thing.</em></p></blockquote><p>On the setting:</p><blockquote><em><span class="whoistalking">Emil Pagliarulo</span>: It's funny. Setting
it in DC - it meant we knew what we needed to do. Originally we had it
set on the West coast, but it just didn't work. Eventually I said,
"Write what you know." So we have a location that doesn't appear all
over the place in videogames. It's such a great place for a game. As
for the story, I really like stories that are character-based, so how
do those characters change throughout the game? So take the
relationship with "my" father. He's my moral compass, a good guy, a
noble character, so if I'm an evil bastard how does he react to me? If
I blow up a town, what does he think?</em></blockquote><p> </p><p>On gameplay flexibility:</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="whoistalking">Gavin Carter</span>:
There's a <em>lot more</em>
handling! We spend a lot of time talking about, "What if the player
doesn't go where we want them? What if they stumble on this spot that
we wanted for the end-game?" We have to handle that. We don't want to
just lock them out and say, "You have to go down this path, that's the
only way." We have to handle everything the player's going to do. We're
experienced with that because we do it in Oblivion. But it doesn't have
quite the same - well, it doesn't affect the game in the same way. A
lot of our time has been spent planning for every single contingency
that could possibly happen.</em></p></blockquote><p>On people like Jack Thompson: </p><blockquote><em><span class="whoistalking">Gavin Carter</span>: It's something I don't
really worry about that much. It's probably going to be a Mature game,
I don't see how it could possibly not be. It's not something where
we're saying, "Let's go through the requirements for Mature and make
sure we check all these boxes." It's nothing that we worry about. There
is something we worry about regarding kids [The game features children,
and it features guns, and it lets you make your choices. Whether they
let you kill children is a decision they haven't made], and we could
run into all sorts of problems there. It's something we need to think
about, and find out, what's a good balance respecting what the game's
about, and respecting the reality of the world today.</em></blockquote><p> </p><p>Read the whole thing <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78871" target="_self">here</a>. </p><p>PS. Sorry for the lack of posts the past few days. I was on a mini vacation in NYC. </p>
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Don't skip the juicy bits!

Eurogamer: With a background developing the Elder Scrolls games, but taking on an Interplay title, which legacy do you think Fallout 3 follows?

Emil Pagliarulo: Me personally, I really feel like we're making a game in the legacy of the Fallout games. It's so different than working with the Elder Scrolls stuff. It's first-person, and that's it. Actually it's interesting for me - it harkens back for me to some of the most enjoyable first-person games I've ever played, the Terminator games Bethesda made. Fallout 3 is Bethesda's triumphant return to gunplay games, after swords and sorcery for so long. For me it's about bringing back /that/ legacy.

Gavin Carter: I feel like when people see it's first-person they're going to say, "Oh, there's Oblivion. It's Oblivion with guns." But honestly there's not a single thing we didn't look at and think, how are we going to do this for Fallout? We stripped out our entire character system. It's all Fallout now, with specials and experience, it's not skill based. The whole questing system is Fallout. There are different paths to all the quests, you can lock yourself out of quests. It's not like Oblivion where you can say, "I've just started in the Fighter's Guild, but I'm the Grey Fox." There's nothing in the game that we haven't looked at as its own thing.

Eurogamer: Do you feel like you owe Interplay anything?

Emil Pagliarulo: You can't. You can't proceed feeling that way. It's like, you also can't proceed feeling like you owe the fans of Fallout anything, you can't feel bad that you're not making a turn-based isometric game. When I first started I think did feel like that, and there was a period of coming to terms with it, and just saying, "I'm going to make the best game I can make, it is what it is, and we have the skills to make an excellent game, so that's what we're going to do."

Gavin Carter: Each of the older games had a different team on it. Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 had many different people working on them. We have a great deal of respect for those guys, but what we don't want to do is open up our entire design to someone outside the company who doesn't really get the culture here. For better or worse it's been ten years since the last game came out. We're very strict on authorial control. We don't want to bring someone in from outside and then only implement their ideas in a half-assed way. We have a vision for the game and we're taking it all the way through.
And don't forget the Washington Post, unless you want to, y'know, not offend Bethesda's sensibilities or something
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Brother None wrote:Don't skip the juicy bits!

Eurogamer: With a background developing the Elder Scrolls games, but taking on an Interplay title, which legacy do you think Fallout 3 follows?

Emil Pagliarulo:it harkens back for me to some of the most enjoyable first-person games I've ever played, the Terminator games Bethesda made. For me it's about bringing back /that/ legacy.

Fan fucking tastic.

Emil has just proven himself to be a fucking moron, but then he DOES work at bethesda.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

But honestly there's not a single thing we didn't look at and think, how are we going to do this for Fallout?
Except the view point, that they didn't look at and go "How can we make this fallout."
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Read what the man wrote

Emil:

the most enjoyable first-person games I've ever played, the Terminator games Bethesda made. For me it's about bringing back /that/ legacy.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

That reminds me, when did they have Terminator games? I honestly do not remember them having Terminator games.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Were they they ghey robocop Vs Terminator games on SNES ?

I remember renting those once, Ugggh.

After the first level or so as robocop, it got VERY repetetive (Like many old sidescroll shooters)
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:Read what the man wrote

Emil:

the most enjoyable first-person games I've ever played, the Terminator games Bethesda made. For me it's about bringing back /that/ legacy.
now that's some quality whoring.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Indeed

Fallorc3: Vault Dweller Vs Terminator ?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

BethOut ||o/ : Supermutant Shocker

(||o/ that 3 isn't giving you a hi-five. he's giving you a pinky in the ass).
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

On gameplay flexibility:

Gavin Carter: There's a lot more handling! We spend a lot of time talking about, "What if the player doesn't go where we want them? What if they stumble on this spot that we wanted for the end-game?" We have to handle that. We don't want to just lock them out and say, "You have to go down this path, that's the only way." We have to handle everything the player's going to do. We're experienced with that because we do it in Oblivion. But it doesn't have quite the same - well, it doesn't affect the game in the same way. A lot of our time has been spent planning for every single contingency that could possibly happen.
They just add a handy dandy quest compass so the average console fanboi wont bother going elsewere.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Wolfman Walt wrote:That reminds me, when did they have Terminator games? I honestly do not remember them having Terminator games.
They did four. 2029, Rampage, Future Shock and Skynet. In 1992, 1993, 1995 and 1996, respectively. Future Shock was probably the most successful and, surprise surprise, the first game Todd Howard worked on in his gaming career, as producer and doing additional design. You always know what kind of guy you have when his first job is producing, not designing.

Future Shock also had great innovations, like this: "The game requires you to look that the compass in the interface, to make sure you are going the right way." :aiee:

:revolution:
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Yeah, Todd isnt exactly the best at anything.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:Yeah, Todd isnt exactly the best at anything.
I disagree. I think we should sign Todd up for a Roadhouse-Recreation-Society. Then people of average height or above can walk up to him and say "I thought you'd be bigger"

we can do this once every year to celebrate the theatrical release of that Patrick Swayze classic maybe even recreate some of the gun battles. :dance:
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Can we send em to the hospital like Swayze in roadhouse (but for a longer stay) ?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Doesn't Swayze come back to cut off the dude's balls or something?
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Well, yeah, but Todd doesnt have a script writer for his real life.

And I imagine most of us would have some kinda shank or blackjack.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Brother None wrote:And don't forget the Washington Post, unless you want to, y'know, not offend Bethesda's sensibilities or something
Still nobody posting on this?

Are you guys extremely lazy or in Bethesda's pocket? :? Even RPGWatch and Gamebanshee and Blue's News beat you to it, by now.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

:chew: Washington Post is the last tool of communist infiltrators in the US. We won't parrot the lies they speak about marketing. :chew:
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Brother None wrote:Are you guys extremely lazy or in Bethesda's pocket? :?
We are lazy in their money filled pockets, using it as a bed.
Our Host!