FOT 2 story idea *FOT spoilers*

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Slashco
SDF!
SDF!

FOT 2 story idea *FOT spoilers*

Post by Slashco »

Well, after seeing the endings for FOT (very nice, btw), I thought a sequel could certainly be possible. How about this, for the Barnaky ending:

Following the merging of general Barnaky's essence with the Calculator, a golden age of progress and technology dawns for the new Brotherhood of Steel and its human proteges. However, non-human races are mercilessly hunted and persecuted. Those who survive live out their days in labor camps or research labs.

You are part of a motley band of super-mutants, ghouls, deathclaws and renegade humans who have put aside their differences in order to fight for their very survival and a right to freedom. Fleeing familiar territories, you must travel on into the unknown, into the wasteland. Aside from the merciless Brotherhood patrols on your heels, you will have to face the denizens of the deep wastes, old and powerful mutated creatures, twisted cults and pre-war technological abominations who have reigned in these parts undisturbed and unchallenged. And the further you draw west, the closer you come to the lands of the old Brotherhood...

The game could feature many factions which ally or fight amongst themselves, and different storylines depending with whom you ally.

What do y'all think?
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

Well that wasn't the ending that i got cuz i just loved blowing away that racist jackass. So basically i think that the next installment of FOT should be with the New BOS fighting the Old BOS.
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

How about the opening shows scenes from FOT, then a sweat-stained general wakes up, says "My, what a strange dream, glad that never happened", and gives your character assignments to help drive off the [insert threat here] back in good ol' California.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

New BOS v Old BOS? No no no, I say the other way around, then we have possible all 3 PAs
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

IDK, Maybe it could have an RPG twist where like the Old BOS general offers you to join him, and if you do your squad dies, but you get to pick from the Old BOS Recruit pool. I would also want them to bring back the upgrades for weapons. MMMM Scoped M2 Browning
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

That sounds like a good idea Slashco, how did you get Barnaky to merge with the calculator? I never found out how. If your idea somehow got made then I'd be a deathclaw (Great creatures they are).
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

You gotta carry the Locket of Barnkey's Wife and i also had the letter too. Then he goes neutral. But last time I played in the massive fire fight, since he was already a threat, and i guess a gauss rifle shot hit him after he became neutral, i still had to gun him down. IDK, I never liked the ending in which Barnkey joined with the calculator, too much like Nazi run Germany.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Yeah, I did that and he just stands there near the calculator and does nothing except talk to himself.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

IIRC you have to talk to him after you talk to The Calculator the first time (the one where she/it asks you to reconsider blowing her/its ass up).
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Well, if we're gonna speculate about FoT2(less than 5% happening btw), I always wanted to see the actual war of the Pre-Fallout world. And the original PA.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:Well, if we're gonna speculate about FoT2(less than 5% happening btw), I always wanted to see the actual war of the Pre-Fallout world. And the original PA.
Personally I'd like to see one of the following for FoT2:
  • The Eastern BoS shows up and "reckons" w/the Western BoS.
  • The BoS takes on the Master's Army in the wake of FO.
That last one would make a good idea for a SP campaign. Since we have Spray the items wouldn't be a problem. (I know I've said this before, but I think it's a good idea I wish someone would pursue.)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I noted that. Just be sure to not be very surprised if you ever see it happening.
jvn3t
SDF!
SDF!

Post by jvn3t »

If they make another FoT, I want it to be a different story and scenario, not having to do with the BoS. Maybe they could central it around a group from a caravan or mercenary company, and have it go on from there.

And no damn robots.
Prepare to shit the enemy!
Beef
Respected
Respected

Post by Beef »

I find that if you actually look at how the title for FoT is set out, it goes like this:
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Now not only does this suggest for me that they may have been planning for this not to be the only title in this series, but also that they will move away from the brotherhood in the second game (if it ever happens).
If they make another FoT, I want it to be a different story and scenario, not having to do with the BoS. Maybe they could central it around a group from a caravan or mercenary company, and have it go on from there.
This is a good point. I can picture something like:
Fallout Tactics: Californian Freedom Fighters

This game may endure something along the lines of a new fighting style, incorporating street-fights and more civilisation to correspond with. It would be a lot more challenging to operate within a smaller group of people with limited funds and an unproffesional air about them - the perfect forumla for a sequel, I find.
The Eastern BoS shows up and "reckons" w/the Western BoS.
This is just dumb :x . It would be pointless to press any further on the trend of BoS genre games. I feel it would be more suitable if an entirely new tactical scheme were set up for the next game, let's face it; any tactics count as tactics, even if it involved headbutting someone in the face, so long as it has been planned and thought through, which is why a group of more colourful characters seems more than necessary for the next game.

Anyway, I found FoT to be too dissimilar to the original Fallout trend, even if it was supposed to be a separate project. It holds the Fallout tag, and should therefore be more inkeeping with the more realistic kind of atmosphere created by the first two games - how often do you see post apocalyptic robots roaming around everywhere? You don't. Robots didn't exist before the war, why should they exist after the war - when resources were even more scarce and the whole world is in dissaray. Who would build robots?
And no damn robots.
Well said. :D
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Beef wrote:This is a good point. I can picture something like:
Fallout Tactics: Californian Freedom Fighters
I think it should put a little more focus on the Canadian forces this time.
Fallout Tactics: Canadian Freedom Fighters :P
Not really being serious but I like seeing Canadians in games...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Beef wrote:This is just dumb :x .
Beef wrote:It would be pointless to press any further on the trend of BoS genre games. I feel it would be more suitable if an entirely new tactical scheme were set up for the next game, let's face it; any tactics count as tactics, even if it involved headbutting someone in the face, so long as it has been planned and thought through, which is why a group of more colourful characters seems more than necessary for the next game.
Headbutting isn't a tactic. Headbutting is a type of attack. Tactics have to do w/how you implement the means at your disposal in the short run, as opposed to Strategy which deals w/the long run.

If you're looking for "colorful characters" you don't need a host of special rules for them. The NPCs of both FO RPGs were as colorful as they come, and yet none of them included special attack forms. They'd probably be better served putting more things like combat taunts for recruits in, since these helped a great deal in making the NPCs what they were.
Beef wrote:Anyway, I found FoT to be too dissimilar to the original Fallout trend, even if it was supposed to be a separate project. It holds the Fallout tag, and should therefore be more inkeeping with the more realistic kind of atmosphere created by the first two games - how often do you see post apocalyptic robots roaming around everywhere? You don't. Robots didn't exist before the war, why should they exist after the war - when resources were even more scarce and the whole world is in dissaray. Who would build robots?
While there were stylistic differences that I didn't care for, e.g. the fact that the BoS had to have its own version of Leather Armor that didn't look very much like it did in FO, not to mention the various versions of PA, along w/some plot inconsistencies, the robot menace theme is more in keeping w/the spirit of FO than one might think at first glance.

First off, the final enemy in Wasteland - which, as we all know is the spiritual forebear of the FO universe - was a host of robots that set out to purge the PA world of anything "Unamerican", which pretty much meant anything that moved in the wasteland. Doesn't this sound pretty much like the robotic enemy in FoT, if we substitute "mutation" for "Unamerican"?

Secondly, there were robots around prior to 2077. Where do you think all of those Brainbots, Security Bots, Floating Eyes, etc. came from? Places like Sierra Army Depot were heavily involved in the manufacture of said Brainbots using organs extracted from common criminals, deserters, etc.

Now, on to other things. I actually like the idea of working for a non-BoS organization, but I see a pitfall w/it: What exactly are you supposed to do for the entire game? If you are working for a caravan company what exactly would you do for 20 or so missions? ("Oh boy guys, here we go again on the Shady Sands run from the Hub with a stop off at Junktown...I...I...I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! FUCK THIS SHIT!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!) If your organization isn't very high-tech they won't be able to support you for very long as you get into the higher levels - hell, even the mid-levels - of a campaign. They would, in effect, be even more worthless than the BoS Quarter Master was in FoT, especially given the fact that most people tend to stick to the recruits/followers that they pick fairly early on in the game in order to have the squad/party develop in the fashion that they want it to.

If there ever is a FoT2, there needs to be dialogue options. I think that this would open up the game into something other than a JA2 wannabe. Essentially, you could turn it into an RPG that just doesn't let you talk your way out of fighting in every situation like the RPGs are supposed to.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

Accually while mowing the lawn, i got this idea. They implement each ending as a campaings. So it would be easiest to hardest.
Trakocian
Respected
Respected

Post by Trakocian »

Despite some objections to the BOS east vs. west I have started writing a story about the reunion.
It focuses on a BoS engineer leading a squad. The east Brotherhood is actually forced into reuniting with its old comrades due to some Enclave tampering. Unfortunately certain setbacks (vertibirds, nuclear bombs) eventually leave the Engineer's squad completely isolated in California. Now the engineer must make a choice whether to follow orders to retreat or destroy the enemy that will eventually threaten the east Brotherhood itself.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
The bulk of the story is about the engineer trying to gather intelligence on how to kill the badguys without being seen and trying to keep your own squad in line, one who just might be a spy.
Then there is the ever threatening orders of your superiors who just might come after you.
Just a thought....
Windows XP:
Yet another example of how pussies get screwed.

One by one, the penguins steal my sanity

Duck and Cover - Where a thread full of idiots posting the same fucking smile over and over again is considered the cutting edge of hilarity.
Our Host!