Successor to Wasteland/Fallout in the works?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Successor to Wasteland/Fallout in the works?

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Brian Fargo">Person: Brian Fargo</a> | More info on <a href="#Wasteland">Game: Wasteland</a>

<p>1Up Managing Editor Garnett Lee dropped an interesting hint at the 80:50 mark <a target="_self" href="http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3149993">in a podcast</a> two weeks ago:</p><blockquote><p><em>I think we are going to see a spiritual successor to Fallout One and
Two from the guy who originally did Wasteland, and I'm just going to
leave it at that.</em></p></blockquote><p>As most of us know, <strong>Brian Fargo</strong> (the founder of Interplay and producer of <em>Wasteland</em>) now owns the rights to <em>Wasteland</em> with his company <a target="_self" href="http://www.inxile-entertainment.com/">InExile Entertainment</a>. Frankly, I'd love to see this happen. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

that's our best hope for a worthy sequel :salute:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Holy shit! Great news. If this gets confirmed, it would be very awesome.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Good. But wait. He did Wasteland? Thought he was only the producer.

And that Bard's Tale (not the one from 20 years ago) game sucked, right? Doesn't help much.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

It'll be like Bard's Tale with guns. :aiee:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Cthulhu wrote:Good. But wait. He did Wasteland? Thought he was only the producer.
Right. Which is why I wrote in the newspost that Fargo was "the founder of Interplay and producer of Wasteland."

As for Bard's Tale, I never actually played it.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Bard's Tale more or less required use of graph paper.

I gave up 1/2-2/3 of the way through.

But my party was sooper-high level and had shiny gear.

733t!
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i guess we need some hope to hold on to
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Our old buddy Brian Fargo, who used to be cool when he made The Bard's Tale and Wasteland long time ago when dinosaurs were still roaming the Earth, is now hiring some people to work on a Next-Gen Console Multiplayer Networked Game Project using Unreal engine. Yay!
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7029

This news is from 2005, maybe they canceled it, or it`s gonna be a Wasteland MMORPG D: I hope for the best, meh.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Next-Gen Console Multiplayer Networked Game Project using Unreal engine.

Wow.
maglalosus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by maglalosus »

A Wasteland successor - now THAT does sound interesting... hopefully they will show BS how its done!

Well my votes in for turn based, iso style view, a dog, a jumpsuit and a mauser.. haha
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Help us, Brian Fargo, you're our only hope.

Bard's Tale was fun but it was all hack-n-slash. It did have cool sprite graphics that I adore to this day, just like Wasteland.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

I remember him saying somewhere that Bard's Tale is going to be Action/RPG, while Wasteland 2 is going to be more of an oldschool RPG.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

two weeks ago
Serious Business.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Here is also some old news, yeah, there are like the name says, old.
Wasteland Ranger wrote:June 13, 2003: Brian Fargo and his new game company, inXile, acquire the rights to Wasteland with the United States Patent Office. Soon after, Mr. Fargo shows up at Snake Squeezins to ask for comments about the game from its loyal fans. He notes the reason he didn't get the rights sooner was that Electronic Arts was sitting on them. When they expired, Konami grabbed it for use with their Yu-Gi-Oh series, but they were kind enough to let him have the trademark back. And the new Wasteland will be "darker in nature than the first one," and touts that it will be "very much an old school RPG that uses the skill systems, open ended nature of design, and puts the player into a world that is not black and white but shades of grey." Soon after joining Squeezins, he bails out as others were cross-posting his posts to other forums, and I guess he didn't like that.
Jeah Brian Fargo is probably the only one, who could make something great, but making a game better than Fallout 1/2 is liek :future 2104: impossible
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

By the way, since Wasteland was made in the 80s, it had a very 80s style (especially in character portraits), so it would be great if they made it 80s retro-future. I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers :).
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

This is good news. Maybe we should focus our attention on this instead of Fo3?

On a side note, I've been trying to get Wasteland to work properly on my comp. for over a year now... is running it through DOSbox the only way?
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Ausir wrote:By the way, since Wasteland was made in the 80s, it had a very 80s style (especially in character portraits), so it would be great if they made it 80s retro-future. I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers :).
nah. make it Scarface meets 60`s Mafia, coke against alcohol, ja. And then tommy guns and 80`s suits versus mafia suits. No niggas, only latinos allowed. :drunk: Someone write him something, liek, hi yeah i am a big Fallout fan and Wasteland fan and shit, and do you work on a new part of the series and then run to the media(DaC) .
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Alexander wrote:This is good news. Maybe we should focus our attention on this instead of Fo3?
There is still very few to focus on?
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Do we have anything SOLID on this...official or un-official, but anything else than this.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Our Host!