Game Informer article revealed? RUMORS

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

maglalosus wrote:"Putting on our "What If?" caps, we can ask what would have happened if the original RPG creators had in their game design toolbox the resources of, say, a modern video game development studio replete with state-of-the-art technology and competent developers, including one very erudite and devilishly handsome programmer? With the ability to implement real-time combat, the desire to ground it in innovative tactical game design, and the computation power to tie everything together, would they have still used turn-based combat? Or real-time combat? Or something altogether different? What do you guys think?"
apparantly in 1997 they wanted fallout to be real-time but they just didnt have the programming skill to do that, so they were forced to go with turn based

yeah that sounds like it

yeah

thats it
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

So they're still dumb fucks, now we just have to discover how much they lied to game informer.

Personaly, it sounds mostly good, aside from the intro seeming like a gayed ripoff of oblivions intro, but worse and longer, and the VATS ? WTF, sounds like Craptics combat made worse.
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Hmm and double hmm. I hate pause-n-play combat more than straight out realtime, but bethsoft sound like they might be trying something new. Shame no TB, but... hm.

karma is the one thing i didn't like in FO1 and 2. Telling me what I did was good or bad took away the whole moral ambiguity thing.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Pleasing sounds, they do make.

Funny as fuck to watch you all getting excited, trying so hard to keep a hold of your cynical misery in the face of good news.
:evil_laugh:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Hey, I'm happy to admit some of this sounds good. But I'd like some clarity on the combat and viewpoint, and the skills have been reduced from 18 to 14.

Level cap is interesting, possibly hints at expansions which either is good coz we get more stuff, or bad because we get half a game in the first place. What sort of level did you get to in FO2? I can't remember (I know FO1 capped at 20)
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

And IF it's how this guy on NMA thinks:
Judging from what I've read on the forums, the game seems to be in real time (like the original Fallout games) until you enter combat. Then it switches to your turn. You take your turn, using up your AP's, and then... in order to avoid the player having to tediously wait while 100 enemies take their turn individually, the game switches to Real Time until your turn comes up again.
what we essentially get is turn based (not hybrid) and then we get kind of a limited real time whilst you wait for enemies to use their precision shots. Then once your points are charged back up, you go back into turnbased to do special shots or whatever. So it just keeps you doing something whilst enemies take their turns.

In that case, it's essentially turn based with a minigame to play whilst you wait for the others to take their turn. In which case, it's a fucking turn based combat system with more stuff to do in the middle. Which, well, almost sounds like an improvement on FO1 and 2.

Surely it can't be like that.

EDIT: it's not "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting". So TB is an optional thing. Oh well. might still be interesting.
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Karma should be implemented, to an extent.

Not straight out good or bad, just word of your actions get around slowley, depending on your actions they might just be restricted to a town or the entire worldmap over time (People in modoc might like you helping out with the dogs and the bhraman, but people in reno just wont give a fuck, but if you stop the master, everyone will be happy, but stopping the enclave has a smaller impact, cause not everyone knows of them)

Even then, it should be restricted by the what affects the person, you do something that makes things better for them or their faction, they like you more, but you do something that makes things worse for them, their faction, or something they dont like, they like you less.
Dparrot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dparrot »

I still wonder what skills got the axe.
Still, things could have gone better. :?
The combat, unless this quote is wrong, still sounds a bit RT to me.
Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.
Some things did sound good though.
Not the character creation, that sounds a bit .... silly.
ηβπ
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

the characther creation sounds like an even more gayed up of the way morrowind started.

Odds are itll be some gay intro sequence you wont be allowed to skip too.
Dparrot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dparrot »

PsychoSnipers wrote:the characther creation sounds like an even more gayed up of the way morrowind started.

Odds are itll be some gay intro sequence you wont be allowed to skip too.
I agree, especially the being born bit.
My only hope for that part is that if Neeson's character ends up having to look something like what I decide mine is, then I will make my character as fugly as I can. :drunk:
ηβπ
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Ok.
The combat sounds a bit of a mess. But I think now, we gotta drop that shit and pressure them on the quests and roleplaying now. I'd rather play a game with shitty combat but awesome dialogue and quests (PS:T) rather than a game with great combat but not much else (ToEE).
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

I gotta admin, Seeson's characther seems irrelvent tho, sorta like hes playing the overseer rom the sounds of it.

But the creatoon and conbat sounds gay.
Dparrot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dparrot »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Ok.
The combat sounds a bit of a mess. But I think now, we gotta drop that shit and pressure them on the quests and roleplaying now. I'd rather play a game with shitty combat but awesome dialogue and quests (PS:T) rather than a game with great combat but not much else (ToEE).
I think PS:T is a bit to much to hope for.
Something that comes close is about the best we can expect.
How close?
Probably not very. :shrug_no:
ηβπ
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Is it to much to ask for FO3 to be, well, you know......... like Fallout but with better graphics ?
Mori
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Mori »

They mentioned changing the third person camera from how it was in Oblivion, because it sucked there. I think the combat system could turn out to be good, once we get some clearer details. What I really care about is the dialogue and the quests. Combat in the first two games really just ended up boiling down to:
-Aimed Shot -> Eyes (Or regular shot x2 if you are fighting weak enemies)
-Reload
-Maybe move
-Wait while 10 rats walk around slowly
-Aimed Shot -> Eyes (Or regular shot x2 if you are fighting weak enemies)
-Reload
-Maybe move
-Wait while 9 rats walk around slowly
-etc

So I'm glad they're changing it. But I'm a filthy genre-whore, I enjoy a lot of games from different genres based on their own merits.
Dparrot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dparrot »

I did not go for the eyes that often in Fallout 1/2 combat.
Going for the legs was better, and made sure they did not run away.
ηβπ
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

OK, I really hope this leaked article is a joke, because a lot of it sounds utterly horrendous.

First, I have to say that I am content with character-creation bit but I would have preffered classic FO char-creation (wouldn't we all).

Interesting, which skills were removed?
Some of the very specific skills could have been assimilated into one, more generalised, skill.

Too many skills could be annoying for console kiddies to keep track of.

For instance, unarmed and melee could become "CQC" or something like that, handling of explosives (i.e. Traps), traps and grenades (Throwing skill) could be rolled into a skilled named Explosives or Demolition?

The VATS-system... It sounds like a combination combat systems from KOTOR, FOT, Arcanum and PS:T... Beth needs to make combat either in full RT or full TB, there is no middle ground.
However, if they do implement full RT combat parts of the SPECIAL system become obsolete. Since SPECIAL was designed for TB-combat, it is obvious what Beth needs to do if they want to retain the system.

And slow-motion deaths, what!? Get out of here... I really hope that one is a joke.

Karma system is a plus, though I agree with Teatime on that it removes "moral ambiguity", as he put it. It would be better for FO if a form of alignment system -- a là PS:T -- were used...

One of the most disturbing points in this article, according to me at least, is that they write that there will be no party (!), only henchmen that could be hired at one's leisure, Diablo-style.
The party was one of the greatest elements of FO, because you were following not only the fate of the PC but also the fates of his party members, who also reflected world events.

This was also well executed in KOTOR and BG.

Why does one need a level-cap in a sandobox game? Sounds gay.

P.S.

Yay at dog in game!

Edit:

P.P.S.

Why did swell guy at NMA get this before us?
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

The level cap is cause theres gona be cash expansions.

Course modders will undo that right away I bet
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

PsychoSnipers wrote:The level cap is cause theres gona be cash expansions.

Course modders will undo that right away I bet
Of course they will, removing a level cap in a game is not a big deal if you know what to do.
It is the principle of the matter. Why have a level cap in a game where you are supposed to have total freedom?

Cash expansions!? <strike>Horse</strike> Dog armour? Aiee!
Last edited by Alexander on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

The RPG of the year 2008. (Some random shiny award) !
Our Host!