Inspiration for newest concept art revealed?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Inspiration for newest concept art revealed?

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Images ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Some folks with a very large penchant for detail over at <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com" target="_self">NMA</a> believe to have found the inspiration for the aircraft carrier in <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/disp ... ?pos=-1820" target="_self">Bethesda's newest concept art</a>. They believe it is the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Oriskany_(CV-34)" target="_self">USS Oriskany</a>. Check out the image comparisons <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... ic_id=2099" target="_self">here</a>. I have to admit, there's undeniable similarity, but I doubt we'll actually be seeing the Oriskany in <em>Fallout 3</em>.</p><p>Thanks to <strong>Pope Viper</strong> for the tip. </p>
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

That is enough similarity that it's clearly copyright infringement. If I'd used that image so literally in any of my illustration classes I'd have gotten in trouble.

Unless the original image is public domain? Then it's cool? But still lame.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

The original image is public domain, SuperH.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Who gives a shit anyway?

I mean, that the concept art is inspired by that boat?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Don't most battleships look the same?
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Not really.

They differ by era and nation.

The bismark for example looks differnt than american battleships (some of which date back to WW2 unless Im mistook)
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Yeah, shit that's dead on.

The pertinent thing is this:
"The name Oriskany was originally assigned to CV-18, but that hull was renamed Wasp when the keel was laid in 1942. CV-34 was laid down 1 May 1944 by the New York Naval Shipyard, launched 13 October 1945, and sponsored by Mrs. Clarence Cannon. Construction was suspended on 12 August 1947, when the ship was approximately 85% complete."

So technically, since everyone brings up the point that Fallout 3 is based in a 50's world stopped in its tracks, the whole aircraft carrier thing is not too terribly far-fetched.
Death to quotes.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Don't most battleships look the same?
nah, and aircraft carriers are another matter entirely :chew:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

TelemachusSneezed wrote:So technically, since everyone brings up the point that Fallout 3 is based in a 50's world stopped in its tracks, the whole aircraft carrier thing is not too terribly far-fetched.
Yeah, but 50's art deco, with extravagant art detail, like giant statues holding up buildings, etc. Look at Bioshock, that's kinda what it should be like.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

um bongo um bongo they drink it in the congo

aircraft carriers look all alike more or less jeez fucking nerds
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

SuperH wrote:That is enough similarity that it's clearly copyright infringement. If I'd used that image so literally in any of my illustration classes I'd have gotten in trouble.
This happens ALL THE TIME, public domain or not. I went to art school, and have many connections I refuse to clarify. I'm an illustrator myself. You are allowed to use elements of someone else's work (photography, etc.) or take an existing work and change a certain percentage of it before resale. I've seen far worse (or better, depending on how you look at it) examples.
One guy I know steals work from photographers, paints directly onto their shit, and takes full credit. He actually won a couple awards!

Hell, I admit I steal images on occasion, but at least I change shit around enough to be original. Sometimes deadlines are short.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

You shocked me. How can you STEAL images? It's like you just told me, that you raped your own mother. :D
���������
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Well there are "rules" on how much has changed and if that is a "new" picture. Basically those are ridicilous. I'd say it depends more on the work that has been done. For example this carrier. I see no reason for any copyright issues, because the pictures are clearly not used as the photographer used them.

"ooh, my whole composition is the carrier!" in these pictures it's the city and centerpoint is the carrier. Sounds the same, but in reality isn't. Painting pictures on to photographs is a different thing, because you use the same composition.

Famous pictures about the copyright are Edward Hoppers paintings...how many have seen a Simpsons version of them?

http://ag.arizona.edu/~epfirman/hopper.gif
http://www.meguimaraes.com/subrosa/arqu ... -thumb.jpg

I personally feel that the essence of the picture in the terms of the copyright is more the composition, than the picture itself. Imagine the kick-levitation in the Matrix...have you seen that in other movies? Yes, does it feel different when it's being done by a cow (kung pow) or by cameron diaz ( Shrek)...or does it still feel like the Matrix kick?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Kick levitations in Fallout 3! That's what we need!
���������
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

this artwork is clearly based on the photo pasted in the 'comparison picture'.
Oh well.
Mad Max RW wrote:One guy I know steals work from photographers, paints directly onto their shit, and takes full credit. He actually won a couple awards!
:giggle:
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

King of Creation wrote:
TelemachusSneezed wrote:So technically, since everyone brings up the point that Fallout 3 is based in a 50's world stopped in its tracks, the whole aircraft carrier thing is not too terribly far-fetched.
Yeah, but 50's art deco, with extravagant art detail, like giant statues holding up buildings, etc. Look at Bioshock, that's kinda what it should be like.
How about an art deco aircraft carrier then? Wouldn't that be cool! Red leather, chrome, and Corinthian column decorations galore!
Death to quotes.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Problem is that console kids would say: ZOMFG! t3h shit lookz like it belonged to gran'pa!

They need something mindless hordes of modest idiots can identify with.

The artwork is very :9/11: :bored:
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

TelemachusSneezed wrote:How about an art deco aircraft carrier then? Wouldn't that be cool! Red leather, chrome, and Corinthian column decorations galore!
That would be rad. Err, ninja. Whatever the kids say these days.

Hell, the oil rig had giant Atlas Shrugged titan faces on it, why not an aircraft carrier?

(sidenote: I think art deco got rid of neo-classical design elements like corinthian columns)
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

i think the carrier should have one of those chrome
welded chain licence plate frames, just put to scale
with a giant license plate that said "PIMP"
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Goretheglowingone wrote:i think the carrier should have one of those chrome
welded chain licence plate frames, just put to scale
with a giant license plate that said "PIMP"