Slave Town by Dave Brumby (single player)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Slave Town by Dave Brumby (single player)

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Just finished the new map Slave Town by Dave Brumby. Only been through it twice so this might not be a 100% complete rewiew, anyways here goes :-).

There are spoliers though!

I really liked the fact that it was so light weight and solo. The story was abit lacking but since its not a campaign (As far as I know...) it doesnt really matter that much. One thing I noticed was the difficulty balance, if you turned on Hard mode from start on youd get killed because you wont hit anything with only 47%SM skill, although as soon as you get a lvl up, assuming you use it on SM skill, youre almost invincible because you can outrange all the raiders. So what im really saying is that most of the raiders maybe have abit to low SM skill (I won all sniper duels easily) although the the guy with the Sniper Rifle had to be sneaked.

Some silly things I noticed were that NPC selling equipment has a Reaver and a Raider armor which both cannot be worn by a Ghoul. And also the few heavy/energy weapens scattered around the map are pretty much useless since the highest skill youll reach in bigguns/energy would be about 50. The head honcho, Fray Bentos, was WAY to easy! I just sat in the corner of the entrance to his room and killed him slowly with the sniper rifle id just picked up upside, his SAW didnt even clip me (I had hard mode turned on as well). Again range factors are abit of a problem.

Ok those were mostly negative comments, so now to the positve comments :-). I loved the citys layout! Alot of great detail with catucs growing here and there, nice buildings and all over a very good town fighting scene. The civi NPCs were very cool implemented and the raiders well placed. Money and ammo ratios were very well balanced so that you were forced to use other weapens than just AK47 and other 7.62 guns. One thing id also really liked was the way SM skill and lock pick skill was balanced, if you spent many skill points on SM your LP would be to low to open certain doors and containers, which would be the trade off for better accuracy.

Hmm... Thats about it I think... hmm... Well it needed more dogs I think
and a few mines maybe :) And on a side note, maybe a spell check....

Done!
and of course thanks, Dave, for making the map so I had something interesting to do this, now gone by, afternoon :D Hope youll make another soon.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Agreed - the map is too easy if one gets the Sniper Rifle or the Neostead.

I also loved the look of the town - very detailed, very awsome to look at. It looks like a "real" town of the Wasteland :D

I also liked the chest that's too hard to pick on your own, but when you find the lockpicks, you can go back and unlock it. Very neat and well-implemented.

Overall, I liked the map a lot, and I hope the author will make more!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Ixian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ixian »

As I allready wrote in some other forum:

Great map....very well balanced.

p.s.
The only - is the story...or should I say the lack of a story.
Keep up the good work.

Yeah, Max is right....I also think that it's a bit too easy with the Neostead.
Yeah, sure; whatever comforts you.
Our Host!