Pete Hines on Spong

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Pete Hines on Spong

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Pete Hines">Person: Pete Hines</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p><strong>Pete Hines</strong> has been <a href="http://spong.com/detail/editorial.jsp?e ... id=&page=3" target="_self">interviewed</a> by the rather oddly named <a href="http://spong.com/" target="_self">Spong</a>. Here's the good part:</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="postbody"><span>POnG</span>: From that description, it strikes me that there's maybe similarities with what Irrational are trying to do with Bioshock.

<span>Pete Hines</span>: Mmmmmm, not really&hellip;
maybe a little, but only in as much as any role-playing game is going
to be similar in certain ways to any other role-playing game. What
you're going to see from us in Fallout 3 is going to be pretty
different though.

<span>SPOnG</span>: In terms of resurrecting that late 1990s classic though?

<span>Pete Hines</span>: Yeah, but again, what Fallout 3 does in terms of theme and tone and setting is very different.

(...)

<span>SPOnG</span>: One of the things that
crops up a lot in reviews and discussions of about Fallout is that a
lot of the fans like the about Fallout humour. What does this mean to
you?

<span>Pete Hines</span>: Well, Todd Howard
(Executive Producer at Bethesda) has talked a little about this. We're
not big fans of jokes&hellip; developers that try to tell jokes, it tends not
to work very well. You know, the humour in Fallout 3 is that you can
get a weapon and blow a guy to a bloody mess, then when you pull up
your interface, you see a little smiling cartoon character holding his
thumb up. Like that's funny&hellip; funny not in terms of jokes or winks at
the camera and such&hellip;

<span>SPOnG</span>: So, more like Terminator style humour?

<span>Pete Hines</span>: Yeah, exactly, that sort of stuff. It's just on how you present the game and the content and the setting.

<span>SPOnG</span>: And the setting is East Coast USA right?

<span>Pete Hines</span>: I dunno if we've said, have we? There's a lot of rumour and speculation swirling about out there! [laughs]

<span>SPOnG</span>: Is it fair to say it will be released on PC, PS3 and 360?

<span>Pete Hines</span>: No, not fair to say. We haven't announced any platforms yet.</span></em>
</p></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

I'm issuing a fatwa on Pete Hines as we speak.
King of Creation wrote:<span>SPOnG</span>: In terms of resurrecting that late 1990s classic though?
<br>
<span>Pete Hines</span>: Yeah, but again, what Fallout 3 does in terms of theme and tone and setting is very different.
This answer can mean either of two things:
(1) "Fallout 3 will be a lot different from other games."
(2) "Fallout 3 will be a lot different from the other Fallout games."

I'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.
Death to quotes.
hordespawn
SDF!
SDF!

Post by hordespawn »

This answer can mean either of two things:
(1) "Fallout 3 will be a lot different from other games."
(2) "Fallout 3 will be a lot different from the other Fallout games."
I thought the same thing at first, but after reading it again, I think it was a comparison with Bioshock, which basically means that he said absolutely nothing. In fact it seems he repeated some what we had already heard, giving us yet another pointless interview from Beth$oft.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Hence the alert level.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

He was referring back to Bioshock? Then he wasn't even answering the question! :rofl:

Calculated obtuseness!
Death to quotes.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What worries me the most is the platforms part.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Yeah.

Pro- For all we know, they're making a game that works on NOTHING, muchless a PC

Con- Their history shows it'll prolly be on every console, and poorley ported to PC.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Fucking shit I hate these guys. Is bloody mess and this imaginary scene of pipboy giving thumbs up for killing somebody all those MORONS can think of when asked about Fallout?? Bloody mess was lame and added nothing. And does anyone recall the pipboy EVER giving thumbs up for blowing a guy's head off? In any of the games? Why don't they just call it Fallout: GTA edition.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

You guys. Maybe they're making it only for PC! :chuckle:
Mad Max RW wrote:Fucking shit I hate these guys. Is bloody mess and this imaginary scene of pipboy giving thumbs up for killing somebody all those MORONS can think of when asked about Fallout?? Bloody mess was lame and added nothing. And does anyone recall the pipboy EVER giving thumbs up for blowing a guy's head off? In any of the games? Why don't they just call it Fallout: GTA edition.
Ya know, he is *only* the PR guy. He may not really have a fucking clue about what the game looks like, and was probably only shown a few concept art pieces.
Death to quotes.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I never really thought Fallout had much humor. If there was any (at least in the original game) it was alot more subtle. Getting a thumbs up for shooting someone is just not funny in any way at all.

A twelve year old might find it funny.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Fallout was about sarcasm, irony and cynicism.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Fallout used "black" humor... tone, not skin color.
Death to quotes.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Fallout was about sarcasm, irony and cynicism.
I'm guessing Todd's not big fans of those either.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Mad Max RW wrote:does anyone recall the pipboy EVER giving thumbs up for blowing a guy's head off? In any of the games?
exactly.
Or maybe he meant that vaultboy was funny in the (unrelated to killing) graphics and you could see these graphics going to the char screen? Whatever..
The whole vaultboy/charscreen/GUI thing was great and humorous. The contrast between the cheerful, funny pictures (and messages in the textbox) and the bleak, violent game world is one of the things that make F a classic.
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

Or maybe he meant that vaultboy was funny in the (unrelated to killing) graphics and you could see these graphics going to the char screen? Whatever..
I think that's more what was implied, but PRCON 3, people...

Anyway, what exactly are the PRCON levels? I've seen PRCON 4 and 3, but I haven't a clue what the others are.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Pete Hines and the rest of the Bethesda mouths are a bunch of morons. To understand Fallout you have to understand it's an interpretation of a bunch of things. They've gotta see and understand (and enjoy, not just watch because it's their job) movies like Dr. Strangelove, Brazil, Mad Max, Road Warrior, Atomic Cafe, A Boy and His Dog, along with early Cold War era stuff like duck and cover, the future world of 1980 and that sorta shit. What we're getting instead is an interpretation of an interpretation. And that's bogus. Fallout felt authentic somehow. We're better off with some bored teenager in Poland making a Fallout TC out of Morrowind.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Mad Max RW wrote:Pete Hines and the rest of the Bethesda mouths are a bunch of morons. To understand Fallout you have to understand it's an interpretation of a bunch of things. They've gotta see and understand (and enjoy, not just watch because it's their job) movies like Dr. Strangelove, Brazil, Mad Max, Road Warrior, Atomic Cafe, A Boy and His Dog, along with early Cold War era stuff like duck and cover, the future world of 1980 and that sorta shit. What we're getting instead is an interpretation of an interpretation. And that's bogus. Fallout felt authentic somehow. We're better off with some bored teenager in Poland making a Fallout TC out of Morrowind.
Right on, which is why statements like this kill me :
That's fantastic, except for one small detail - you didn't develop them. And it's not just the finished product, but the process itself that defines the development of the previous titles. And Oblivion isn't going to give you the background necessary - it includes the titles you mentioned Max, as well as more.

Britany Spears can buy the rights to make a record called Bitches Brew II, and she can say she's approaching it like she made the first one. The problem isn't that, it's that Britany Spears can't do what Miles Davis did.

Pete's so mired in his own bullshit, here's hoping he chokes on it. :drunk:
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Welcome to the future. They're gona do just like they did with ST Legacy, pretend to make good shit. release pure shit.
Broken Xeno
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Broken Xeno »

Unfortunately half-assing their games seems to be what they excell at as of late. Making promises they either don't intend to keep, or are, to begin with, veiled and vague, and then delivering a game that is, like psychosniper said, a big pile of pure shit.
-Broken, Not Busted-
Our Host!