Rumor Time: Fear the story?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

VDweller wrote:You know, I'd actually like to see that armageddon. So far you guys have been taking it like a bitch, buying every official word and celebrating rare developers' posts, trying hard not ask yourself the obvious questions.
Yes and no. I think that's taking a bit too easy an attitude from you, VDweller. We've been clear on what we would like and dislike and how we'll respond, but it's kind of hard to base an argument around a supposition, especially an undetailed one.

Sure you can draw a lot of conclusions through inference. But what can you then do with those conclusions? Very little.
Killzig wrote:If anybody asks, thank Todd Howard.
I'd love nothing more than Pete sending me an angry mail asking me "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT INFO?" so I could answer "I'm sorry, but we're not ready to talk about that yet."
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Dan_Wood
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Dan_Wood »

Suffice it to say, unless it's in an official press release, I'm not going to believe a word of it.

Just thinking about Rosh slobbering developer knob just so he can bash FO3 in the forums makes me really wonder if Rosh doesn't have anything better to do.

This newsthread will now contain a list of things Rosh should be doing instead of posting drivel on the Interweb.
Dan Wood

Nothing like a slow-moving localized apocalypse to really make you think about proper data backup procedures.
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

Kharn wrote:We've been clear on what we would like and dislike and how we'll respond...
We shall wait and see.
Sure you can draw a lot of conclusions through inference. But what can you then do with those conclusions? Very little.
How do those conclusions differ from confirmed facts? Let's start with the basics: the game is neither turn-based nor isometric. That's pretty much a fact. If I'm not mistaken these two elements were kinda important to the Fallout community, but instead of doing whatever it is you guys do about such things, you (I don't mean you personally) prefer to pretend that nothing has been decided yet and that no official word has been given. See the post above mine for details - "Suffice it to say, unless it's in an official press release, I'm not going to believe a word of it." It's a great strategy that Bethesda is using against you even now.

Mind you, I'm not expecting you to do anything. You know my position. Fallout is dead, but hopefully Bethesda will make a decent PA game inspired by Fallout. It's just when I read stuff like "oh, yeah, there will be hell to pay, HELL TO PAY, BETHESDA!!!!"... I mean, if you guys are serious about doing something about it, what the fuck are you waiting for?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

it's just teenage angst and nerd rage channeled into the streams of internetian forumopia
nothing to worry about really :)
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

VD wrote:So far you guys have been taking it like a bitch, buying every official word and celebrating rare developers' posts, trying hard not ask yourself the obvious questions.
The obvious questions: I think we've both asked them and answered them, without the need for inside contacts or mangs with inside contacts. And when I say we, I leave the administration out of it; their cynicism shouldn't be in too plain of a view. And when I say administration I have to exclude Mr. Teatime, who, of course, has been on Beth payroll for probably more than a year now.

And, whenever there's some official F3 news, we get these drop-ins that go "OH MAN MY HOPE FOR THE GAME HAS TOTALLY COME BACK", ( I'm thinking these are beth-bots. ) and their input in the thread does spread some amount of ass-kissing around, so there's a need for detailed examination of the community response before you can draw such a conclusion.

Celebrating rare dev-posts: Celebrating as in, what, giving it attention? You're pretty much bound to do that when the devs are stone-walling you, and the last good newsbit you had was about a two-headed mutant trout discovered in Alaska. You get a bunch of beth-bots, and the counter assault, and once a beth-dev came by and said "Lol, neva seen 1 of these be4 huh?" which is a bit like hard candy on an empty stomach.

As for this detailed covert-op info: whoop-de-fucking doo. If one could harm the development by some direct quotes, I guess it'd be quite the resource, wether or not anyone gets fired. If not, which I assume is the case, the actual info is just a confirmation of the expectations we've had, as a community, since the time that Beth acquired the license; you don't really need to hear it, and actual proof won't really satisfy anyone. But, if a less vague summary of all known facts could surface, it could, even as unconfirmed speculation, be useful in drawing more votes to our side of the struggle, or at least drawing a line between the canoneers and the tictackers.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Dan_Wood wrote: This newsthread will now contain a list of things Rosh should be doing instead of posting drivel on the Interweb.
Finding a way for pharmaceutical companies to patent naturally occurring substances so that whitey can get the cure to all that ails them (for a price) and accelerate the death of the developing world before they consume all of whitey's resources.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Look, an ivory-billed woodpecker!
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

So, let me get this straight:

For Kharn everything is rumours untill someone from Bethesda sends him a email with facts (if possible, favourable a press kit).

Then St. Toxic is on the agenda that there is no need for inside contacts for obvious information...

:?

EDIT: "Look, an ivory-billed woodpecker!" Muahahah :clap:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

For Kharn everything is rumours untill someone from Bethesda sends him a email with facts (if possible, favourable a press kit).
Wrong, yet again... Frissy you, King of Creation and Teatime made the transition from the Interplay forum to the Fallout fan sites more or less at the same time. You all went to NMA not because of our pretty eyes but because you would get the real info that you couldn't have anywhere about what was going on, and because we are a community without much bullshiting. That hasn't changed, don't pretend it has, and the fact you all are here now doesn't change a thing, you're just trying to find stuff as we do and did.

So let's find that info, without sidetracking so much, it gives the wrong impression, Mr. SmileyFaceDude might think we are back into our internal divisions instead of going after them, which clearly is not the case

:hug:

Speaking of the (very handsome) devil, Mr. SmileyFaceDude why didn't you hire anyone from the past Fallout games but instead hired a gguy for Q&A and now as an assistant producer that in 2002/2003 would spend his days ranting against the Fallout fans in general and the Fallout fansites in particular? That isn't nice, why give a chance to Shadowstrider and promoting him and so forth and at the same time shut the doors to the devs that know about the previous games?
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Wrong. I didn't go to NMA after the Interplay forums said boom (or *spluff*). I went to DAC. I was silent one then, mostly because the numbers of DAC weren't as big, but the news was good so there really wasn't such a big need for forum-hell. I also didn't involve myself that much. I wasn't doing any good graphical stuff or basically anything usefull for the community.

At some point I entered NMA, mostly because I was reading the forums and noticed (by accident) some of the personas I met in the Interplay forums, so I decided to join the NMA and continue the tradition. I never left DAC, but I just chose to hang around NMA more (mostly because there was more people I knew).

Then I chose to leave the bigotry of NMA.

As for KoC or Mr. Teatime I don't know.

Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

You completely missed the point. Oh well.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Ah, sorry. Now I see the point.

But didn't this "debate" start over the issue that you/me/they/others/"insert name here" aren't finding info, but rather waiting for it to bite your ass?

But yes, let's find that info. Not just waiting for the info to be released in some console-magazine...

Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:Look, an ivory-billed woodpecker!
oh lookie, the boys at bethSoft have tuned up their HUMOR with the work they've been doing on the SHIVERING MY TIMBERS Oblivion expansion. :joy:

shadow hide you
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

frissy wrote:But yes, let's find that info. Not just waiting for the info to be released in some console-magazine...
Go ahead.

Shadowstrider for Fallout lead :dance:
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Kharn wrote:
frissy wrote:But yes, let's find that info. Not just waiting for the info to be released in some console-magazine...
Go ahead.
Not my job, and I'm pretty certain it's more your job than mine.

Tell me, how does this sound:

NMA is the biggest Fallout community, but now that Fallout 3 is in production it doesn't even post rumours about it, because...er...they are only rumours, not valid facts given offically from the source (instead "oohhh !! LOOK A POST-NUKE REFERENCE IN DONALD DUCK!!" let's post it!!! :pelvic_thrust: )

Nma, the biggest Fallout community, the balls of anything Fallout(y). Blacklisted, and isn't getting any info on Fallout 3 (because Bethesda is a nasty company...). Well, one question: How in the hell did the console-magazine-hell get the info?

Am I seriously missing something here? If Bethesda is such a nasty company that doesn't like you and gives the info to a new-console-mag then why, oh why are you playing ball with it?

I can understand that you would play ball with them if you actually got anything out from it...but then again, there's still BIOSHOCK! :joy:

Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

frissy wrote:Not my job, and I'm pretty certain it's more your job than mine.
Oh, that's easy, then. You're disappointed at the job a bunch of volunteers are doing, but won't do anything about it yourself? Very proactive.
frissy wrote:NMA is the biggest Fallout community, but now that Fallout 3 is in production it doesn't even post rumours about it, because...er...they are only rumours, not valid facts given offically from the source
You've seen the response to rumours here. Shocked? I'm sure the Fallout community is smoehow in dire need of more unsubstantiated bull, though.
frissy wrote:Well, one question: How in the hell did the console-magazine-hell get the info?
Sucking up to Bethesda, promising to go along with the hype. Whatever. Not something we're going to do.
frissy wrote:If Bethesda is such a nasty company that doesn't like you and gives the info to a new-console-mag then why, oh why are you playing ball with it?
We're not, nor are we going to weaken our own position by being caught in their game.

"Not playing ball" implies that we have independentness of movement and decision, not that we take everything Bethesda does, reverse it and go in the different direction. Playing ball is being manipulated by them. Posting unsubstantiated rumours is playing ball.

What wasn't playing ball is blowing the "super-nerds" meltdown from one of the Bethesda devs wide open. Or don't you remember that? Look at the difference between the response to that and this, and you should understand why one is posted and the other isn't.

I'm fairly fed up with this bull, though. People act as if posting these rumours is somehow a life-changing factor, but you've seen the responses it causes here. Again, I'm not playing Bethesda's game, I'm not going along with this.
Dagon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dagon »

Anyway anyone remembers the old Van Buren days, when Developers actually talked to Fallout Fans and was taking their requests seriously?
That's why almost whole fanbase wasn't sceptical and negative.
Because VB was made by fallout fans FOR fallout fans (wow 5xF :O).
War, war never changes....
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Kharn wrote: We're not, nor are we going to weaken our own position by being caught in their game.
Weaken the position...oh please.

1st Position: Having facts, or something that actually has some official value :paper:

2nd Position: Rumours, people talking. Your basic chit-chat-bullshit, but still within the subject :chew:

3rd Position: Bioshock ref!!! Having no info! JEEHAA!!! :help:

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

frissy gets it.

Dagon, I remember those days. The only real fear most people had was the game ever coming out. The story was kinda lame, but the mechanics and look were all there. Even though this place is hostile we still had open communication with folks at Black Isle. They understood without us nobody would remember Fallout. On the other hand you have Bethesda, who doesn't give a flying fuck about the fans who kept this great series in the back of everybody's mind for so many years.

Rumors should be made public. This isn't a professional operation. I doubt one person from any of the sites went to school for journalism.
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

frissy wrote:Well, one question: How in the hell did the console-magazine-hell get the info?
What do *you* think? Surely you are aware of the difference between a fansite and the OFFICIAL xbox magazine. Bethesda needs these large hype outlets and the army of morons who read them.
Mad Max RW wrote:On the other hand you have Bethesda, who doesn't give a flying fuck about the fans who kept this great series in the back of everybody's mind for so many years.
Well, if it's any consolation, Bethesda doesn't give a fuck about the TES fans, fucking first the Daggerfall fans with Morrowind, and then the Morrowind fans with Oblivion.
Rumors should be made public.
Why? So that everyone can dismiss them as lies and evil propaganda, stating that nothing short of the official word is good enough?

Once again, I told you that the game is neither turn-based nor isometric 6 months ago. What happened? Nothing. Rosh posted that bit about the story. What happened? Nothing. Well, technically, Rosh was ridiculed and laughed at, so I guess it's something. I can't wait to post more.

I told Rosh awhile ago that the Fallout community will get a Fallout game it deserves. I hope you guys are open-minded and are finally ready to embrace the next-generation (tm) game design.
Our Host!