Bioshock. Wow.

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Bioshock. Wow.

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p>Occasionally I come across a piece of news so gobsmackingly retarded, I just have to post it, despite it not strictly being to do with Fallout.</p><p>Remember Bioshock? The game developed by the guys from System Shock 2, designed to be SS2's 'spiritual successor'? Remember how it was announced it would be on the Xbox360 and we all went, 'Well maybe it could still be good'? Check out this <a target="_self" href="http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/qa1.htm">recent QA</a>, and <em><strong>worry no more</strong></em>!
</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="postbody"><strong>Are there any lessons from Deus Ex 2 that the team has learned and is using when making BioShock?</strong>
</span></em></p><p><em><span class="postbody">

Many development teams have learned important lessons from previous
attempts to bring PC games to the console, though Deus Ex 2 is an
infamous example. One of the main things we are doing differently is
that we are leading our development efforts with the 360. Therefore all
decisions on HUD and gameplay situations are made on the 360 and
brought over to the PC to avoid the situations you are thinking about.</span> </em></p></blockquote><p>Thank fuck for that. I'm <em>so</em> pleased they've learnt from Deus Ex 2. So, so, pleased. No, those are tears of <em>joy </em>you see coming from the children over there.
</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com">RPG Codex</a></p>
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

IT'S THE PODS, I TELL YOU! THE PODS!!!
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

BioShock, no mouse version. Vista only. Buggy incomplete version available through Steam.

Seriously, what the hell are they going to learn with that?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Hahaha! That is so fuckin funny. They listed exactly the reason why DX2 was bullshit on the PC. These jerks don't have a goddamn clue.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I'm developing a headache. I AM ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS HAVING READ THAT.

Gah...

Deus Ex 2 was a bad game on consoles because it was a bad game.

It was a bad game on PC because it was a bad game AND because it was made for console.

And in my opinion it was a bad game because it was made for console. They prioritised financial gain before art, as usual.

Ken Levine isn't an idiot.. Bioshock is his baby. I'm guessing he's been pushed into a corner by publishers and Xbox 360 focus is the only way he can get it done.

I do not believe he'd make this choice.

And hey, maybe with enough pressure we can get a semi-official major patch that will give the game a new interface for PC =D

Afterthought: Bioshock's style is bulky and stylish, 20s-50s mahogany inlays and fairground electric lighting, combined with submarine style reinforced metal, rivets and airlocks...

... Therefore, might a bulky and consolised interface actually be more suitable than expected? A small, hyper-efficient and stylish HUD wouldn't be suitable for Bioshock.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Ken Levine, do us all a favour and slit ASAP. Thanks.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Thank god. I was afraid I'd have to play a half-assed pc port on the 360. :spacecat:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

From the Cult of Rapture forums:
That FAQ entry is not accurate. According to Ken Levine, it was written by our new community development liaison who is coming to Boston this week to get fully briefed on our development process.

- Chris Kline, Lead Programmer

Sounds a bit like a pr coverup, but we'll see.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Kharn wrote:but we'll see.
Yeah, we'll see what a huge lump of shit the end result will be.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:huge lump of shit
Hence the title Bio Shock?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

VasikkA wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:huge lump of shit
Hence the title Bio Shock?
Precisely.
To be honest, I was really hyped about this game when I first heard about it and read the reviews. When the gameplay trailer came out, I was like: "Meh, looks like shit. All these scripted events, identical skins, etc, but they could still pull it off". Now, I probably won't even be bothered to pirate it.
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Here's the forum link to Ken's comment:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.p ... ost1549285
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

I still think it has potential, developed-for-360 or no. Isn't the PC vs. console thing played out? It's 2007, for shit's sake. Let's move on.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

no. dig in deeper. the holy nuclear flame shall burn everything unclean and square. the day of xboxification will fade out eventually.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Porting is like pushing your finished product out through a minefield. If it lives, chances are it'll be a scarred, broken piece of shit. Now, I don't care that much about what happens to the game; I just think, y'know, you have to loose some respect for the type of creators willingly doing that to their creation.

EDIT: This was actually pretty fun, being quite accurate as it is, and yet with attempted sarcasm.
I hope Irrational dumb down Bioshock for us console owning idiots because we're just little kids who are entirely bankrupt in the mental department. You guys with PCs are so superior and just have all the fun, it's no fair how intelligent you guys are that you can understand sci-fi/fantasy stories & cursor-driven interfaces, because I can't grasp those concepts for the life of me. Put a mouse in my hand and it just flies all over the screen, what is a mouse!?? If Bioshock is not just a mindless twitch arcade shooter for beginners me and all my zombie friends are gonna be so confused and frustrated because that's all people play on consoles, ever. Video game stories, especially the super-complex ones in PC shooter games, are so hard to understand!!! Rich ambiance, intricate plots, and emergent gameplay just don't appear on consoles and never have! I don't even think it's possible!

But I know Irrational understands that all console owners are retarded morons because that's just how developers think. They have meetings on these things! I have faith, Irrational!
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Subhuman wrote:I still think it has potential, developed-for-360 or no. Isn't the PC vs. console thing played out? It's 2007, for shit's sake. Let's move on.
i'll concur with you there, i don't think being developed with xbox in mind will necessarily hurt bioshock, since none of the game's inventory / console stuff looked that advanced (seemed like a dumbed-down SS2) and it's certainly more shooter than RPG. of course, even most shooters developed with consoles in mind are fairly shitty (consider halo 2 vs. half-life 2 or something. half-life 2 was way iller in almost every respect; and halo would be hailed as a piece of shit if it was primarily released on PC).

anyway, there are worse things to worry about (the game just being a linear parade of scripted events, for one) so i don't see why people care so much about this tidbit. meh, i was never planning on paying money for it, and i'll probably still pirate a copy of it, if only for da cool water effeks.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Our Host!