Interplay History

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Interplay History

Post by Urizen »

<strong>[ Company -> Editorial ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Herve Caen">Person: Herve Caen</a> | More info on <a href="#Interplay">Company: Interplay</a>

What with all the recent Interplay news and rumours flying around, a brief summary of the corporation's history may be appropriate. Old-timers may not find much news here, but others may find it somewhat enlightening.

In 1982, Adhaminto Boone had to close down his small games company, Boone Corporation. Brian Fargo, who was vice-president of R&D, took along some of the senior programmers to found Interplay productions. The small outfit published several titles, but finally struck gold with "The Bard's Tale" and "Wasteland", which gave them the financial backing they needed to start publishing their own titles, instead of relying on EA as their publisher.

They started publishing games from other companies in 1988, but it wasn't until 1993 that they managed another hit, and started the "Descent" series, first produced by Parallax Software. Starting in 1992, they were noted for pumping out a few Star Trek games, and in 1997 they hit the motherlode with Fallout and MDK, followed by Baldur's Gate in 1998. Boldened by their success, Interplay went public that same year, and changed the name to Interplay Entertainment Corp.

But the move was a bad one, and they reported several years of losses. The french company Titus Interactive started aquiring Interplay stock, and had by 2000 gained majority control of the company. Titus installed a new president, Herve Caen, but Fargo stayed on for a while as company chairman. However, Titus was allready in financial and legal trouble at that point, and eventually had to close business in 2004. Since his installment as president, Herve had tried to shift the company's attention towards console games, an area where the company had never had much success. They missed the 2002 christmas season, and Interplay was clearly on the road to oblivion.

Interplay was evicted by its landlord for not paying rent on the very day that Titus quit business, and most of the remaining staff had to leave because they weren't getting paid. Herve and a few others relocated to an other office, trying to get the company going again by selling off their various assets, but its various debts was simply too staggering. They eventually sold the rights to Fallout 3 to Bethesda, but kept the rights to make a Fallout MMO.

On 23 November last year, Interplay was served with an involuntary bankruptcy order, possibly by Corith, their former web developer, who is known for his special hatred for Herve. A week after that, Interplay filed a SEC form, stating their intent to seek european funding for a Fallout MMOG project. The form notes their intent to begin development in January 2007, revealing a timetable many would find ludicrous.
Last edited by Urizen on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

You should post this in the wiki.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

omg he just beat Teat for worst news post.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

the french ruin everything.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Good, but with a few factual mistakes.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Could you please tell me more about this Corinth guy?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I misread the title for Hitlerplay history D:
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Now that's newsworthy.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

King of Creation wrote:You should post this in the wiki.
What happened to the wiki, by the way? The Wikipocalypse... is it no longer DAC-exclusive?
St. Toxic wrote:Now that's newsworthy.
POPE'S DEAD.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

I'm on my mobile right now, and i've had a few pints, so i won't get into anything Complicated. 1.I'll post it in the wiki when i get home. 2. I think corinth has taken down his old site, but I'll post the newer and milder url when i get home. 3. Various sources have very differing versions of the interplay chronology. I've relied mostly on my own memory, supplemented by these sources, and when these conflicted, i've chosen the one i found most likely in relation to the general timeline. I'll be very gratefull for any corrections, and I'll update the post accordingly, assuming that relevant sources are included.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

A few corrections, of the top of my head:
Corith, not Corinth

Interplay filed the investor proposal a week after the involuntary bankruptcy notice

You're forgetting gems like this. There's a lot more details you're missing, but 'course it's a short history
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Alexander wrote: What happened to the wiki, by the way? The Wikipocalypse... is it no longer DAC-exclusive?
We got rid of the wikipocalypse because no one was contributing to it and it was getting attacked by bots all the time and crashing our server.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Interplay History

Post by jetbaby »

Urizen wrote:Interplay was clearly on the road to oblivion.
With guns.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

King of Creation wrote:You should post this in the wiki.
done
Cthulhu wrote:Could you please tell me more about this Corinth guy?
this is his current interplay rant: "http://www.itsuckstobejoe.com/interplay.asp". he used to have a flame site detailing his relations with herve, but he may have taken it down. then again, i haven't really searched for it. he started off at interplay as web developer and then went on to become a designer, before interplay died.
Kharn wrote:A few corrections, of the top of my head:
Corith, not Corinth
right, fixed
Interplay filed the investor proposal a week after the involuntary bankruptcy notice
fixed also
You're forgetting gems like this. There's a lot more details you're missing, but 'course it's a short history
i'll consider including it, but like you said, it's meant to be a short story

thanks for the feedback :hug:

EDIT: i haven't been able to remedy the inaccuracies on the front page (only here in this post), because i keep getting the message "You do not have permission to access this page.". if KoC or someone else could grant me access or fix it whichever is more convenient, that would be nice. thanks
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

His site is still online, thanks.
Our Host!