Fallout 3 in Xbox Magazine

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout 3 in Xbox Magazine

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>OXM (The Official XBox Magazine) has a <a target="_self" href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... 888">small article</a> on the non-existence of any information regarding <em>Fallout 3</em>. There is a very unsettling statement which I've bolded.</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="postbody">Since Bethesda acquired the license to, and quietly announced development on, Fallout 3
a while back, little has been revealed about the studio's take on the
legendary post-apocalyptic franchise. What we do know is that it will
use a modified version of Oblivion's
Gamebryo engine (and thus will likely be playable in either first- or
third-person view); it'll be huge and open-ended, as that's what
Bethesda does best; and it's been in full-on development since late
2006 under the direction of Todd Howard, the executive producer who led
Oblivion to Game of the Year-contender status. <strong>We'll have more on
Fallout 3 in a forthcoming issue of OXM.</strong></span></em></p></blockquote><p><span class="postbody">If the first concrete details about Fallout 3 appear in an Xbox magazine, and not on <a target="_self" href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">DAC</a> or <a target="_self" href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>, I predict armageddon.</span>
</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: Fallout 3 in Xbox Magazine

Post by Mr. Teatime »

What we do know is that it will
use a modified version of Oblivion's
Gamebryo engine (and thus will likely be playable in either first- or
third-person view); it'll be huge and open-ended, as that's what
Bethesda does best
:cry:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Well, let's be honest, if they go over our heads straight to the console boys, we'll know where we stand.

Roughly the same place we stood vis-a-vis Fallout BoS

PS: though you might be reading too much into that remark, CoK
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Kharn wrote:PS: though you might be reading too much into that remark, CoK
Possibly, but that's just the world we live in nowadays. With no other word from Bethesda, and with the stupid booming console market, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be pissed as hell, but it might not come as the biggest shock.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Moron wrote:it'll be huge and open-ended,
Sure, lots of HUGE areas, with lots of monsters and useless NPCs! w00t! Baldur's Gate Effect FTW!
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

King of Creation wrote:We'll have more on Fallout 3 in a forthcoming issue of OXM.
I hope they have some real informations, next time.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

As long as it has soil erosion, the rest is more or less irrelevant.

It's a shame someone shut Emile up. I would've liked to read tales about his sword collection. But it seems I have to read them on OXM instead.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I do know the FO community still packs some punch if we get pissed off, but I'm still hoping it won't come to that. There's really no info to go on at the moment.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

baah, Bethsoft have from the start showed that their intent is to fuck FO up.
The very moment they said <i>cross platform release</i> we all knew that we were fucked.

Let them do what they do best; make games for retarded xboxkiddies.
Fuck, most of us don't even care anymore.

It'd take a bloody miracle for me to actually buy FO3 when its done. And uless something drastically falloutish emerges I won't.

Bethsoft have, somehow, actually managed to make games dumber and dumber. And FO3 will be the new low. With great sales to show from it.

you bleeding wankers.
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

I hate the idea of fallout3 and hope it fails. The use of the Fallout name on another bling bling eye-candy Bethesda turd (that will probably end up selling more then it should) is sickening. I hate Bethesda's approach of if we add some much randomn generated shit in the game people will not notice how crappy the story is, because of all the destraction to plot progression. As far as X-Box obtaining further details, they can go get fucked.

There should be serious consideration of turning this website into a Fallout Memorial site, Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game has become a rape victim.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

someday there will be automated mod editors for your fallout3 - the nuclear cellphone and how it should have be done in first place. isometric. chunkblowing. solar plexus. ngggggg
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Well I do know the FO community still packs some punch if we get pissed off,
We could send Matrix or Hammer to solve the problem.
What can a patriot do in such harsh times? :flamed: :5 o'cock tea:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

*laughs*

Optimists. :drunk:
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

VasikkA wrote:As long as it has soil erosion, the rest is more or less irrelevant.
Soil erosion, accurate rainfall, accurate growth patterns for crops and a new feature in the pipboy that will let you manage your post-apoc combines and related agricultural equipment with ease and bada-bing you get fallout inspired John Deere farmer game.

Seriously, ive been waiting so fucking long for a fallout game that im getting desperate. I almost reached out for a copy of Fallout:Brotherhood of steel yesterday at the store but i just failed to convice myself it was worth the pain and the complete loss of money that it is.

I for one havent played oblivion, so i am not able to give my opin on if it is crap or not. Is fallout going to be a first/third person game like oblivion apparently is? Who the hell knows for sure?

I prepare myself to be flamed the hell out of this forum for saying this: but i have been waiting so goddamn long for fallout 3 (just like the rest of you of course) that im getting closer to worry about it ever being done, rather than worrying about it gonna be something that im not used to.

I agree, and i am still concerned about the fact that it is going to suck donkey turds for not capturing the same feel that FO:1 & 2 did so brilliantly. But right now i just want FO:3 in whatever form its gonna be.

Then im gonna bitch and moan + spam bethsoft inbox with rants and deaththreats.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

LoneGunman wrote:
VasikkA wrote:As long as it has soil erosion, the rest is more or less irrelevant.
Soil erosion, accurate rainfall, accurate growth patterns for crops and a new feature in the pipboy that will let you manage your post-apoc combines and related agricultural equipment with ease and bada-bing you get fallout inspired John Deere farmer game.

Seriously, ive been waiting so fucking long for a fallout game that im getting desperate. I almost reached out for a copy of Fallout:Brotherhood of steel yesterday at the store but i just failed to convice myself it was worth the pain and the complete loss of money that it is.

I for one havent played oblivion, so i am not able to give my opin on if it is crap or not. Is fallout going to be a first/third person game like oblivion apparently is? Who the hell knows for sure?

I prepare myself to be flamed the hell out of this forum for saying this: but i have been waiting so goddamn long for fallout 3 (just like the rest of you of course) that im getting closer to worry about it ever being done, rather than worrying about it gonna be something that im not used to.

I agree, and i am still concerned about the fact that it is going to suck donkey turds for not capturing the same feel that FO:1 & 2 did so brilliantly. But right now i just want FO:3 in whatever form its gonna be.

Then im gonna bitch and moan + spam bethsoft inbox with rants and deaththreats.
Why not whine now? Get a head start!

1. It should be at least an "M" game.

2. You need to be able to kill everybody.

3. World/NPC AI must be dramatically enhanced over Oblivion.
a. People should notice corpses ala Thief, Commandos, etc.

b. Missing items should be discovered. Time dependent on how obvious
the theft is. Stealing display case contents from a lobby should
be detected by the next patrol, or when a guard turns around.
Documents from a safe may be detected missing days or weeks later.
Scripting all of this would be unfeasible in the extreme, so expanding
upon the Morrowind ownership system would be required, along with
other elements. Like assigning ownership type variables, importance
variables, etc. These variables would have scope and nesting so that
if designers/level builders place items in someone's room, all items
placed in that room are assigned that person's ownership variable.
(Unless otherwise specified.) Ownership type would include "mine",
"guard", "organization/government/shared property", etc.
Similar hierarchies of relationships could be used to assign zones
or spheres of interest. These zones and spheres could cover the
inclination to get involved in fights between strangers, inclination
to report witnessed crimes (with timers for delayed divulgence),
group loyalties, security guard jurisdictions, etc.
There could even be combinational interaction. If enough "sentiment"
is expressed in a particular direction, Groupthink could set in. This
could help simulate mob formation, panic, mass hysteria, etc.
Combine that with the information waypoint system to achieve the
game of "telephone".
And so on, and so forth.

c. No ESP. Some kind of "Information Waypoint" system with a mix
of fixed-event, random, and semi-random "switches" would have to
be implemented.

d. Dialogue/rumor mills should reflect changes. This means at least
semi-dynamic parsing.

4. If combat can't be TB it should be smooth.

5. Instead of standard difficulty slider, a complexity slider that pushes the game towards Sim. CS:S----->Flashpoint (Or D&D--->Aftermath)
a. Realistic injuries, drugs, poisons, radiation effects filtered through
the retro-futurism. Yes, you can be the rock-jawed tough guy and yes
there is still radiation around 160+ years after the war. It can still be
goofy.
But I want to see limping, arms in slings, vision impairment due to
eyepatch- even graphical warping of depth perception, carrying
of wounded comrades (stretcher, fireman's carry, leaning on each other,
etc.) , vomiting from radiation or even poison/disease, pain simulation.

Of couse, this would be only if you push the slider all the way over.

If I trap somebody's favorite chair with a grenade, then later that day
when they sit down there should be a boom and chunks. I mean this
for a random target, not some scripted thing.
If I left the area, things like this would have to be calculated and fed to
the rumor mill.
Also, I want to see the FO/FO/FOT death animations in full 3D.
Guts and limbs flying in a pink mist. Oh, yes!

Fuck it, I'm tired of typing now.

I really hope this thing isn't going to be written for 10 year olds.
There should be a mature understanding of psychology, sociology, anthropology, cultural studies, and political science.

ok, maybe I'm asking too much.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Moron wrote:it'll be huge and open-ended, as that's what Bethesda does best
I... I just don't know what to say...

@Redeye:
I agree with most of what you say, but not all, especially the bit on injuries. Realistic injuries and realistic combat would be overdoing it. Of course, we don't want the mindless (as well as injuryless) hack n' slash Oblivion. Think Fallout 2, not Operation Flashpoint. Was combat in Fallout (or FoT) realistic? Better than Morrowind/Oblivion, but not realistic nevertheless. If you try to keep it realistic, you will take the emphasis off the RPG bit.

On the other hand, one thing that I actually enjoyed in Oblivion and reinstalled just to try that was the alcohol mod. You could go and get absolutely wasted and wander the streets. Did it for an hour. Uninstalled yet again.

What do you guys think of the notion of more localized quests? Remember Fallout 2, for example. In order to solve most of the quests, you didn't even need to leave the city and hardly had to return to the earlier places (hence no need for a travel option, or teleportation runes). You had to use your brain a little to figure them out. Bring out the comparison with Oblivion, in which the first 5 quests, or so meant that you had to do some FedEx to the other end of the empire. I wish Bethesda stepped back from this FedEx thing a little and made more intelligent (and localized!) quests.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I think a lot of local type quests will be expected I hope. I haven't really played morrowind or oblivion much.

Conspiracy Theory: Awhile ago there was that interview with Todd Howard and rosh complained about Todd uncertainty when talking about FO3. Rosh perdicted that Todd hadn't been working on FO3, and now we find out that FO3 has only been in development "under the direction of Todd Howard" since late 2006. So Toddd Howard probably hasn't done much shit with Fo3 until recently.

Rosh predicted the future.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

(sorta) unrelated, but i thought the series of ncr-vault city-new reno-redding diplomatic quests in fallout 2 (killing raiders, doing stuff for lynette / bishop, etc.) were some of the best in the game, and i think it would be nice if political/diplomat-type characters had more options like this. i agree that lameass fedex quests should be kept to a minimum though.
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
but that is what bethesda does best.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:

@Redeye:
I agree with most of what you say, but not all, especially the bit on injuries. Realistic injuries and realistic combat would be overdoing it. Of course, we don't want the mindless (as well as injuryless) hack n' slash Oblivion. Think Fallout 2, not Operation Flashpoint. Was combat in Fallout (or FoT) realistic? Better than Morrowind/Oblivion, but not realistic nevertheless. If you try to keep it realistic, you will take the emphasis off the RPG bit.

I was rambling and forgot to specify that the uber-realism would only occur when the slider was all the way to the right.
Instead of (or in addition to) an Easy---->Hard difficulty setting, you would have a realism/complexity setting. Perhaps "Game"---->"Simulation"
would be a better expression.

The increased lethality of FoT over FO/FO2 would be an acceptable substitute.
ODing was annoying, but added grit.
Grit was what FoT had in place of Falloutness.

My two favorite FoT mods, Quagmire and "What?", had the BoS as rather
unsavory.

An optional food system would be nice.
Especially with stuff like sugar, honey, and spices.
To counter the putridness of the common diet, these would be quite valuable.
Medieval Europe apparently owed a good chunk of its non-subsistence economy to this.

It would be cool if instead of caps or cash, "Jerky bits" were a form of currency (having both protein and status value- meat is much less efficient to produce than basic foods.). Higher forms of currency would be fuel and precious metals.
By "currency" I mean things that would be traded for even if they were not actually needed because they signify abstract value that can be theoretically exchanged for goods and services at some future date.
In the Wasteland, "abstract value" alone would be inadequate, so useful materials with long-storage properties would have to be used as stand-ins,
except for super-traditional currency like gold/silver/jewelry.
Sure, regular barter is vitally important.
But not everyone is going to need/want/afford the available barter items.
So you have Barter Items and Currency, the Currency being: Precious Metals, Fuel/Raw Energy, and High-Value-Long-Storage-Food.
Perhaps hardtack could supplement jerky.
People you barter with can look at hardtack and think: "eeewww"; but a part of their Wasteland-conditioned minds will think "this represents non-degrading sustenance". They can stash it and feel safe that if there is a drought or a blight or a need to flee, they will have the backup resources to tough it out.
zhurriethegoblin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by zhurriethegoblin »

well.... that just makes me wanna hunt down a couple of beathsoft employes and GUN THEM DOWN
with my full auto tommy chambered for 22. (the only good use for 22.cal)

SPRAY AND PRAY!!!

but ill wait for FO3, if its good, then great....
if it stinks dont pick it if it crawls , lick it.
Our Host!