Avault really, really, really brief first look

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Avault really, really, really brief first look

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

While happy browsing around, I noticed <a href="Http://avault.com">Avault</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews. ... 928">first look</a> at <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com/">Lionheart</a>. It's basically a revised list of features and <a href="http://www.avault.com/news/avscreenshot ... &num=1">14 Screenshots</a>, some new and never been seen, some not. It is interesting to to see how the 3D character models look though. From the shots, I can't tell they're 3D at all, and that's a good thing.<br><br><i>I dedicate this news post to the anonymous guy that doesn't like <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com/">Lionheart</a> news.</i>
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

That's because, from what I've gathered, they're somehow pre-rendered on the fly.
It was either a poor choice of wording or totally wrong information but that's what I believe to have read.
The character models in Lionheart are rendered in 3D, then put in the scene as a 2D image, so the main memory hit is in RAM.
I mean...I do suppose it's just poor wording on Sawyer's part, but I'm not sure.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

That's a killer technology if that's true.
------------------
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Just taking a look at the features there:
avault wrote: Lioheart Features:

Rules from Fallout 1 adapted to a real-time fantasy setting
30 skills
40 perks
15 traits
Classless system
Advance as high as level 60
Eight major areas consisting of 80 levels
Fast-paced combat
Dialogue interaction (There'd better be :twisted: )
NPCs can join and fight alongside the player
Up to four players can complete the game cooperatively
Random item generator
2D rendered backgrounds with 3D characters
Four different player races
Over 50 enemies
Over 30 spells
I see the number of "Variations of bad guys" has dropped from 100 to 50 now? And..... They didn't call the Fallout System "super-cool". Why, I do believe reflexive are getting better at this business or avault left that bit out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:That's a killer technology if that's true.
Makes sense. Position the 3d actor in a position in a virtual setting, take a "snapshot" of percieved angle, and then display the "snapshot" into the game for the player.

I can see where this would be rather RAM intensive, as it's all hidden from the player until they see the end result, and the "snapshot" has to calculate what the player sees from the POV and then render it in real-time with all the changes in angles of the actors.

A clever way of bypassing the "2d is bad" myth, at the cost of more RAM being needed. This would also allow a LOT more angles to be calculated, and if you're willing to up the refresh time of the snapshot technique at the possible cost of performance, the 2d render could be represented smoothly or nearly so, skeleton modeling permitting.
Ravenclaw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ravenclaw »

But...But...This is not Fallout Fantasy! THis is just a graphicaly superior baldurs gate 2 clone!
:halfrobot: We are the BrotherHood Of Steel Reaver division! Resistance is futile! :robot:
£0£ in the face of the :evil: evil $atan$oft!

Frag American Bootcamps! :fist:
Just look at this! It is Son Goku-> :silly:
People who say that Baldurs Gate rocks Fallout make me wanna go :rofl:
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Rosh wrote:Makes sense. Position the 3d actor in a position in a virtual setting, take a "snapshot" of percieved angle, and then display the "snapshot" into the game for the player.
That involves an extra step which could be avoided by simply rendering on the map surface... Although it might be neccessary to allow their own anti-aliasing technique. In fac the secondary surface would only be needed for that, and given this is the case, then you can be sure that it doesn't take much RAM, as it would simply render a single frame (to be anti-aliased onto the playing canvas). There is no reason to pre-render everything in RAM as that would just waste the RAM and introduce waiting times to pre-render efverything when loading the levels (or changing the parameters of the characters -say they change weapons).
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Lioheart Features:

Rules from Fallout 1 adapted to a real-time fantasy setting
I prefer a post apocalyptic setting thank you.
30 skills
How many skills does it take to hack and slash?
40 perks
Big deal
15 traits
So that's about...5 useless ones?
Classless system
Advance as high as level 60
In fallout 2 you could get to level 100
Eight major areas consisting of 80 levels
how big are these levels?
Fast-paced combat
Like Diablo? U83R-C00L!!!
Dialogue interaction
Every rpg should have
NPCs can join and fight alongside the player
woah, that's new :roll:
Up to four players can complete the game cooperatively
just like diablo 2!? U83R-C00L!!!11
Random item generator
that should be fun :roll:
2D rendered backgrounds with 3D characters
Four different player races
Human...ghoul....mutant....deathclaw, I mean, human, elf, ogre and demon
Over 50 enemies
ooo
Over 30 spells
How many weapons? How different are these 'spells'?
:chew:
Red

Post by Red »

Pyro wrote:Up to four players can complete the game cooperatively
just like diablo 2!? U83R-C00L!!!11
Don't denigrate that feature. I would of loved to be able to play a lot of games in multiplayer but couldn't. And yes, even TURNED BASED GAMES. Time I spent waiting for people in Heroes of Might and Magic is countless, and I ENJOYED IT! For TB MP games though, make sure the game alt-tabs properly given you want to do osmething else, and give some limited control whilst in it.

Re: Avault really, really, really brief first look

Post by Guest »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:While happy browsing around, I noticed <a href="Http://avault.com">Avault</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews. ... 928">first look</a> at <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com/">Lionheart</a>. It's basically a revised list of features and <a href="http://www.avault.com/news/avscreenshot ... &num=1">14 Screenshots</a>, some new and never been seen, some not. It is interesting to to see how the 3D character models look though. From the shots, I can't tell they're 3D at all, and that's a good thing.<br><br><i>I dedicate this news post to the anonymous guy that doesn't like <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com/">Lionheart</a> news.</i>
Saint-man, thanks for the dedication! ;)

Now, people. Don´t get me wrong. I´m not some vandal or something. I´m a fan who´d kill for Fallout. I simply don´t like it to see news of other games on the best Fallout site, at least it used to be that. But, I guess it´s hard to be good when there´s nothing to report on.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I just posted some news about a poll for you. :)
------------------
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Anonymous wrote: Now, people. Don´t get me wrong. I´m not some vandal or something. I´m a fan who´d kill for Fallout. I simply don´t like it to see news of other games on the best Fallout site, at least it used to be that.
If you want more specific Fallout-Only news, try No Mutants Allowed.
Anonymous wrote: But, I guess it´s hard to be good when there´s nothing to report on.
Now, as far as I'm concerned, news about a game nick-named "Fallout Fantasy" that's likely to see features that will be put into Fallout 3 (SPECIAL system real-time) is Fallout news. True, all the Lionheart stuff can be a bit much at times (especially when we got told of every thread where Cabal breathes a word), but as far as I'm concerned, some news is better than no news. Anyway, No Mutants Allowed sounds like the place you want.
Mad
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mad »

The first damn thing on their page is Lionheart related news... Specific alrighty.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Mad wrote:
The first damn thing on their page is Lionheart related news... Specific alrighty.
More on SPECIAL in Lionheart

So now tell me, what game do know that we all play and love and it uses the SPECIAL system? Come on, tell me. Tell me. Don't be afraid. Anything about SPECIAL has the potential to impact on SPECIAL once it's used in Fallout 3. Thus SPECIAL = Fallout news.

However, the news in here about the Lionheart timeline don't have much to do with Fallout.
Mad
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mad »

Yadda-yadda-yaaaaa
Our Host!