FO3 the prequel?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Crazy-Cabal
SDF!
SDF!

FO3 the prequel?

Post by Crazy-Cabal »

Well I always thought it would be interesting to learn about the wasteland before like say right when the first vaults were opened. Along the times Harold was talking about (Interesting sidenote for an NPC: Young Harold! He could hire you out as one of the many caravan guards that you needed to make a deal back then) when the first vaults were opening. You could see interesting wreckage of the Last War (Not useable, don't want people running around with hover-tanks or whatever the hell they used to knock the snot out of eachother in the annexed Canada) and see the sights. Get mutated! Encounter the first signs of the super mutant threat! Pick up a slightly higher level of tech than the other Fallout games! Of course I could just be wrong-headed about this and needing more sleep but it might be an interesting idea. Any thoughts?
Happiness is a Waxen Two-Headed Baby
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Fun... Maybe for a time, but then it would get boring because you'd know the future and the game propably starts repeating itself after a while.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

No.

It would be called Fallout Zero.

Otherwise, good idea. There are quite a few unanswered questions about the beginning, but there would have to be a new enemy, because i don't think mutants are going to cut it. Of course, then again, maybe someone could figure something out. There will have to be plenty of well-armed raiders. (Like in the BoS reports.)

Kinda like Zork Zero, right?
(Not sure if there was a Zork Zero, but if there wasn't there probably should have been one.)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Kashluk wrote:Fun... Maybe for a time, but then it would get boring because you'd know the future and the game propably starts repeating itself after a while.
Well, like I said in an earlier post, making a prequel is hard to do without screwing up continuity. I think the Deathclaws in FOT, who could talk despite that talking deathclaws didn't exist until the Enclave made them long after Fallout Tactics takes place, is a prime example of a big continuity error.
------------------
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: I think the Deathclaws in FOT, who could talk despite that talking deathclaws didn't exist until the Enclave made them long after Fallout Tactics takes place, is a prime example of a big continuity error.
But not an error you'd make if you knew Fallout well enough. With a prequel you could avoid the advanced technology and civilization that made Fallout 2, and you could present an actual wasteland. The "wasteland" in Fallout 2 was a bit lacking.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Kashluk wrote:Fun... Maybe for a time, but then it would get boring because you'd know the future and the game propably starts repeating itself after a while.
Well, like I said in an earlier post, making a prequel is hard to do without screwing up continuity. I think the Deathclaws in FOT, who could talk despite that talking deathclaws didn't exist until the Enclave made them long after Fallout Tactics takes place, is a prime example of a big continuity error.
I didn't know FO:T took place before FO2!!! 8O
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

In fact I think it's to the range of a few years after FO(don't know for sure, perhaps a couple). It has something to do with that threat discussed in FO, they're send to research.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I've read somewhere that FO:T is between FO and FO2, not sure where though.

I think it was something offical. Maybe the product discription of FO:T

I bet continuity errors can be avoided if the game designers are careful.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

It takes place 40 years after FO2, IIRC. Which makes it even more discontinuous from real FO because I doubt the BOS would be chasing mutants into the wasteland decades after the Master was destroyed.
fuck
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Radoteur wrote:I've read somewhere that FO:T is between FO and FO2, not sure where though.
That'd explain why the BOS weren't really much of a force in FO2 then. Too busy worried about their lost brothers.... Flying Zeppelins all over the place looking for them I suppose.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

it would be kinda cool, but it would get pretty repeditive...

once the bombs are dropped you either get cooked or spend your life in a vault (hopefully not the one with only men :x )

but it is almost predictable that you will end up in vault13, pretty much no question.

ect, ect..

but it might be fun to play the first time! :wink:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Might be intresting as a sort of intro/training.

Mabye set pre-war or something and your actions they're decide certain stuff in the future (mabye if you leave a microwave door open, or decide to mabye talk to someone and stop them from noticing a small red warning light.)it could either alter terrain slightly (radiation count, amount of people/items/enemys) and also mabye decide some perks about your charecter. Like if you play a game of darts, in the future your charecter gains +10% on throwing.

It could end with a warning bell going off and you have to rush for a vault, then flashes up fallout 3 and the proper game starts.
:chew:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

that would be pretty cool... chaos theory and such

but it would be nearly impossible to make..

that would be really cool, actually
Our Host!