Campaign End Cancellation... I guess.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Campaign End Cancellation... I guess.

Post by Manoil »

I plan on adding onto the FoT campaign later on, but for now, is it possible to simply cancel the game from ending after the completion of the last mission with the calculator?

I understand that you would need to avoid entering the Cheyenne Mountains level as well as the two others that branch from it (unless you made custom exit grids), but is it possible to remove whatever triggers end the game after dealing with the calculator?

If so, can any of you be kind enough to post the start and end points? Or is that too much to ask?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

You don't need to avoid any of the maps or add exit grids. Just open up the final map mission26 and in the triggers section there are five triggers labelled victory.

Edit each of these and change the action end mission win screen and choose world map from the pull down list. That'll take you back to the world map, or you can make it take you directly to a new mission. Just don't try taking the player to a bunker or map previously visited or you'll most likely set up a feedback loop.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Awesome.
So should I try to set up a new bunker? Or will that still not allow me to visit the previous bunkers?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

You would still be able to visit the old bunkers, but it would be best to add a new bunker if you wanted to keep the format of visiting a general for new missions unless you edit the existing bunkers to add new quests etc.

What you could do is open the final few maps tiles only (deleting the entities and triggers) and then rename these and perhaps edit the tilework and then use them as your new bunker. You would then be able to use the go to mission command to teleport the player to the new version rather than the end mission go to world map.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

...Well... here's an idea.

Is it possible to remove the level zones of Vault 0 and the Calculator's lair after completion, and have a new BoS base situated where they were? It would coincide with the story, as well as provide a new base of ops that would be good for missions on the far west of the map.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Manoil, you can do pretty much anything with the FOT map editor. If you're gonna start a mod or whatnot, count me in. :eyebrow:
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Manoil wrote:...Well... here's an idea.

Is it possible to remove the level zones of Vault 0 and the Calculator's lair after completion, and have a new BoS base situated where they were? It would coincide with the story, as well as provide a new base of ops that would be good for missions on the far west of the map.
:?: I'm not sure I get you? As I said above you can open the existing vault 0 maps using the open tiles only option, which will remove the existing scripting, zones and actors giving you a blank map/s to use for your new bunker. It's a lot easier to start a fresh with a blank map than to try and cram in the extra scripting and actors.

Then you can change the triggers in the final mission to teleport the character to the new version of vault 0 (perhaps while the end movie plays). Then just add the new locations to the campaign bos.cam file along with your new missions. While it won't be a seamless transition the player will still be in Vault 0 and can then get their new mission objectives and leave for the world map and return as they wish.

Since the vault 0 maps were the end I think they were already hidden on the world map so you can just place the new bunker over them and make it visible. Perhaps adding a campaign variable to cheyenne mountain so that if you return there you will get transported to the new version of vault 0 after completing the original campaign.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

But that's just it. Were they just invisible when you haven't gotten that far yet? Will they still be there when the mission ends? I think I follow you but I'm not sure if I know the way.

In any case... I really am having trouble understanding what needs to be done from your advice, but tomorrow night I'll be back at my comp with Tactics, and I'll get to editing it based on the instructions. Thanks for the help so far man.

And when you are able, do you think you'd be able to get me numbered/bulleted directions for what needs to be done?

If not, I understand. Just checkin with ya.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

All missions are invisible, except for Brahmin Wood, until you've unlocked them and unlocking is done via triggers and not automatic. So since you don't return to the world map and go directly to vault 0 from cheyenne mountain and again directly to the calculator's lair I doubt they would of added the triggers to make them visible on the world map, especially since they didn't even bother to give the final area a text label. Even if they did it would only be a matter of deleting or editing those triggers.

What needs to be done is dependent on exactly what you want to happen. If you want bullet point answers you'll need to give bullet point questions.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Aw naw, man. I was saying bulletpoint the instructions to this whole... remove trigger, add base thing.

The only remaining questions, for now anyway, are

1- So even if the new base overlaps the hidden spots, and the map pointer lands in the hidden levels, you will still only enter the BoS bunker just set up?

2- Is it possible to make additional Special Encounters?

3- I know nobody's made any new vehicles. I'm just wondering whether or not it could be done. If I investigated which files were involved in vehicle data and registry, and got ahold of a model/ 3D editting software, would you be interested in helping trying to predict, test, and document the steps?
It's a HELLUVA long way to go, but if you're down for it, I will be.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Manoil wrote:Aw naw, man. I was saying bulletpoint the instructions to this whole... remove trigger, add base thing.
Open up the final mission and look for the five triggers labelled 'Victory' then in the list of actions for each trigger delete the command 'End Mission Win Screen' and add the command 'Go to Mission #'. # being the name of the new bunker you'll create and add to the campaign text, in the same format as the existing missions/bunkers.
// BUNKER MISSION DEFINITIONS

"campaigns/missions/core/bunker01.mis;mission_name_B01;25;covered;true",
Once you've edited the campaign text you can open up bos.cam in the campaign editor and go 'Tools', 'Import Core' and then choose your edited text file. Once the new core mission list has been imported you can then add the new locations to the map.
Manoil wrote:1- So even if the new base overlaps the hidden spots, and the map pointer lands in the hidden levels, you will still only enter the BoS bunker just set up?
If the levels aren't visible on the world map they can't be entered via the world map IIRC. Since the last two missions are accessed via the go to command rather than using the open mission or set mission state triggers you shouldn't be able to return to them. Just to be safe when you add the go to mission command to the victory triggers also add two new commands. Using the commands set mission state uncovered for the new bunker, and set mission complete for the original final missions.
Manoil wrote:2- Is it possible to make additional Special Encounters?
Yes, since you're editing the campaign text, and bos.cam anyway you can add more encounters, and probably fix the bug that causes the game to crash once you've found them all to boot.
Manoil wrote:3- I know nobody's made any new vehicles. I'm just wondering whether or not it could be done. If I investigated which files were involved in vehicle data and registry, and got ahold of a model/ 3D editting software, would you be interested in helping trying to predict, test, and document the steps?
It's a HELLUVA long way to go, but if you're down for it, I will be.
Dak has produced a prototype new vehicle (he only had 4 directions) so perhaps contact him. Probably there are some in the works, but the amount of work to produce all the necessary renders in all the needed directions for all the umpteen animations, well you'll need someone more graphically minded than me.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

It's cool man, thanks. Appreciate it.
But yeah. I'll see what I can come up with on my spare time.
Our Host!