New Tactics SP Campaign in the works...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
pogostickpirate
SDF!
SDF!

New Tactics SP Campaign in the works...

Post by pogostickpirate »

Ahoy,

Thanks largely to all the excellent info and tutorials around here and over on NMA, I'm working on a new SP campaign and I thought I'd share that joyful news with you guys. ;)

The campaign is tenatively titled "The Reconquest", and I'm planning it to be around ten missions long. Relatively short, but achievable. I'm still working on the story details, but gameplay-wise, I don't want to stray from what made Tactics so much fun (for me, at least). Namely, shooting. Story and thematically, I want to create a more military, "part of a larger struggle" feeling, rather than the lone adventurers feel of Tactics.

As a teaser, here's the campaign map:

It's significantly smaller than the original campaign map, but the missions will be much more densely arranged.

I'll post more info as it's ready. I want to have the first level ready as a download in a week or two, provided I can put enough time into it.

Cheers,

pogostickpirate
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Keep up the good work :salute:
Looking forward to this.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

As am I. A lot of guys around here aren't fans of Tactics, but there are some patriots among us. :salute:
pogostickpirate
SDF!
SDF!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Finished up a few portraits tonight, here's a sample:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

These will likely be for recruits, maybe one or two for Prefab characters.I have a couple more to make for story characters, etc.

Story-wise, the basic synopsis is that before the bombs, the US annexed Canada in a search for more resources and in response to the Chinese invasion of Alaska. A group of resistance cells and survivalist camps banded together to create the Northern Liberation League, vowing to fight the 'invaders'. After the apocalypse, the League remained largely intact, most of their assests and personel scattered through the Canadian wilderness, while the occupying armies fell apart, many becoming little more than reavers and bandit camps. On the west coast, Vancouver has now become a ruin inhabited by the tribal descendants of the citizens, and fought over by rival bandits and ex-Army warlords. The League makes efforts to onto the northern parts of the city, but recently the bandits and warlords have begun banding together and moving north in great strength across the former US-Canada border, displaced by the advancing supermutants fleeing the Brotherhood of Steel. Vowing to liberate their city and begin rebuilding, the League begins The Reconquest.

I'm taking a lot of inspiration from movies like Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, the Warhammer "Gaunt's Ghosts" book series, games like Company of Heroes, and battlefields like Stalingrad. The idea is to make the player a member of a larger army fighting to reclaim a city block by bloody block. As such, the missions will be more combat- and military-oriented, rather than commando raids.

Cheers,

pogostickpirate
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Sounds most bitchin', keep us posted!
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Sign me up! I'll help map for you. I can trigger, dialogue, every fuckin thing with the editor.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Sounds very interesting. I, for one, wait for more info :)
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Awesome dude. Doubt I can be of much help but if the time comes you need something I'll gladly see what I can do to assist.

In the meantime, keep up the good work
TheCynic
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by TheCynic »

Is that Ashton Kutcher with a helmet and sunglasses??
"Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects." -- Roger Zelazny
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

TheCynic wrote:Is that Ashton Kutcher with a helmet and sunglasses??
HOLY SHIT You're right
Scorpion
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Scorpion »

Was thinking Bam Margera.....

Looks nothing like Ashton...
DAC- For all your fallout needs.

^ No, it's not for all your fallout needs. I think this site attracts more swell guy, shitheads, losers, and thread-hijackers than it does Fallout fans. This site should be renamed the Steamy pile of Horse shit or aka SPHS- For all your not-Fallout needs.
pogostickpirate
SDF!
SDF!

Manoil wrote:
TheCynic wrote:Is that Ashton Kutcher with a helmet and sunglasses??
HOLY SHIT You're right

That's me, with a WWII helmet and goggles. :? I can't say I've ever been compared to Ashton before... ;)

After a bit of a hiatus while I moved, work has resumed. A lot of what I've done so far has been on paper (level layouts, campaign flow, dialog, etc), so I don't have much I can show right now, except for some stuff from the first level.

The minimap:

It just occured to me that I should probably mirror the image to fit with the level...

And the level so far (it's still quite rough):

Manoil and SniperPotato, thanks for the offers of help. Did you guys have anything in particular you can/want to do? Mapping is the most time consuming thing, so it's where I'd most want to share the workload, but any help is good help. :D

Cheers,

pogostickpirate
Our Host!