why do vaults not have doors

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Demon-X
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

why do vaults not have doors

Post by Demon-X »

I'm sure this has been raised before, but why the hell isnt there a main door ent,tile for FOT.

I mean Micro Forte made the entrance frame/walls for a vault but they left out the door. is it hidden in the *.bos files some where perhaps?

Any ideas guys?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

You have all of the raw materials you need to create a Vault Door entity. Here's what you have to do:
  • Create a "Door" entity. (Note: Not a Rotating Door, just a plain jane "Door".)
  • Set the various fields to whatever setting you like, for instance "Auto Close" and "Sensor Range". Most of these can be altered from the Level Editor to suit particular conditions, though.
  • The sprite for the door is located at: sprites/doors/Vault DOORS/Entrance.spr. So you'll have to have your sprite files unpacked to access it.
  • Save the file, place it on your map and viola! you are ready to go.
Some advice:

You will note that in the RPGs there were lights that turned on outside of the Vault Doors when the door was open and were off when it was closed. This is easily accomplished with scripting in FoT. All you have to do is to tag some lights that you have set up in the appropriate area and have the condition for a trigger be the Object Script State of the Vault Door. When the door's OSS is ticked/checked the lights are ticked/checked and vice versa.

You can also do something like setting up a Science Switch entity to control the door. (I recommend this.) You can then have the Science Switch's OSS control the door, and even have a mission variable which is tripped by a generator being "on" or "off" that, together with the OSS of the Science Switch controls the OSS of the door.

If you run into more problems, you know where we are.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Demon-X
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Demon-X »

Ta OTB i'll try that when I get the time
Our Host!