Tony Jay dies

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Tony Jay dies

Post by Ausir »

<strong>[ Person -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Tony Jay">Person: Tony Jay</a>

<p>Tony Jay, who voiced the Lieutenant in <em>Fallout </em>and the Narrator in <em>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel</em> (because they couldn't afford Ron Perlman) died on Sunday. He has also voiced dozens of charactes in other video games and cartoons.</p><p>Rest in peace, Lieutenant.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/death/vide ... aku</a></p>
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

*laughs*
:chew:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

giggles
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Don't forget Megabyte.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

can yo y forget something if you enecvr knew it in the first place so please explain to me what is megatbyete
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Hm, didn't know that he was the chap who did The Transcendent One. What a guy. :salute:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

can yo y forget something if you enecvr knew it in the first place so please explain to me what is megatbyete
A megabyte is a unit of information or computer storage equal to approximately one million bytes. It is commonly abbreviated MB. Mb is used for megabits.

Because of inconsistencies in the use of SI-derived prefixes such as kilo- and mega-, the exact number can be any one of the following:

1. 1,048,576 bytes (1,0242, 220): This definition is used for nearly all discussions of computer memory (as computer addresses are naturally powers of two, making it efficient to manufacture memory in power-of-two capacities) and file storage. As of 2005, most software uses this definition to express storage capacity (e.g. file size).
2. 1,000,000 bytes (1,0002, 106): This is the definition recommended by SI and IEC. It is used primarily in networking contexts and most storage media, particularly hard drives and DVDs. This definition of 'mega-' as a SI prefix is consistent with the other SI prefixes, and with many other uses of the prefix in computing, such as CPU clock speeds or measures of performance.
3. 1,024,000 bytes (1,024�1,000): This definition occurs rarely. It was used in a small number of storage contexts, most notably the "1.44 MB" (actually 1,474,560 bytes), and the "3.5-inch" (actually 90 mm) high-density floppy diskette.

Several attempts to resolve these inconsistencies have been proposed, most notably the standard created by the IEC to redefine 1,048,576 bytes as a "mebibyte". This standard has been adopted by several organizations, such as the NIST and IEEE.

Usually, the storage capacities of hardware devices such as hard drives are given as 1 megabyte = 1,000,000 bytes (especially for items made in Japan, as Japan has standardized on the metric definition). Other capacities, such as for the RAM capacity of most personal computers, are given as 1 megabyte = 1,048,576 bytes (known unambiguously as a "mebibyte").

Depending on compression methods and file format, a megabyte of data can roughly hold:

* One larger book (excluding images)
* One "typical" sized photograph with reasonably good quality
* A hundred small images
* Roughly, a minute of near CD-quality MP3 compressed music (at 128 kbit/s)

A digital photograph produced by a typical digital camera in 2005 might be 1–4 MB depending on the camera's image resolution and level of compression used.

Until the introduction of hard drives with a capacity of one gigabyte or more, the capacity of hard drives was measured in megabytes.

Note that computer memory is addressed in base 2, due to its design, so memory size is always a power of two. It is thus convenient to measure in binary units. Other computer measurements, like storage hardware size, data transfer rates, clock speeds, operations per second, and so on do not have an inherent base, and are usually measured in decimal units. Consumers who are (initially) unaware of varying meanings of the abbreviations often feel shortchanged when they discover the difference, and claim that manufacturers of drives and data transfer devices are using the decimal measurements in an intentionally misleading way to inflate their numbers, though these measurements are the norm in all fields other than computer memory and storage.

For instance, if a hard drive is said by a vendor to store 140 GB of data, the disk can store 140�109 bytes. Generally, operating systems allocate and report disk and files sizes in binary units, and present them using abbreviations (e.g GB, MB, KB) also used by the decimal system, so this drive would be reported as "130 GB" (actually 130.36 GiB). Some have even sued these manufacturers for deceptive advertising, because of the discrepancy. (Furthermore, the drive wouldn't be able to store files with a total filesize of 130.36 GiB, either, due to filesystem overhead.)

If the standard IEC prefixes were used universally, much of this confusion would be eliminated.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

forget about dre
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Voice acting should be done by computers now adays anyways.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

He was the trancendant one in PS:T wasn't he? Shame to see him go, though I doubt the games he voiced in meant as much to him as they did to us (aside from earning him money, of course).
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Take me to the Lieu has a whole new meaning now.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

:salute:
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Mithras. Good voice.

Serious Business.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

We should find out where he is buried and start a picture thread of pilgrimages. Midnight drinks, leave one for the departed.

Don't forget to water the bouquet.

Then belch.

Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Tony Jay is dead, long live Tony Jay.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Where Harry take you now? :sad:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Truly, truly... :salute:

Wait though... he was Megabyte, too? Jesus.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Re: Tony Jay dies

Post by PiP »

Ausir wrote:<strong>[ Person -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Tony Jay">Person: Tony Jay</a>

<p>Tony Jay, who voiced the Lieutenant in <em>Fallout </em>and the Narrator in <em>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel</em> (because they couldn't afford Ron Perlman) died on Sunday. He has also voiced dozens of charactes in other video games and cartoons.</p><p>Rest in peace, Lieutenant.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/death/vide ... aku</a></p>
why does the "more info" link point to this very thread? :giggle:
Scorpion
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Scorpion »

Harry won't have anyone to take you to anymore....

;[ I feel like crying for someone I never knew existed..
DAC- For all your fallout needs.

^ No, it's not for all your fallout needs. I think this site attracts more swell guy, shitheads, losers, and thread-hijackers than it does Fallout fans. This site should be renamed the Steamy pile of Horse shit or aka SPHS- For all your not-Fallout needs.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Scorpion wrote:Harry won't have anyone to take you to anymore....

;[ I feel like crying for someone I never knew existed..
So, you're "pro-life"?
Our Host!