Your favorite character layouts

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

i agree with lynxer in the fact that i think that 6CH is excessive...
i played FOT with 2 CH and then with 10CH and the only difference was that i got new recruits faster...

but still the reaper...
your char looks better but why LK 2? that makes sniper practically usless and means you will hardley get criticals...
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

I never got the sniper perk, I though it didn't work, until I recently read that it does. I'm gonna change my character soon. I never was concerned about Lk as my char was doing so much damage that a critical didn't matter.
Cakes
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cakes »

I disagree. While CH certainly could be more useful, the Leader Perk is really good (it's +10 AC and +1 AG not +5 as the manual and game state) and getting those recruites earlier means you have more time in which to advance them, and you can form your completed squad earlier. It's too bad Team Player doesn't seem to work, or else that might be a nice one to have as well (depending on how close you have to be).
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

yes the leader perk is rather useful but it depends what stat you sacrifice to get it... Also CH dosen't get you as many useful perks as the other stats... your choice...
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Also, a REALLY high Ch skill (9) will get you Divine Favour! +1 to your best stat and perks every other level if you're human.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

i agree with reaper, divine favour is a great perk.
i usually play as a sniper and use squadmembers to do heavy attacks.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

I am the other way around, I keep some snipers back and do a tactical assault, works every time if you know really good tactics in real life. Like me 8).
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

ST 6

PE 6

EN 7

IN 8

CH 4

AG 10

LC 6

Tags: Small Guns, Energy Weapons, Throwing
Traits: Gifted, Fast Shot

Playing a Sniper guy, but use grenades too. I take always the Sniper perk once I can have it. I use also Bonus RoF and usually Toughness, sometimes Packrat and Nightvision.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

I gots a new layout (FOT only):

ST 9
PE 8
EN 6
CH 4
IN 10
AG 8
LK 2

Or something like that...

Tags:
Small Guns, Big Guns, Barter

Traits:
Gifted, Fast Shot

The way I conduct combat:
One man attacks, blows people away until his health is in the red... then pull them out and send in a small group - shotgunner or machingunner in front and sniper in back (rarely a 3 man squad, it's hard to get 3 people to go in different places and arrive all at the same time... they really need a player-controlled waypoint engine like C&C:TS).

Can't usually ambush because enemies always tend to stop running right before they come into my LOF, they dont chase me for some reason... I think the only guys who ever did chase me were melee-based attackers.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Gifted and Fast Shot seem to be the most popular traits that are chosen. Can't say as I blame people, they are definately the best traits. In Fo1&2 I always had two of three: Gifted, Fast Shot, Bloody Mess. I liked bloody mess because then I thought it looked cool.
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

by the time you get divine favour, you only get 1 extra perk to what you would normally get if you didn't get divine favour - due to the level 24 cap

kamikaze is a useful trait to take if you are a long range sniper character

also if like me, you always attack at night, night person is also a pretty useful trait for those stealthy sniper/thief types - give him/her silent running and you've got yourself a hit and run machine
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

The experience cap that I have found is level 50. I got my main character to level 50 and all the others to level 46-49 divine favour really does make the difference.
AssasS|N_69
SDF!
SDF!

Post by AssasS|N_69 »

In reply to what the reaper said on page 2 about the tactics.

1) you could do like the omaha beach the go crazy.........then get slaughtered.

2) get 1 guy on sneak and 2 in diff possitions (preferably 1 being a sniper) and the other one ready to either throw a grenade/open fire use the guy on sneak to surprize one guy, then the sniper backs the main guy in the assult

3)run in with a squad full of bazookamen (people with bazookas on them whoops) then...........you guessed it GO MENTAL! :twisted:

and the last one i can think of right now...the opposite of no.2
Aim a little left...maybe right...no its definantly left...*BLAM*...dude! you shot the quartermaster
Rydiak
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Rydiak »

S: 6
P: 6
E: 4
C: 7
I: 7
A: 5
L: 5

Traits: One Hander, Finesse

Tags: Small Guns, Science, Barter

I usually have always gone the "people person" route, so this build has served me well. I enjoy using One Hander with a tag on Small Guns in case "things get rough". I've always liked Science (get to tinker with things :P) and Barter helps get items for cheap (useful in a land where money is rare). Finesse has always been there for me, from what I've experience. Just when I need it, I KO someone, or break their arms. Later on, I grab Master Trader, which really helps with its boost. I've had fun with this char in FO and FO2, and I'm currently testing this build (as opposed to my previous combat char) in FOT. Wish me luck :D
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

I dusted it off and am running through it again. My favorite is:

S : 5
P : 8
E : 2
C : 8
I : 10
A : 8
L : 6

Traits: Kamikaze, Gifted
Tags: Small Guns, Doctor, Sneak
Perks: Leader, Sharpshooter, Tag: Energy Weapons, Divine Favor, Bonus Rate of Fire, Bonus Ranged Damage x2, Action Boy x2

I could get away with taking a couple of points from Charisma and putting them in Agility, but I just like getting tons of promotions. Plus it just seems more appropriate for a squad commander to be charismatic. He makes an outstanding sniper and doctor, anyway. I always take and keep Mandy since she's one of the best recruits in the game IMO, so between the two of them they can handle all the healing skills, and I'm not forced to bring along one of those sorry ass medics like Stitch.

As far as traits, I'd take Fast Shot and Kamikaze both if you could take 3 traits, but I think Kamikaze is slightly more useful since it lets you conserve ammo by taking enemies out with fewer shots, plus the damage bonus really helps you plow through heavy armor.
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

Me its

ST 6 (lets me use the SAW and NRG weapons)
PE 8/9 (more likely to hit)
EN 4 (life giver)
CH 8 (divine favor and fast promotion)
IN 10 (gotta love those skill points)
LK 2 (screw criticals)

Gifted, FastShot

I used to think that Charisma was useless, learned its godlike, and i used to think Luck was useful, learned its crap until you get sniper which is like the 24th level, and unlike FO2 when you could wander and wander and wander, to get to level 24, in FOT its harder to get to level 24 quickly.
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

Whoops forgot, a Agility of 8 and my tags are Small Guns, Big Guns, and Barter.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Change barter to gamble, trust me, it works better in the long run.
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

But i dunno, i don't want to have to treck all the way back the the 3rd bunker just to be able to get stuff for free. I'm currently at the last level and i have 100k + script and my squad is fully equiped with 4 suits of AV PA, 2 suits of PA, and all of the good weapons.
Our Host!