Quick question!

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Quick question!

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I finished Fallout 2 yesterday and I'm starting again now, but with a different character. I've never played with high luck, so I want to try it this time. I read in Per's guide that a "weird brain alignment" gives you +2 LUCK? How can I get that, and what would be a good number of LUCK to start with if I want to have 10 by the end?

Also, I am thinking about either playing through most of the game with a Sniper Rifle or an Assault Rifle (upgraded and constant bursting). Which traits/perks should I go for? Just more and better criticals?

Also, even though I am going for Sniping and criticals, I am not too keen on aimed shots. Would Fast Shot still be a good trait for this char?

edit: This is what I have decided to do this far, please comment:
STR: 5
PER: 6
END: 6
CHA: 2
INT: 8
AGI: 10
LUC: 10

As for NPCs, I usually go for a combo between Skynet/Sulik/Cassidy/Vic, so this time I feel like giving Goris, Marcus and some dog a go. By the end of the game I will have 4 CHA so it ought to be fine.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Where do you find Goris, already?
Mekorig
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mekorig »

IIRC, the "weird brain alignment" is given to you by the Hubologist in NCR. You have to agree whit him, and he will "clean you neuridynes" or something like this. Sometimes it gives you +1 o +2 to Luck, sometimes it takes Luck from you. Better save before doing that.
Best wepons for Sniping are the Gauss Rifle and the Sniper Rifle. Sharpshooter, Sniper, Bonus Ranged Attack and Damage, Action Boy and more Perception/Agility are your friends. MOre criticals is good too.
She says, do you believe
In the one true edge
By fastening your safety belts
And stepping towards the ledge
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

The 'weird brain alignment' is acquired from that enrobed mook of the NCR. A lesser version can be had from their squalid, intellectually inbred nest. May or may not be mutually exclusive, though. If you emphasise critical hits, aimed shots are a superb path to greater combat versatility. To do without is to go without. So, so much.

Ergo, starting with 8 (perhaps 7 ?) Luck would be suggested. Finesse and/or Small Frame would also be useful. Perhaps Gifted, if you have a fondness for dairy. If Small Frame, spend a point (or two) on Charisma and/or Strength to compensate. Other than that, reallocate to Perception and/or Endurance. The AP cost reduction perks are also golden. Sniper is anything but inconspicuous.

The assault rifle is a conformist child of mediocrity. .44 with speed loader is laughter in hand. :drunk:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

S4ur0n27 wrote:Where do you find Goris, already?
Well eventually ~~ Anyway, I could go like right in the beginning and get Marcus, but I will have trouble finding him enough ammo and weapons.
Mekorig wrote:IIRC, the "weird brain alignment" is given to you by the Hubologist in NCR. You have to agree whit him, and he will "clean you neuridynes" or something like this. Sometimes it gives you +1 o +2 to Luck, sometimes it takes Luck from you. Better save before doing that.
Best wepons for Sniping are the Gauss Rifle and the Sniper Rifle. Sharpshooter, Sniper, Bonus Ranged Attack and Damage, Action Boy and more Perception/Agility are your friends. MOre criticals is good too.
Ahh ok, the Zeta-scan. I personally think that the Gauss rifle is one of the best weapons in the game, so I am really sick and tired of using it all the time, and nowadays I just give it to my NPCs.

Hmm I'll experiment with those perks.
Blargh wrote: If you emphasise critical hits, aimed shots are a superb path to greater combat versatility. To do without is to go without. So, so much.

Ergo, starting with 8 (perhaps 7 ?) Luck would be suggested. Finesse and/or Small Frame would also be useful. Perhaps Gifted, if you have a fondness for dairy. If Small Frame, spend a point (or two) on Charisma and/or Strength to compensate. Other than that, reallocate to Perception and/or Endurance. The AP cost reduction perks are also golden. Sniper is anything but inconspicuous.

The assault rifle is a conformist child of mediocrity. .44 with speed loader is laughter in hand. :drunk:
I'm building a luck based char, so I might as stick to aimed shots, I presume. At the moment, I'm thinking of taking Gifted (I always have excessive skill points).

So, it's seems that I'll go for Critcal/Luck perks all the way, until I get Bonus Rate of Fire and Sniper.

Thanks a lot guys.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Quick question!

Post by Koki »

Oh, last time I was replaying FO2 I went with very similiar build. Fast Shot is by all means ok for a "sniper".

As for weapon of choice, I ended up using Desert Eagle almost exclusively. Seriously. I tried all other fancy toys, but nothing beats the FMJ. Wasted a bit of time walking between Gecko and Vault City to get some ammo though. Rare.
Later I switched to Gauss Pistol of course and used it till the end of the game. But when you get Sniper you can use even Pipe Rifle or something.

And get that IN up to 10 will ya?

And perks are the usual, Bonus Move, Action Boy, Better Criticals, More Criticals, Sniper.
Serious Business.
Cantor
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Quick question!

Post by Cantor »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:edit: This is what I have decided to do this far, please comment:
If you want to have the best possible character then just create the boosted gunfighter from Pers walkthrough.
If you only want to enjoy the game then create any character you can imagin.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Well, I decided to just start up and play the game. Now, for a while, I had had the idea of making "The Assault Rifle" build, mainly try to use the Assault rifle almost exclusively, so once I got my hands on one (after finishing the Slags' quest) I was eager to try it out.

My god it's imbalanced.

I went back to Den and took out Metzger and his crew single-handedly, (no NPCs), no Psycho and only had to use some Stimpaks. Playing with Agility 10 (10 APs) and Fast Shot (I also had Skeeter upgrade my Assault Rifle), meant that I could make 2 bursts a round, meaning 2 kills per turn. Also, you hardly have to reload (100 ammo capacity = 10 bursts).

edit: and I play on rough combat difficulty.

So I am really happy with this build, but I have a hairy feeling that endgame will get incredibly difficult if I stick to this.

Also, what would you suggest doing with a high luck char? Anything special?
Cantor wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:edit: This is what I have decided to do this far, please comment:
If you want to have the best possible character then just create the boosted gunfighter from Pers walkthrough.
If you only want to enjoy the game then create any character you can imagin.
Well, there are about 2 builds that I haven't played yet, and those are high luck (playing now) and stupid character (too frustrating), other than that, I've tried probably everything out there.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Goris is found in V13 in the SE computer room on the bottom floor
does this work
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

I took Metzger and his crew single-handedly with a Desert Eagle too you know...

And don't say 'imbalanced'. Ever.
Serious Business.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Bozar + Fast Shot is all you need

Last I played FO2 I killed everyone that annoyed me. Turns are quite too long when you wipe out entire cities, though, so I quit. :|
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

I prefer a gauss rifle with a level of bonus rate of fire, a critical to the eyes kills almost anything
does this work
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

fallout ranger wrote:I prefer a gauss rifle with a level of bonus rate of fire, a critical to the eyes kills almost anything
Yeah, but that's end game :rolleyes:
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

WHAT? You can get one the minute you go to SF.
does this work
TheShodan
Regular
Regular

Post by TheShodan »

Yeah, but that's pretty close to end game.

You know, I've never played F02 with melee weapons only.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

TheShodan wrote:Yeah, but that's pretty close to end game.

You know, I've never played F02 with melee weapons only.
Try it, very fun, and completely imbalanced once you get the Slayer perk.
fallout ranger wrote:WHAT? You can get one the minute you go to SF.
Yeah, but I don't enjoy doing that ;\

You can get power armor within 5min from Navarro, but it ruins the game.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

true
does this work
Our Host!