Refresher on Holodiscs and papers etc...Please!!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Refresher on Holodiscs and papers etc...Please!!

Post by ogreb »

Ok...I write the text for the holodisc example GSM_Holodisc_1_w ={ blah blah}...
Ok...Import speech file..
Ok...make speech node for holodisc...

Then what? There is no place to check the click speech box like there is for actors.

Do I just make the holodisc an actor? And then click speech path?

Or is the simple fact that I made a text file and speech node enough? And then when you plug it into the PIP that it will play?

That doesn't sound right?!

The same goes for papers....?

I do have to make the holodisc an actor....

So I make a new holodisc as an actor..then I can check appropiate speech paths..nodes ect.

But for naming and description.. I go..
name_[display name]={holodisc}
desc_[display name]={description..ie..You see a battered holodisc}

But under holodisc entity it offers a description option...(Nevermind)

So if I make holodisc entity and make a speech node for it...when it it used on the PIP it will play the speech node?

HELP!!!!

I knew how to do this before...because it not only covered papers, holodiscs, info terminals.
And if I remember I had to make them actors so I could get the click speech option.( and just use appropiate sprites for each)

Update...

Title_ ( forgot that part for the speech node)

So I rename a holodisc...Place it on person in the mission editor ( and not entity editor)

Place name_ and description_ under my Custom campaign generaltext folder.

Write text for holodisc...import text.

Under speech node...I would type in
title_GSM_holdisc_1_w and plug in the speech file..

And the mere fact that it has title in it will allow it to be read by PIP...and the same would apply to papers etc?

How far off am I?...it's been along time since I worked with this editor.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I wish I could help ya but I have no recollection of how to do holodisks :( I sure hope someone does because I could use the refresher too! :?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Hey M-V what rock have you been hiding under?

How's it going?

Holodisks, they will load into pipboy without a title, but you need the title to set it up properly, especially if you want more than one per map or going to use them in generic mission.txt so they are readable from any map.

In the speech file/generic mission file you just need;

title_holodisklabel = {Prodigal Son's return.}

then for the text;

holodisklabel = {There once were 3 FOT modders, who went away for a long, long while... but now they're back?}

You don't use the name/desc unless you want your holodisk to have a more unique description than the one in the items.txt. That only affects what it says in your inventory anyway not the message text in the pipboy.

To link the text and title to the holodisk, in the entity editor (or level editor) above Name is the tab Holodisk, and a field called text label... just enter the holodisklabel there and it should all link up.

You can do papers the same way if you want to read the text in the pipboy window, or IIRC the strange papers in the main campaign just had the text in the description field in the items.txt or speech file.

Consoles you can either make them actors and give them click speech or set up a speech node and then a trigger to display world text when the console is activated.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Ah, now the memory bells are ringing (or is that wringing?). Cheers!
requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Hey M-V what rock have you been hiding under?

How's it going?

holodisklabel = {There once were 3 FOT modders, who went away for a long, long while... but now they're back?}
:lol: I'm fine Req, thanks for asking :) What have you been up to?
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Hey MV

Modding, both FOT and NMA forums :)

Wringing is how I'd pronounce it, but then I can't say my r's and w's. :(
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Lol Req, ringing and wrining are two different things. Bells ring, people wring wet rags and the water falls out. It was a joke :P
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

I know MV, I was trying to say that to me either way it would sound like wringing. :)
rastic
SDF!
SDF!

Post by rastic »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Holodisks, they will load into pipboy without a title, but you need the title to set it up properly, especially if you want more than one per map or going to use them in generic mission.txt so they are readable from any map.

In the speech file/generic mission file you just need;

then for the text;

You don't use the name/desc unless you want your holodisk to have a more unique description than the one in the items.txt. That only affects what it says in your inventory anyway not the message text in the pipboy.

To link the text and title to the holodisk, in the entity editor (or level editor) above Name is the tab Holodisk, and a field called text label... just enter the holodisklabel there and it should all link up.

You can do papers the same way if you want to read the text in the pipboy window, or IIRC the strange papers in the main campaign just had the text in the description field in the items.txt or speech file.

Consoles you can either make them actors and give them click speech or set up a speech node and then a trigger to display world text when the console is activated.

so if i have in speech file of mission

title_holodisklabel = {there is a title}
holodisklabel = {some text}

and entity of holodisk have in text label "holodisklabel" its all what i need for show the text of holodisk (sure loaded speech file of mission)?

Because all what its show for me if i am using holodisk is "No info found"

so i guess i missing some important part

EDIT:
OK i found a problem, forgot that if i want test map as singleplayer map (not campaign) need reload speech file.
Our Host!