Spore

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

VasikkA wrote:
Aonaran wrote:(Game with procedural textures in place)
What the hell does that mean? Those screencaptures look way too Nintendo for me. I liked the white/green bacteria pool better.
I actually liked that look better as well, they should have held off on the procedural textures until you get on land or at least the ocean. If you watch the video it should give you a better contextual explanation of what procedural means than I could attempt to sumize (especially in relation to creature movement).
my vocabulary skills is above you.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

yea but textures? it can only by used ironically, like "lets call textures 'procedural' since the guy is calling everything 'procedural'"

or are they really procedural? ie. computed from several variables changed by the player as he interacts with the game, like the creatures movement mode for example.

ok I watched the video again and he uses the "procedural texturing" term, but I guess it refers to pulling 'skin' on the skeleton depending on how the skeleton look - which is 'precedural', and I guess it's not about what colours and patterns appear on that skin, or is it?
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

The creature textures take less than a kb, I'd say that's procedural.
PiP

Post by PiP »

but how would that (colours and aptterns) derive from player's choices? I don't think there was an indication of this in the video; shapes, functions, 'culture' - yea, but colours? ney, I didn't notice that.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Perhaps it hadn't been implemented properly. I'm guessing with all the other shit you can do, choosing the colour of your creature will be possible.

GDC around 20th so new video. Are you pissing your assholes, dickshit? :chainsaw:
:chew:
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

Apparently Will Wright answers any emails people send him about spore.

WWright@maxis.com

Anyone have an estimate on system requirements for this? The video is being run on a laptop and it looks a little stuttered.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

jerman999 wrote:Apparently Will Wright answers any emails people send him about spore.

WWright@maxis.com

Anyone have an estimate on system requirements for this? The video is being run on a laptop and it looks a little stuttered.
That's probably because laptops suck.
TriangleDragon
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TriangleDragon »

WOW :yikes: I've never even heard of this before...

This game will rock, the whole multiplayer/community input it uses will determine if it can be played alot, or a hell-of-a-lot. I really love the creature and architecture editor, I hope it really works as well as its suppost to. If it doesn't it will brake the game completely. It's hard to put it down to a reason but this game could really easily be boring. It stands to reason you'll enjoy one part more than the rest of it, which will be unfortunate because it doesn't seem that any "chapter" lasts terribly long.

I'd love the mutiplayer side of it, to play with a friend... It wouldn't really suit masses, I suspect there will be too many bastards spending their whole day blowing up peoples planets...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It could be vaporware, though.

Like Max Payne :rockon:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Kashluk wrote:It could be vaporware, though.

Like Max Payne :rockon:
I doubt it, I think that are pretty far in development already. Actually, I'm 99% sure that they will release it, whether it sucks or not. There was a PC Gamer article on it a few months ago (was bored out of my ass, so bought one, first one since I was like 12).

TriangleDragon: Even though you have access to other peoples' creations, you can never actually interfere with their planets and stuff. It's multiplayer in the sense that you can share creations, but you cannot go and destroy someone else's world.
Our Host!