Major Fallout Inconsistancy

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Major Fallout Inconsistancy

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

If you play the game through without ever going to the necropolis (and logicially, never getting a water chip), the game still ends when both the master and the vats are destroyed!

And what's worse, the overseer still sticks to his original parting speech! (the part that bugs be is that he says that you saved them all... heh, they're still gonna thirst to death).

I did it as an experiment to see if I could get the game to continue even with both the master and the vats destroyed (dont ask how I got high enough level so quick that I could take them on and not run outta days for the vault). Boy was I dissappointed.

-----

Oh, and the best weapon in the game is the minigun - the plain ol' CZ-53 model minigun (using 5mm).

With even one rank of bonus ranged damage you can kill most mutants in one shot and it's possible to completly wipe the brotherhood base off the face of the map (hafta have AP ammo for those guys though - good thing they supply it for you...).

The bonus ranged damage bumps it up from 7-11 to 9-13, and then 11-15 if you take another rank in it. It was highly effective against even deathclaws... only character it didnt do much good against was the Lietenant (mutie in metal armor) - so I fried him with the turbo plasma rifle. I killed the master in three blasts (hmm, with it doing almost 200 damage per attack no wonder huh?)... with JHP ammo. Did less damage with AP.

The gatling laser isn't as effective since just about everyone and their grandmother has good resistance against lasers. IMO it's only a luxury item - for use if you got more health than you need and you can carry lotsa stuff. Good to sell, but by the time you get them, selling things is nearly irrelevant.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Minigun would also do some real damage with sniper, theoretically.
Well, Fallout is pretty buggy. I've heard if you enter combat mode at the very end, when talking to the Overseer, you can leave. After you leave, I've heard, you can explore the map, but it will screw up if you go back to Vault 13, Military Base, or the Cathedral.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

You would have to start combat pretty fast to get that to work since as soon as you get their he starts talking. I don't know. I 'll have to try it.
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

Starting combat at the end has one tangible reward:

Wathing the Overseer get blown in half, then try to crawl away and get his intestines stuck on a rock. I never tire of watching him crawl away and cough up what looks like a major internal organ.
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

GLP, ya don't have to start combat necessarily, just have to be a berserker or a 1337 3vi1 d00d. But of course, I always just murder him anyway, because it is fun.

As for the minigun being the best, I still hold my opinion that the TPR is the best, because you can aim it. Of course, that doesn't matter worth a darn if you Sniper though....but you can still get an insta-kill if you're lucky with an eyeshot so :P :)

But damagewise, yeah, I guess you're right. Of course, one of the best things for pure, unadulterated damage potential is to be HtH, Fast Shot, Two lvls of Action Boy, Faster HtH Attacks, and Slayer. I killed the Master in one turn easily, as well as the Lieutenant. Unfortunately, the latter was lying on the ground begging for mercy by the time I was done, so no fun death scene there. Just don't make the mistake of picking Heavy handed, as I did. Good for the beginning, but later on that -30% crit damage really sucks.
fuck
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: Major Fallout Inconsistancy

Post by Blarg »

Sirgalahadwizard wrote:If you play the game through without ever going to the necropolis (and logicially, never getting a water chip), the game still ends when both the master and the vats are destroyed!

And what's worse, the overseer still sticks to his original parting speech! (the part that bugs be is that he says that you saved them all... heh, they're still gonna thirst to death).
Perhaps they can safely come out and look for water now that you have destroyed the main threat.
Actually, the developers probably never imagined anyone being able to do that. How did you do it?
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Pretty simple, go to the boneyard and grab a CoC robe. (In the Follower's Library, there are three on the ground on the 1st floor.)
Go to the Cathedral and talk to morpheus after you get a CoC badge from bartering or Lasher. Convince him to take you to the Master. Convince the Master that his plan has failed. (You might have to stop by the BoS for Vree's autopsy.)
Cathedral is taken care of.

Don't forget to hack a computer on the way out to see where the Military base is. Get a radio from the Hub, and head to the Base. Lure away the mutants, and steal the disc with the "KODE" from the lone mutant. Get in and sneak to the lowest level (or just walk there if you have the CoC robe). Steal a card key from one of the CoC techs and swipe in the Vat control computer. Break into it, and set off the silent 3 minute self-destruct. Run.

That should get you to finish in less than 150 days. Also, this is just a basic idea. You probably want to do a few more things, to make it easier.

To do it this way, you need a guy with high speech, steal, and intelligence.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Well, Radoteur, a guy over at Gamefaqs has a pretty good quick finish guide. Read it here. It's the very bottom one, since you're not allowed to link directly to the FAQ's themselves for some reason. It involves a lot of reloading, but it is very interesting actually.

EDIT: Dangit, the link doesn't work. Oh well. Just go to gamefaqs.com, type in Fallout, go to DOS/Windows FAQ's, and, again, it is at the bottom.
fuck
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

This may be the walkthrough that Slave_Master is talking about........

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/ ... _speed.txt

Edit: The link works for me so it should work for the rest of you people....... :)
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Darn, still doesn't work for me. Probably just my browser than. I don't have a firewall.
fuck
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

A thing i noticed that is odd...
If you destroy the vats first then go to the master but agree to join him, you will still get the scene where you are dunked in the vats!?!?!?
How!?!?!?
They have been nuked!
Just a thought. :)
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

A more realistic thing would be him cussing you out if you nuked the vats. Of course, that would preventing talking him into suicide. Well, not really. You could tell him to wait a minute and let you explain why you did it.

That is pretty weird though.

I've got a solution to the original "inconsistency"! :idea: Maybe by you not going to Necropolis, the shift in time prevented the Chosen One from breaking the chip! Therefore, the Overseer is only referring to you destroying the mutant army! Well, maybe not, but it is an explanation! :D
fuck
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

By the way- the bloody mess is already enough to make your character shoot the Overseer! 8O
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Kashluk wrote:By the way- the bloody mess is already enough to make your character shoot the Overseer! 8O
Well, if I were crazy enough to always kill people the most gruesome way possible, I would probably be pissed enough at the Overseer to kill him. Or that since he dies anyway, he has to die the most painful way possible. Personally, I would kill him, and make sure he suffers. But, an upright and honorable person wouldn't, and if you aren't that, you kill him anyway. Or if you're a person why doesn't care about anything.

You should get to see a FMV with the goriest possible death imaginable if you do something challenging.
fuck
Our Host!