Fallout: how to get more ammo by editing saved games?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
KAN
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout: how to get more ammo by editing saved games?

Post by KAN »

Well lately I replayed Fallout again (the first one), but this time I 'cheat' using hex editor; maxing out my attributes and skills by editing the SAVE.DAT file. Well with 10 CHA, for instance, I got every NPCs available (except of Tandy, because I killed the raider's leader before Tandy got kidnapped).

Anyway, I plan to equip everyone with energy weapons (ie Laser Pistol for Ian, Plasma Pistol for Tycho, Ripper for Katja, Turbo Plasma Rifle for myself, etc), but Iin order to do so, I need a lot of small power cells and/or micro fusion cells.

The thing is I never seem to find sufficient supplies. Granted the Gunrunner sells a lot of them, but they're simply not enough. See, this is unlike .223 FMJ, 10mm bullets, or Magnums which can easily 'harvested' by massacring raiders (taking a job to guard a caravan always ensures you a good supply of .223 FMJ). Nope. Once you buy all power cells from the Gunrunners, they're gone forever.

I even went so far by travelling back and forth from Vault-13 to the Military Base to kill some mutants and loot their supplies. Alas, most of them armed with Mingun and Flamer instead of energy weapons, so all I got were always 5mm munitions and the likes instead of the power cells I badly need.

So is there any way to edit the savegame files to alter our inventory? I managed to find attributes and assigned skill points, but not ammo numbers. For example, I currently carry 301 power cells, which translates into 012D when converted to hex. Well I've searched for the said value throughout the SAVE.DAT, but failed to find any. Is there any way to edit it? :(
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

CHEATING IN FALLOUT? THAT'S LOW. NOT TO MENTION UNSPORTSMANLIKE.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
KAN
SDF!
SDF!

Post by KAN »

vx trauma wrote:CHEATING IN FALLOUT? THAT'S LOW. NOT TO MENTION UNSPORTSMANLIKE.
Um, I was replaying. I didn't cheat on the first time!

By the way, is there any way to get endless supply of power cells?
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

You actually ran out of ammo for that? What the hell was your energy skill?
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Editors just ruin the gaming experience. Now cheating in multiplayer is fun, but that's another issue.

Combat knife uses no ammo.
KAN
SDF!
SDF!

Post by KAN »

[HpA]SniperPotato wrote:You actually ran out of ammo for that? What the hell was your energy skill?
Well all my weapon skill (Small Guns, Big Guns, and Energy Weapons) are maxed to 200%, but that's not the only concern. Take a look at Katja, for example. She's quite potent when armed with a Ripper; knocking down a target almost everytime. Alas, that only means she consumes power cells pretty fast.

Now I won't mind if she's using SMG and spraying out bullets like there's no tommorrow, because 10mm ammo is always easy to replenish by attacking raiders (guarding the caravans and such). Alas, that's not the case with power cells; of course the Gunrunners sells a lot of them but the supply will run out eventually.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

This is true.. I never had a problem with running out of the stuff. However, thats me and I reload when I miss a shot.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Xion
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Re: Fallout: how to get more ammo by editing saved games?

Post by Xion »

KAN wrote:So is there any way to edit the savegame files to alter our inventory? (Im gay)
you cheating mofo play the right man play it with pride dont be a cheater, and your gay what the fuck man!? we dont need to know!
I would put something here but i dont know what.... HEY! I did put somthing here whoa now Im confused
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

:cyclops:
Our Host!