Rapid Random Encounters

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Rapid Random Encounters

Post by PaladinHeart »

The last time I fired up my campaign I decided to leave the first area and walk around the world map a bit. To my dismay I couldn't move at all. Random encounters were so frequent that movement was not at all possible. I haven't messed with the default settings for these. Ugh...

Is it because my computer is too fast and making the percentage chances of encounters fire off faster? How do I fix this? Would drastically lowering the chance for encounters to occur make them happen less frequently? Like say there is a 50% chance of deathclaws and 50% chance for rats. Now change them both to 10%. Would it help?..
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

I don't think it's your pc, at least there doesn't seem to be any difference between the encounter rate on my new pc and old one.

Which chance are you talking about in the cam file or campaign text, though lowering either should help.

Have you tried it with different characters with higher/lower outdoorsman?
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

They probably all 3 have low outdoorsman skill.

Every time I would run from combat and then try to move again on the world map and couldn't move even a smidgen. A random encounter would instantly load again. Ugh.. :crazy:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Did you make a new cam file from scratch or just edit the default campaign?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

I edited the default campaign. Well... all the missions are gone but the default encounters table is still there.

requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Hmm most odd, did you import any changes into the cam file? If so perhaps it might of screwed up the encounter rate.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

I'm not sure. It's been so long since I've worked with the editor. :sweat:

I'll look at it and see if I screwed up anyway.

Edit update:

Aha! I found out what the problem was. Not only were there a couple of hefty 50% chances in that area but at least two difficulty types of komodos were there in 100% chances! In one little square! No wonder I kept running into them. :crazy:

I guess without a high outdoorsman skill it would be nearly impossible to move through those areas. Ouch! What were the designers thinking?

Anyways I fixed it and loaded a game and I actually found an "unknown" area on my world map that I had added. The mission needs some work though. As with all my missions... yikes..

Well my next project should be a random encounter map with the triggers and stuff on it I wanted to test. I hope everything works as planned. Otherwise I'm going to have to dumb down my campaign a bit. :anger:

requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

PaladinHeart wrote:Aha! I found out what the problem was. Not only were there a couple of hefty 50% chances in that area but at least two difficulty types of komodos were there in 100% chances! In one little square! No wonder I kept running into them. :crazy:

I guess without a high outdoorsman skill it would be nearly impossible to move through those areas. Ouch! What were the designers thinking?
Sounds more like something screwed up when you edited the campaign as the highest chance of a komodo hard encounter on the default map was around 35 - 40 %. Which square was it do you know?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

It was toward the far southeast. You may be right. I have messed with the editors a lot when I didn't really know much about them. :-P

Our Host!